topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 8:40 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: NANY 2017: Feast Day / Fast Day (Android)  (Read 44643 times)

solaris65

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Ambient Mechanics
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2017: Feast Day / Fast Day (Android)
« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2017, 05:07 PM »
Hi neverlight.
If you can think of specific easy feature ideas I'm definitely interested in hearing them.

As for calorie counting -- my experience is that there are lots of very good full featured diet apps that do that kind of thing so I am hesitant to compete with them.
However I do have a very quick calculator type control I could add if we wanted some very basic manual calorie counting..

One thing that just sprang to mind while reading your last post is a "Eating Timer".  Personally, I'm attending a weight management clinic and my dietitian has told me a number of times that one of the key things overweight people need to focus on is "resetting" their eating habits, which included retraining themselves to eat / chew / masticate at a slower rate, which can sometimes be a hard thing to remember to do.

With this in mind, I' wondering if you could possibly add some sort of timer feature that would help in this area..say a count down, similar to a stop watch, that shows you when it's time to stop chewing and swallow.  I'm oversimplifying things here, but I'm guessing you get what I mean.

Anyway, it's just a thought and I know I would personally find it useful.

neverlight

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2017, 07:14 AM »
Hi neverlight.
If you can think of specific easy feature ideas I'm definitely interested in hearing them.

As for calorie counting -- my experience is that there are lots of very good full featured diet apps that do that kind of thing so I am hesitant to compete with them.
However I do have a very quick calculator type control I could add if we wanted some very basic manual calorie counting..

Hey Mousie,

Sorry if it wasn't clear. My bad. I find it unhealthy to not eat anything & was actually hoping for multiple methods (these are mentioned in provided articles). I'm not sure if there's anything similar on Play store though.

The 16/8 Method: Also called the Leangains protocol, it involves skipping breakfast and restricting your daily eating period to 8 hours, for example from 1 pm to 9 pm. Then you “fast” for 16 hours in between.

Eat-Stop-Eat: This involves fasting for 24 hours, once or twice a week, for example by not eating from dinner one day until dinner the next day.

The 5:2 Diet: On two non-consecutive days of the week, only eat 500-600 calories. Eat normally the other 5 days.

And yes, a very simple counter as you mentioned. (see 5:2 eating pattern)

Hopefully, I did not misunderstand app usage.

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2018, 09:19 PM »
Waking up this thread to say -- Long time no see, mouser! I had no idea this app existed, I was just curious if there was any living room talk about intermittent fasting! It turns out I have been intermittent fasting since January 14 and have lost about 22 lbs. (Perhaps I did see it earlier but before I was intermittent fasting so it would not have meant as much to me.) I started off at 16:8 but nowadays I try to have a feasting window of 1 to 4 hours (20:4 to 23:1), and I choose the start and end time daily based on my mood that day. Sometimes I need to edit the Start and Stop time because I change my mind. I have no particular dietary restrictions, although I am free to tweak it if I hit a plateau. In the context of your app, my fasting style does not seem to have a Normal mode, or else Normal and Feast mode are the same thing. I installed your app, but I could not figure out if my fasting style is compatible.  Currently I track my fasts using the Vora app.  I am not following Leangains, I am following the book Delay Don't Deny by Gin Stephens, who leans heavily on on Dr. Jason Fung but without a low-carb emphasis. Most of us don't track calories or macros. She also co-hosts a podcast called the Intermittent Fasting podcast, along with Melanie Avalon, who also does IF but she does paleo as well. At the job I started last year, there are at least 3 of us doing some kind of health or weight related fasting, and we are doing three different flavors of it. I think a 4th is doing some doctor-prescribed fasting to fight inflammation.

In my particular tribe of IFing people, there is a demand for an Android app that allows you to track the feasting window, not just the fasting window (there is an iOS app that does so). Vora is considered the best for Android, but it doesn't have that particular feature.

More people should definitely know about intermittent fasting, it is pretty amazing. I think it is becoming more mainstream, though. I am starting to see more positive articles in mainstream news about it, although everyone seems to have a different version of it.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 06:09 PM by daddydave »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: April 01, 2018, 01:24 PM »
I'm very happy to hear any feature requests for the program!