topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 5:42 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: gateway ta6 laptop  (Read 35333 times)

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: gateway ta6 laptop
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2016, 08:26 AM »
If push comes to shove...you could remove its driver and disable the device in the Windows Device Manager. That means though that you will not be able to use the trackpad at all. Be sure to carry a working computer mouse with you the whole time when you decide to go drastic like this.
I am not sure if I found it but it only allows uninstall, not disable. Synaptics PS/2 Port TouchPad. "Sample rate 100 reports/second" can be modified. I can't uninstall if I'm not sure that's all that will be affected.

Disable.device.pnggateway ta6 laptop
The image above is taken from Windows Server 2012, but Windows XP has a similar window. The link leads you to instructions (from Microsoft itself) on how to access this window in Windows XP. The section you need is called: Device Manager.

In there you can update drivers, remove drivers (Windows XP will try to re-install the next time you reboot) or disable the device (Windows XP won't try to re-install drivers).

But if you want to be absolutely sure, the main board in the laptop provides power to the device and you can disconnect that link. When you do that Windows won't even see the device anymore and you are sure not to be bothered anymore by the track pad. At all.

If you like the last option the most, you will need to find a way to open your laptop in a proper manner, so you can assemble it again. A brisk search revealed this document (pdf) that shows how to properly disassemble your Gateway laptop. Do the steps in reverse to assemble the laptop back into a working state. That manual might also give you an idea about properly mounting the plate that keeps falling off. 

holt

• Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2016, 02:11 AM »
http://superuser.com/questions/301013/how-does-touchpad-in-laptop-detect-a-tap?rq=1

I read this article, and after tapping harder on my touchpad a few times it seemed to wake up, and seems to be working better. I can scroll a page with the narrow right part that has up and down chevrons now; before, that never did anything but now it scrolls more like it should. So I think I'll play with it for awhile.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2016, 08:49 AM »
As I hate track-pads with a passion, you won't see me use a laptop much. But when someone hands me one for repair, I will make sure to have an extra mouse. Even prefer a track-ball, joystick (how else do you call that thing in the center of Thinkpad keyboard) or keyboard navigation over the track-pad.

Hence I am quick with suggestions to disable track-pads in any way or form.  ;)  But, whatever works for you...works for you.  :)

If you didn't do this already, I would still suggest to take a look at the pdf manual from my previous post. It shows you how to disassemble the laptop completely in the correct order and which tools you require. With that manual you should be able to do most, if not all, of the hardware maintenance your laptop requires in its technical lifespan.

holt

• Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2016, 07:21 PM »
I'll check out your manual.

Just for grins; GATEWAY TA6 take apart, how-to video  :D

PS - Where do people get that kind of energy?

holt

• Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2016, 01:57 PM »
In there you can update drivers, remove drivers (Windows XP will try to re-install the next time you reboot)
Interesting.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 05:26 PM by holt »

holt

• Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2016, 05:27 PM »
A laminated business card held in place with Scotch invisible tape. So far, works fine; now if I can just stop flinching everytime I type something.

holt

• Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2016, 01:42 PM »
Can someone please tell me where I can download a safe copy of Nero 7 Ultra?

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2016, 03:30 PM »
Can someone please tell me where I can download a safe copy of Nero 7 Ultra?
Buy the latest at http://www.nero.com or an outdated stock-item on www.ebay.com etc.

When in need of a free CD/DVD burning suite: use google to find any of the gazillion suites available.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2016, 03:47 PM »
ImgBurn...that used to be my favorite burning software, back in the days I still used CDs/DVDs to store stuff on. Nowadays I only use pen drives and (portable) hard disks (and virtualized" tapes in my Bacula setup, but that is a whole different story). Much more convenient and faster too.

Nero 5.x was the last version of Nero I used for quite a long time actually. Way too much bloat in later versions of Nero steered me towards ImgBurn v2.5.2, which is the embodiment of 'lean and mean' software (3MByte in total). It is freeware and, as a bonus, it works as portable application too. Never looked back or for other burning software since.

holt

• Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2016, 08:49 PM »
ImgBurn...that used to be my favorite burning software, back in the days I still used CDs/DVDs to store stuff on. Nowadays I only use pen drives and (portable) hard disks (and virtualized" tapes in my Bacula setup, but that is a whole different story). Much more convenient and faster too.

