topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 1:31 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: The Outlook is disappointing  (Read 12191 times)

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
Re: The Outlook is disappointing
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2016, 07:27 AM »
Otherwise I quite like the new Outlook Email interface. Much better thought out than the previous version, e.g. a lot more one-click operations possible (delete etc.).

Now I just have to wait for someone to create a new "dark" Stylish theme for it (as the update broke the old ones).

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2016, 07:48 AM »
That may be the reason why Opera goes straight to the inbox. 

Some kind of reversed singularity: the humanoids dont take it any longer that all progress bars are dissappearing. It is all going to fast this way, straight in to the inbox...  the guts!  :D *BEEP*

Reminds me of the good old days when there were two mail deliveries on weekdays.  A lot of people either didn't have phones or had a party line.  They didn't trust anything important to electronic transmission.  :)  I guess people could print out their would-be emails and snail 'em.  :)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2016, 07:53 AM »
Otherwise I quite like the new Outlook Email interface. Much better thought out than the previous version, e.g. a lot more one-click operations possible (delete etc.).

Now I just have to wait for someone to create a new "dark" Stylish theme for it (as the update broke the old ones).

It looks nicer.  But it seems to me the old Hotmail interface reacted to the mouse much faster.  Mouse hover is more like mouse hibernation now.  You have to wait until the Winter is over for it to hot track the items.  :)

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2016, 08:30 AM »
Mouse hover is more like mouse hibernation now.  You have to wait until the Winter is over for it to hot track the items.  :)

This might have to do with your machine specs and internet connection. Mouse hover is instant for me (I'm on a 13MB/sec broadband connection with a core i5 8GB RAM chromebook).

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2016, 09:35 AM »
Mouse hover is more like mouse hibernation now.  You have to wait until the Winter is over for it to hot track the items.  :)

This might have to do with your machine specs and internet connection. Mouse hover is instant for me (I'm on a 13MB/sec broadband connection with a core i5 8GB RAM chromebook).

Mostly it seems to be Firefox newer than 42.0.  I don't know why but anything after that version has delays that never used to be there.  But I have already gone into it on the FF thread.  I just like to complain.  Opera 40.x reacts much better most of the time.  The drag and drop is still kind of sketchy.  I created a folder Reminders and dragging an email from inbox to it seems to take much too long.  I swear many of these operations worked better in the old Netscape.

I reverted to FF 42.0 just because some things just work with FF and I already have them set up so it is too soon to jettison the thing entirely.  I must say I was skeptical when Opera moved to chrome based but overall it seems pretty snappy.  A few minor irritations like not being able to specify Tile text in SpeedDial and having to play around to get the thumbnail into the dial if you prefer that to a tile etc..  But the thing comes up and loads the dial page much faster than FF 42.0 even.  Edit:  so it should.  It uses an exe instance per extension, plus one for each tab and a couple thrown in for good measure.  So with 3 or 4 tabs open I can easily have a dozen exe instances running.  But they seem fairly well behaved.  With power profile on Balanced on my Laptop I don't notice the charge being drained down(I almost always run plugged in.)

:)

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2016, 04:15 AM »

Mostly it seems to be Firefox newer than 42.0.

I see what you meant now. I have just experienced the same problem in Chrome and IE on a powerful Win7 machine. It seems like Outlook is waiting for some stuff to download before it can display the mouse hover.

I think it's a Windows (OS) problem rather than a Firefox or machine specs problem, as on a lighter OS such as Chrome OS (Chromebook) all this is instant. Maybe Outlook.com is just too resource-intensive for older OS's.

This is a bit ironic though as Outlook is an MS product and so it should have the best performance on its own OS. I don't have time to test it now but I presume maybe it's faster in Edge on Win10?

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2016, 06:13 AM »
Maybe Outlook.com is just too resource-intensive for older OS's.

the Outlook is cloudy . . .
Tom

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2016, 06:54 AM »
Maybe Outlook.com is just too resource-intensive for older OS's.

the Outlook is cloudy . . .

Speaking of which Hurricane Mathew shows more chance of Miami experiencing tropical strength winds.  I hope it veers off.  Whipping rain is no fun when you are outside.  I have been lucky so far.  Most tropical storms miss Miami.  We get the wash rainstorms from many miles away.  But that inspires less paranoia than wondering where you will hunker down.

But as for the old OS theory, Opera 12.18 x64 snaps open accessing the same account on the same machine.  And the Firefox thing is not just on Outlook.  If I use any FF newer than 42.0 the text for my Bookmark Folders appears on the Bookmarks Bar.  But the folder icons don't fill in for about 20 seconds.  On 42.0 it is nearly instant.  Opera 12 does not encounter the Progress Bar Splash Page because I never signed in to Outlook with it.  Always through the hotmail portal.  They must save some identifier on the server because once I sign in with a particular browser I am stuck with the splash screen forever.