topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:04 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Help with a link  (Read 11402 times)

alanradio

• Participant
  • Joined in 2017
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Help with a link
« on: March 17, 2017, 03:33 PM »
Hello Everybody.

I am new in this forum and using URL snooper. I have had problems trying to figure it out the url streaming for this radio:

http://player.kissradio.ca/

Please help from some expert member of this forum.

Thanks in advance.

alanradio

• Participant
  • Joined in 2017
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Help with a link
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 10:10 PM »
anyone willing and able to help me out? Sorry, new to this stuff.  Trying to keep my daughter happy!  Cheers and thanks

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 10:58 PM »
I couldn't make any progress getting stream url, sorry..

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Help find a feed link to Radio CKKS - this might help (a bit).
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 05:04 AM »
@alanradio: I'm certainly no "expert", but, as no-one has answered your Q yet, I did some fossicking about and came up with the following. I hope it helps or is of use.

For information on CKKS-FM Kiss Radio 107.5, see:

Note: I presume this is standard (I wouldn't know) - CKKS seems to be a "canned radio" station, which feeds/streams pre-prepared .mp3 files (scheduled and played according to a pre-prepared playlist).
Pasting the above "akacasthops" URL into the browser plays the 1st .mp3 file in the playlist, and changing the variable to 2, or 3, etc., plays the 2nd, 3rd, etc. .mp3 file in the playlist. The .mp3 files are quite lengthy, with music tracks interspersed with advertising tracks.
What this means is that one can listen to the radio station by just incrementing the last number on the right of the URL.

Once could thus listen to the radio station that way. Automating it using (say) an Autohotkey script could be useful, if one wanted to make it simpler and less tedious for the user.
Pressing the little download symbol on the player starts to save the continuous stream to a file named van1049.mp3
Whilst I have been writing this comment in CHS (Clipboard Help & Spell), I have had the download running on the 2nd .mp3 and it has so far accumulated >40Mb - and is still going strong! eventually stopped at 74.5Mb and started playing automatically in my Winamp player. It's not bad either. My 6 y/o son likes the music too.
It's a bit slow to download, probably because it's throttled to streaming speed. Probably not much use unless one is able to gracefully close the file at some point. It closed itself when download finished.
The URL I used was: http://edge13647.ice...an1049?akacasthops=2
I tried downloading that URL with GetRight, but GR couldn't do it as it was not being told how big the file was, so I would guess that the file van1049.mp3 could be a consolidated file of several .mp3 files, with interstitial sub-headers, numbered consecutively 1, 2, 3. etc., or something.(?)

There appears to be no published or findable feed. I tried to get my old free copy of Rarma Radio to find a feed, but it couldn't either.
The only way to listen to it is via something like the vanilla player at top-radio.org (above) or the proprietary player (it's the Akamai Media Player) on the CKKS' own website:

That webpage seems to access:
- but one cannot independently access those as one does not have the requisite authority (key), so presumably the javascript on the web page passes the appropriate key, but I did not try to figure out the protocol for how it might do that. Somebody who understood these things would probably know how to do that though!
It's an interesting puzzle.

Akamai is an Internet advertising/media publications company, so the motivation for the proprietary player is presumably to force and monitor clicks for webpage advertising revenue, by controlling/compelling the user to interact with the player on the CKKS webpage.
This seems a tad excessive as the CKKS audio stream is interspersed with local advertising anyway.

I guess this might be yet another indication of what the marketing folk would call "Conditioning", or "Improving the user experience" or "Engaging the user in the message", which is apparently (so I have been told) an approach derived mainly from the Soviet Union's exemplary marketing methodology - perfected during the period 1930-1955 - of sending people off to the Gulags to "get the message", so that they could "right-think" (think the right way), ha-ha.
Some people (not me, you understand) might say that "those were the days" and that life was so much simpler and happier then, when the USSR was "great", but I couldn't possibly comment.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 05:28 AM by IainB »

alanradio

• Participant
  • Joined in 2017
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 04:27 PM »
IainB, thanks a ton for that heavy lifting....I'll see if I can put that to good use....too bad these stations make it so hard to listen!  Cheers  and thanks again

thehijacker

• Participant
  • Joined in 2017
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2017, 05:29 AM »
Dig little bit further... You can find this:

http://van1049.akaca...aistream.net/van1049

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2017, 05:55 AM »
^^ Oh yes. Interesting. That seems to be the same stream file thing via what looks like a different route.

Quite nice music on that station. My 6 y/o son likes it too.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Help with a link - Kiss Radio (CKKS) (kissradio.ca)
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2018, 04:24 PM »
I was working on an update to the mini-review of RarmaRadio (Rarma Radio (Raimersoft) - Mini-Review) today, and started playing about with it, trying to get it to play the Kiss Radio feed.
RarmaRadio couldn't make sens of any of the links, until I inserted the one (that streams a huge MP3 file) that @thehijacker came up with:<http://van1049.akacast.akamaistream.net/7/176/80909/v1/rogers.akacast.akamaistream.net/van1049>

I added Kiss Radio as a new radio station, giving just that URL as the feed, and copied/pasted in the logo and added a comment linking to this DCF post.
This is what the RarmaRadio Properties panel looked like after that:

15_642x694_03F85198.png

I then played it in RamaRadio: (it was just streaming the MP3 file (the station does not seem to be identified in any database of Canadian radio stations). There is no data in the stream to identify the station, or the tracks/artists currently being played.
This what RarmaRadio looked like whilst the streamed file was playing:

15_1383x588_322A0146.pngHelp with a link

At one point, the audio in the feed mentions "CKKS is Kiss Radio" so I searched that up and found an interesting Wikipedia entry about CKKS-FM at <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CKKS-FM>

I also found another link - this time to Kiss 91.7 <http://player.kiss917.com/?stationletterprefix=k>
Inspection of the HTML code of the webpage at that URL could turn up the feed to be added as a new radio station (Kiss 91.7) to RarmaRadio as well. I must say, both those feeds seem to play nice music streams, and I found the adverts interesting - because they are "foreign" (to me).
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 04:35 PM by IainB »

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I was listening again today to the rather good CKKS-FM Kiss Radio .mp3 file (saved re details above), and noticed that a commercial break announcer said to get the free radio player to play 500+ Canadian Internet stations - he said to just search for "radio player Canada".

So I did the search, and it's a $FREE app from App Store and Google Play - see the link here - <http://radioplayer.ca/app/>

I thought this might be just what @alanradio might have wanted for his daughter, where he says: "Trying to keep my daughter happy!"
...I know how important that can be for a father...    :o

KodeZwerg

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2018
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2018, 05:03 AM »
Here are some more basic hints collected on how you may get correct URL: how-to-find-the-streaming-url-to-add-as-a-custom-station

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2018, 10:35 AM »
@KodeZwerg: Thanks for that link. Useful stuff. I was interested in the pure.uk website too - having long been interested in the potential of DAB technology since first coming across it in the radio in a rental car that I was using at the time.

KodeZwerg

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2018
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2018, 11:44 AM »
You are welcome! Another Idea would be one of SysInternals Monitors, they display pretty exact to what your machine is connected.

ritchievalens

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • Knowledge is Power !!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2020, 06:29 PM »
Hi there

It seems that it is a .m3u8 File and once opened in Winamp or VLC works well.

https://rogers-hls.l...=companionAds%3Atrue