Nero 5.x was the last version of Nero I used for quite a long time actually. Way too much bloat in later versions of Nero steered me towards ImgBurn v2.5.2, which is the embodiment of 'lean and mean' software (3MByte in total). It is freeware and, as a bonus, it works as portable application too. Never looked back or for other burning software since.
I presume ImgBurn does more than 'burn image files'. I own a purchased serial number to Nero 7 Ultra, and always liked it. I downloaded a copy, installed it perfectly, and it took up one-half gig. I tried to burn a copy of the download of it to disk, and got the error 'an exception has occurred' and 'out of memory', twice. I only have 25GB of free space left anyway, so I uninstalled it, and am thinking seriously about your 3MB ImgBurn suggestion.

holt

• Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2016, 12:07 AM »
The last time I bought a flash or 'thumb' drive, I remember paying one dollar per gig. I just found out I can get a 512gb for $14 with free shipping on ebay. I recall there was a scam going on a few years ago with fake thumb drives, so I have to ask is this legit? My vintage laptop with its USB 2.0 ports would probably take a month to read or write all 512gb in one operation, but that would be the last thumb drive I would ever have to buy for my laptop.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 12:31 AM by holt »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2016, 05:43 AM »
The last time I bought a flash or 'thumb' drive, I remember paying one dollar per gig. I just found out I can get a 512gb for $14 with free shipping on ebay.

how about a link to same?
Tom

holt

• Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2016, 02:42 PM »
The last time I bought a flash or 'thumb' drive, I remember paying one dollar per gig. I just found out I can get a 512gb for $14 with free shipping on ebay.

how about a link to same?
512GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Metal Swivel High Speed Memory Stick Thumb Pen Gifts
$13.66 & free shipping

512GB Mini Tiny USB 2.0 Flash Memory Stick Pen Drive Storage Thumb new hot !!
$12.90 & free shipping

I'm thinking of buying, and seeking opinions. The laptop I was given is about 10 years old, and only has USB 2.0 anyway, so it would be pointless to pay more for USB 3.0 or greater. I do wish to be warned if the offers may be bogus somehow, because a few years back there were bogus thumb drives being offered on ebay, but times change and the technology seems legit in this case.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 02:51 PM by holt »

holt

• Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2016, 11:08 PM »
For only fourteen bucks it's a steal. Now I'm thinking, it's also about the time I would put in on this, and is there any option besides this anyone would like to suggest? Any other thumb drive?

holt

• Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2016, 11:11 PM »
....(portable) hard disks (and virtualized" tapes....
I'm not sure what you're referring to but it sounds interesting? Something that could be hooked up to a laptop?

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2016, 05:41 AM »
Portable hard disks (2.5 inch sized ones) would be a good deal for you. Those are available in lots of places, 1TByte and 2TByte models aren't that expensive (think in a 60 to 100 USD range) and usually much faster than a thumb drive, even on USB 2.0 ports. 

Bacula is an extensive (Linux based) backup solution and its "Virtualized tapes" are in essence just big files on a hard disk in my case...which could be spooled to a real tape drive, if I had one of those still.   

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2016, 01:04 PM »
$13.66 & free shipping
[..]
I'm thinking of buying, and seeking opinions. The laptop I was given is about 10 years old, and only has USB 2.0 anyway, so it would be pointless to pay more for USB 3.0 or greater. I do wish to be warned if the offers may be bogus somehow, because a few years back there were bogus thumb drives being offered on ebay, but times change and the technology seems legit in this case.

it's hard to believe they're real at that price, but I dont know :-/
The negative reviews the seller gets are all related to SD cards that dont have the advertised space:
http://feedback.ebay...rkparms=negative_180
which would make me wary.

I suspect many people buy, see 512GB listed as size on PC and give positive feedback -- but AFAIK that can be 'fixed', and it's only when they run out of space @ 32GB or whatever, that they realise they've been conned.
Tom

holt

• Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2016, 03:39 PM »
$13.66 & free shipping
[..]

it's hard to believe they're real at that price, but I dont know :-/
The negative reviews the seller gets are all related to SD cards that dont have the advertised space:
http://feedback.ebay...rkparms=negative_180
which would make me wary.

