topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:15 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Evernote and Rightnote integration  (Read 4146 times)

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Evernote and Rightnote integration
« on: October 11, 2016, 08:21 AM »
Has anyone been using the Rightnote integration with Evernote.

They both are fine programs, and of course if you are using Rightnote the integration will give you a nice cloud and tablet accessibility plus.

What if you are using Evernote as your base note system?  Then, do you find that Rightnote adds much? 
You have multi-layer folders.  Maybe it can look nicer.

Not being too concerned about the $ aspect (you may already have a Rightnote license) do you find that you actually end up working in Rightnote, rather than the Windows Evernote Desktop Client (where I do most Evernote, with a little auxiliary jotting on the road) ?  What are the main pluses that you find in Rightnote usage?    Any problems?

Thanks!

Steven

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Evernote and Rightnote integration
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2016, 09:03 AM »
I have a Rightnote license.  And I don't use it, for many of the reasons you say.  It doesn't really add anything, IMO.  And the Evernote desktop client is a lot better to work in IMO.  And I gather a lot in Evernote with the webclipper- why would I gather it, have it synced up, then have to sync down in order to work on it.

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2016, 04:05 PM »
I use Evernote.
I rarely use Rightnote; when I do it is because it has the spreadsheet option.

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 06:06 PM »
Thanks!

Can you give an example of using the spreadsheet option. 
Why use Rightnote compared to a dedicated spreadsheet, like in LibreOffice?
Is it because you are using it with personal notes?  Or for export?

Steven

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2017, 07:22 PM »
This is on sale again today.

I am still tempted, I am trying to play with it.

One element is keeping notes from various Evernote accounts handy without special permissions within Evernote which can break the bank of the Basic,Premium etc.

Spreadsheet might be good.

They advertise some organizational elements.

My first possible concern.  Each Evernote Notebook opens up a full-blown Rightnote Window.  In my case, I would usually like to see notebooks open up as a tab within a Rightnote instance (at least as an option).  This is the type of natural use of tabs.

Steven
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 07:37 PM by Steven Avery »

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2017, 01:59 AM »
I thought I might be able to chip in with something useful/informative here:
RightNote:
  • Quite coincidentally, I have been trialling RightNote on and off for a while now, and only yesterday upgraded to the latest version for trial/evaluation.

• I have to say that I rather like it. It seems like quite a good PIM, and it does a pretty nifty job of importing entire Scrapbook collections (Scrapbook the Firefox add-in) of web pages and snippets. I note that it also operates as a client for imported Evernote data - which I consider a good idea that could well fill an otherwise seemingly empty niche. It's also able to accept import - though only via copy-and-paste - of many/most OneNote objects - and without apparently changing them. I'd not met anything that could do that nicely, so far.

• Otherwise though, I'm not so sure about it. Exporting stuff out of it seems not so easy and like a lot of PIMs it is ergonomically kinda idiosyncratic. It seems to have a good GUI and a really good hierarchical navigation tree of "topics" - redolent of InfoSelect - but I can't see how to re-use a record under one topic in another topic, without having to duplicate that record first, which seems kinda dumb. Maybe I'm doing it wrong?    :tellme:
    EDIT: There's an awkward kludge/workaround for this - using the Folders and Tags.

GeneralKB:
  • By contrast, I'm also trialling GeneralKB, which has really nifty features that would make it a brilliant pukka free-form relational database - except that they don't seem to work and I am wondering if it isn't really abandonware with an incremented version number, or something. It just sits there "not responding" and has to be terminated via Process Hacker and then restarted to see what it might have succeeded in doing, if anything.     
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 04:30 AM by IainB »