Well, it's certainly very handy, and dead simple too. It's an ergonomic efficiency and effectiveness improvement really.
It's the only complex combo that I could construct where the key's function
that you disable (CapsLock) is effectively only partially
disabled (i.e., there's no Lock
now) and yet it retains its usefulness for the useful part of its original
you have it already physically located right next to the other Shift key
(LeftShift), thus permitting a new two-left-fingers
The net result from an ergonomics perspective is that the function of the CapsLock key has effectively only been modified
slightly, so it behaves as a typical user might otherwise expect it to, and
there are no more ALL CAPS mistakes and
the (still three)
Shift keys can be used interchangeably as Shift keys from the keyboard and in AHK.
In AHK it makes no difference which one you use as a purely Shift function key, but you can specify precisely which one you need, as necessary:
- + = SHIFT - could be either a LeftSHIFT or RightSHIFT key.
- <+ = LeftSHIFT - there is still just one of these on the keyboard.
- >+ = RightSHIFT - there are two of these on the keyboard now.
Examples of my experiences, so far, of using Shift or Left/RightShift AHK hotkey combos:To launch proggies:
To launch AHK utilities:
- <+>+c:: ; LeftShift+RightShift+C- loads Calculator.
- <+>+d:: ;LeftShift+RightShift+D - loads Concise Oxford Dictionary. - places any selected text in Clipboard and opens Concise Oxford Dictionary with it.
- <+>+f:: ; LShift+RShift+F - loads Firefox (does not work as SHIFT sensing brings up disable add-ons screen).
- <+>+e:: ;LeftShift+RightShift+E - loads Search Everything.
- <+>+`:: ; LeftShift+RightShift+` - loads FARR (Tilde on its own brings up FARR if it is already running.
- <+>+g:: ; LeftShift+RightShift+G - loads GetRight.
- <+>+i:: ; LeftShift+RightShift+I - loads InfoSelect.
- <+>+n:: ; LeftShift+RightShift+n - loads Notepad (EditPad Lite 7) with 3 files, ready for editing.
- >+#H:: ; RightSHIFT+Win+H - Display panel of Windows system hotkeys.
- >+#O:: ; RightSHIFT+Win+O - Display panel of OneNote hotkeys per OneNote Help.
- <+^d:: ; LeftShift+Ctrl+d - outputs current date+time.
- <+^H:: ; LeftShift+Ctrl+h - displays Autohotkey Help file.
- <+^r:: ; LeftShift+Ctrl+R - Reloads/Restarts Autohotkey main script.