I suspect many people buy, see 512GB listed as size on PC and give positive feedback -- but AFAIK that can be 'fixed', and it's only when they run out of space @ 32GB or whatever, that they realise they've been conned.
I can hardly believe my eyes, but you're right. It's the same con. A ripoff, the reviews tell all:
//--PC shows it is 256GB but it's not able to hold that much-FAKE, do not buy.
--Memory card does not work...beware of low price
--Works only to 10G!

//
Imagine that.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 07:24 PM by holt »

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2016, 01:29 AM »
Well, as usual when the price is too good to be true: it probably is :huh:

holt

• Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2016, 06:38 PM »
Well, as usual when the price is too good to be true: it probably is :huh:
...even in ebay, with a trusted seller of alleged good repute, who is actually a ripoff con artist.

My freebie ten year old laptop came with on-board dvd burning software known as Cyberlink Power2Go, with a UI that looks a lot like Nero 7 layout. The laptop lacks sufficient memory (2GB) to run Nero, so I uninstalled Nero, but wanted to save it to a dvd I have, titled 'downloads'. I finally got daring enough to try burning my 190MB Nero download to that dvd. Power2Go ran almost like Nero, took 10 minutes to burn to dvd, and 'failed'. The entire laptop OS locked. I finally had to power off by holding on the power button until it shut down the OS. On reboot, the laptop tried to read the dvd and went into a continuous loop feedback. I powered off with the power button again, and used a straightened paper clip to manually eject the now-toxic dvd, which went straight into the 'circular file' (waste paper basket). On reboot, the laptop took an extra 5 minutes to reach desktop, but recovered. I went online and found out how to create a restore point in XP and ran it.

I guess I'll try ImgBurn next.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 11:22 PM by holt »

holt

• Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2016, 09:10 PM »
I downloaded ImgBurn from the official website, and my anti-virus triggered a warning for a 'pup' or 'potentially unwanted program', named -of all things- PUP-FCA. Google has no info. Can anyone please advise. Thanks.

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2016, 01:35 AM »
My AV (Symantec) just gave a warning about it containing OpenCandy, but that's relatively harmless. I tried the ImgBurn provided mirror, btw, maybe other mirrors trigger the warning based on their hostname?

holt

• Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2016, 12:02 PM »
My AV (Symantec) just gave a warning about it containing OpenCandy, but that's relatively harmless. I tried the ImgBurn provided mirror, btw, maybe other mirrors trigger the warning based on their hostname?
Thanks. After I install ImgBurn, I'll just run Malwarebytes and a few other anti-pup scans to do a general pup cleanup.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2016, 03:49 PM »
Thanks. After I install ImgBurn, I'll just run Malwarebytes and a few other anti-pup scans to do a general pup cleanup.

when installing, just be careful:
read each dialog window carefully, make sure to avoid installing any additional toolbars or software (sometimes it can be done/phrased sneakily). Generally, that's enough (with opencandy at any rate).
Tom

holt

• Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2016, 05:52 PM »
That's very good advice, and thanks. I'm thinking of -or strongly tempted anyway- to make a separate post, titled something like "McAfee's Nasty Little Secret" or words to that effect. I had purchased a McAfee Key Code card from a non-McAfee vendor who advertised it for a cut-rate price as 'compatible with Windows XP', and found out it didn't cover Windows XP, and refused to install. McAfee's hot line chat representative, after I courteously explained my predicament and showed my proof of purchase with a genuine McAfee Key Code serial number, 'made good' and very nicely set me up with a valid subscription that works with Windows XP.

But in the process, I learned that McAfee normally requires your credit card number as part of the Key Code validation/authentication process, and sets you up for automatic renewal the NEXT time around (1 year later) at full retail price (and very exorbitant). I somehow circumvented and skirted past this little high-pressure sales gambit this time, because of my product Key Code problem; the chat rep validated me differently and didn't ask me to crank in a credit card number.

But NEXT time I need to renew, 1 year from now, I am forewarned in advance what McAfee's game plan will be; "Give us your credit card number, and agree to automatic renewal charges in advance (at McAfee's exploitive online website full retail price), or we won't let you register THIS time." That's quite a surprise, and nobody gets advance warning of it until they go to register what they've already purchased, even if elsewhere such as from an Ebay or Amazon.com reseller first. I royally dread advance purchase agreements like that, especially compulsory ones, and most especially surprise compulsory ones. NEXT time, I will know what to expect, and I don't think I will be purchasing McAfee no matter how nice their product is. I do not like that kind of sales approach.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 06:01 PM by holt »