topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:21 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Vole Word to Website Professional  (Read 4525 times)

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Vole Word to Website Professional
« on: February 12, 2017, 03:53 PM »
Vole Word to Website Professional
http://www.bitsdujou...ebsite-professional/

Website
https://sanwhole.com...ts/VoleWordToWebsite

The discount is not the big issue,
I wonder about how this works practically.  Anybody use it?  I like the idea of simply using my standard word processors for direct upload to a web site.  Your thoughts?

And which license makes the most sense if I am going to try to use it.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Vole Word to Website Professional
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 04:49 PM »
No, I haven't used it. However, more often than not you get much more HTML than is strictly required when you let a WYSIWYG word processor create your HTML. Not only do you get more, it is also messy, as in difficult to maintain.

There are other systems that make the creation of online documentation easier. From the "good old days": FrontPage allowed you to do this. Recently I was busy with upgrading the wiki software I am using. In my search I discovered 'BlueSpice'. This is based on the MediaWiki software and comes in a Community and Enterprise version. While not perfect, the Community version does supercharge the MediaWiki software. It makes creating/editing online content much easier. The visual editor that is included in BlueSpice has all that you need (including a content context menu) for simple word processing.

It comes by default with with an exporter to PDF (for a single page or collection of pages), but an exporter for the ODF file format is available too (BSD license).

To make the MediaWiki software work you need web server software that supports PHP and a MySQL database server. XAMPP is a collection of software that contains all the requirements for the MediaWiki software and more.

Caveat: XAMPP is only fit to use on your local PC or LAN, because it is setup for development of websites and not for hosting of websites. There are more than enough alternatives for XAMPP, but the warning remains valid, because these alternatives are also setup for development, not hosting.

For the record: no affiliation, just a happy user (of XAMPP, MediaWiki and now also BlueSpice).

Most people are sufficiently adept with word processors, so I do understand that people would like to use familiar software to create HTML documentation. And that they think this is a smart idea too. But if you the garbage HTML those editors produce, you will want to run away screaming...especially when you "inherit" such documentation and are asked to "clean it up".

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2017, 05:05 PM »
Life Time use + free major Upgrades on this Bits du Jour offer is merely $31.20.

I have never tried Vole Word to Website Pro. Three years ago I tested Sanwhole Vole Explorer, and it was still quite new and of very little interest to me. Version numbers might suggest a lot of improving has been done since then, but be aware that the first version was described this way: "Release records: 1,   18-Apr-2013   3.4.30418:  First release." This does of course not prevent improvements. Vole Windows Expedition is probably the replacement for Vole Explorer, and is now at version 3.57.7021. But as implied, I don't think this company ever had a version 1 or 2 or 3.0

Re: What's your preferred File Manager
-Curt

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 01:34 AM »
Thanks.  Great info all around.

If I am only concerned with having the ability to work with Word documents into WordPress it looks like docxpresso is a good plug-in.  Much better than the built-in Word editing button of WordPress.
https://wordpress.or.../plugins/docxpresso/

And I won't be overriding the WordPress environment with a shell-over.

Docpresso has have a support forum.

Vole allows a number of others websites it can work with, but I plan to be working with WordPress.

Steven 

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 11:29 AM »
As I am much more familiar with Joomla! then with WordPress, I still imagine that a lot (if not all) of the editor extensions available for Joomla! are also available for WordPress. Some of those extensions really crank up the editing options at your disposal. More than enough to cover all your needs. then, after you are finished with creating your document, you can still export these HTML-based documents easily to different file formats.

HTML is usually much easier to generate automatically and is easily converted to different file formats. Converting other file formats into HTML is usually a lot more problematic and hardly ever results in clean HTML.

SKA

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2017, 02:43 AM »
Any tips/advice on which software generates the cleanest HTML from a GUI ?

Rgds
Ska

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2017, 08:38 AM »