topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 3:12 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Opera browser now comes with baked-in VPN  (Read 6774 times)

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Opera browser now comes with baked-in VPN
« on: April 25, 2016, 09:50 PM »
The sale to Some Chinese investors has been postponed, so in the meantime, Opera devs have been busy with a pretty cool new browser feature...
Opera browser bakes in free VPN
Opera's baked-in VPN will let users access sites blocked in their countries, or by their employers or schools. It will also anonymize the user -- the VPN disguises the actual IP address of the user -- by making it appear that the browser originated elsewhere. In a public setting, such as a coffee shop's Wi-Fi network, a VPN also provides a secure "tunnel" to the destination, preventing theft of credentials and personal information like passwords.

from over there... up and to the right... no, more to the left... wait, no, down just a hair.. aw cripes, never mind, I'll get it myself.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Opera browser now comes with baked-in VPN
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2016, 07:00 AM »
Any VPN I ever tried on the college WiFi just did not function.  Apparently they know what it is and how to thwart it.  I haven't tried at a cafe or similar establishment.  I don't quite get why they do what they do here at school.  You can upload to a cloud service through your browser, but FTP using an FTP client such as FileZilla will not connect.  So it cannot be to save bandwidth.  Perhaps it is because vanilla FTP is insecure.  I am just guessing though.

But I doubt the VPN would establish just because it is wrapped in Opera.  At least not on this WiFi at MDC.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 10:21 AM »
 The stable 40.x release has the VPN now:

http://www.opera.com...in-opera-browser-40/

I am waiting for the Portable version before trying it.  Mainly because I have legacy Opera 12.18 64 bit installed.  With the portable if I don't like it I can just delete the folder(most likely.)

hamradio

• Joined in 2006
  • Amateur Radio Guy
    • View Profile
    • HamRadioUSA.net
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2016, 04:23 PM »

I am waiting for the Portable version before trying it.  Mainly because I have legacy Opera 12.18 64 bit installed.  With the portable if I don't like it I can just delete the folder(most likely.)

If you go into the options of the download I believe it has a "Stand-alone installation (USB)" option as seen below...

screen_09212016.pngOpera browser now comes with baked-in VPN

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2016, 04:26 PM »

If you go into the options of the download I believe it has a "Stand-alone installation (USB)" option as seen below...

[ Invalid Attachment ]

I hate it when they fake me out like that.  :)
Thanks.   :Thmbsup:

Edit: I am a bit confused now.  Your screen shot shows "invalid attachment"

Never mind.  I see it now.  :)

« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 04:51 PM by MilesAhead »

hamradio

• Joined in 2006
  • Amateur Radio Guy
    • View Profile
    • HamRadioUSA.net
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2016, 04:34 PM »

[ Invalid Attachment ]

I hate it when they fake me out like that.  :)
Thanks.   :Thmbsup:

You're welcome and no problem glad I could help. :)

Note: Also I believe the developer installer also has that option if I remember correctly for those who want to try the latest builds.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2016, 04:56 PM »
Maybe you can help me with one other thing?  I decided to install only for myself rather than USB.  No matter what I do I cannot get more than 5 dials across in Speed Dial.  I even tried the Download Chrome Extensions extension to put in Fast Dial as I have that in both FF and SlimJet chrome.  It doesn't work(meaning the chrome extensions hang on install.)  I bump the max columns to 11, whatever in the Speed Dial that comes as default.  Five dial columns is it.  Pretty strange.  :)

hamradio

• Joined in 2006
  • Amateur Radio Guy
    • View Profile
    • HamRadioUSA.net
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2016, 08:39 PM »
Maybe you can help me with one other thing?  I decided to install only for myself rather than USB.  No matter what I do I cannot get more than 5 dials across in Speed Dial.  I even tried the Download Chrome Extensions extension to put in Fast Dial as I have that in both FF and SlimJet chrome.  It doesn't work(meaning the chrome extensions hang on install.)  I bump the max columns to 11, whatever in the Speed Dial that comes as default.  Five dial columns is it.  Pretty strange.  :)

If you have changed it in Opera advanced settings in browser sidebar and it is still doing that then perhaps it is something messing with it, as when I change it there it seems to rework it for the new selection.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2016, 06:46 AM »

If you have changed it in Opera advanced settings in browser sidebar and it is still doing that then perhaps it is something messing with it, as when I change it there it seems to rework it for the new selection.

Ok.  Thanks for the info.  :)

Edit: I found a note that zooming out with Control - hotkey lets it use more columns.  Too easy.  I never would have figured it out.  :)

« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 07:16 AM by MilesAhead »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2016, 08:42 AM »
This is pretty snappy.  It seems to like to use Number of Tabs + 2 processes.

I found out the "easy" way to import Fast Dial was just to Select All in Fast Dial imported bookmarks folder, then go to My Folders and paste.  After that it is a matter of getting a thumbnail instead of a tile.  Most of them hitting the Heart will put the thumbnail on the dial.  But not always.  Why it fails on some is mysterious.  :)

But at least now I have them in the order to which I am habituated.  :)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2016, 10:01 AM »
btw Softpedia does have a dedicated listing for Opera Portable 40.x as of today.  :)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2016, 01:21 PM »
This browser is very responsive.  But some things never change.  Even though it has moved from the old Opera innards to chrome based, the favicons still do not work.  They have gotten worse.  The only bookmarks that show favicons are non-folder bookmarks on the bookmarks bar.  All the others just show a black shadow.  If it is a folder the black shadow is in the shape of a folder.  If it is a single bookmark the black shadow is in the shape of a page.  Vivaldi is the same thing.  Really weird.

There is no Xmarks support so I can't even try to upload/download sync it in and see if I get lucky.  Dang!

Edit:  OK.  After deleting all bookmarks and importing from Firefox instead of chrome, when I open all bookmarks in a folder in the bookmarks bar, the favicons fill in.  It is a pain to do it manually but I haven't found a "check all bookmarks" type of extension for opera.  I'll get there eventually.  :)

Edit2:  I missed the obvious.  The SlimJet Favicons file was over twice the size of the Opera one.  I renamed the Opera one to Favicons.bak and copied the SlimJet Favicons file.  Bingo!  All filled in.  :)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 01:22 PM by MilesAhead »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2016, 09:16 PM »
I used to get into it on the old Opera Community about the lack of an AutoCopy function for Opera.  I am happy to see that this chrome based Opera has a nearly automatic copy built in.  If enabled after highlighting text a pop up menu appears when you release the mouse button.  The choices are Search with the default search engine or Copy to clipboard.  I very much like not having to open the context menu just to select the Copy command.   :up:

This feature may be nothing new but I had been holding out sticking with the x64 Opera 12.18.  This is my first go around with the chrome based flavor.  So far there is a lot to like.

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2016, 09:18 AM »
I'm positive that this is rather a proxy than a VPN.

Also: LOL, Opera. They have been dead since their WebKitization. Their good devs are all working for Vivaldi now.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2016, 06:19 PM »
I'm positive that this is rather a proxy than a VPN.

Also: LOL, Opera. They have been dead since their WebKitization. Their good devs are all working for Vivaldi now.

I gave Vivaldi a good trial a short time ago.  No way it could be my primary browser.  This Opera 40.x 32 bit snaps open even faster than SlimJet.  Whether it will last is another matter.  But FF is dead in the water for me until they fix whatever is killing everything after 42.0.  I guess I have to accept I will be juggling browsers more or less every few months.  Probably the main reason I wrote the BingThing.  It is easy to replace an existing browser button with another.