topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 1:59 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Best Feature  (Read 5706 times)

beethoven

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Best Feature
« on: July 01, 2006, 11:15 PM »
I just downloaded FARR and at this point just play around with it. I am impressed with how fast and responsive it is and can see many ways of configuring it.
As it also seems a bit overwhelming, I am just wondering what other users feel to be the most important feature they use.
I know from other software that often features and tricks are somewhat hidden and I often discover some of the best gems only long after having used the program by reading the relevant forums. Obviously everyone has different criteria, but any comments would help me to quickly find the "goodies" that may not be so obvious when just reading the helpfile.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Best Feature
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2006, 11:21 PM »
i'd say the most non-obvious but useful feature is that you can make "alias groups", which act like menus of a specific set of programs.

for example, you can make an alias group called "games" and place your favorite games in it, and then when you type "games" it will present you with a list of these items to choose from.

other features that may not be obvious:
you can drag and drop files found into other programs.
you can use the function keys or alt+# keys to launch programs.
you can customize the appearance skin.

most importantly:
we are very much debating features for v2 so please do feel free to post them on one of the v2 discussion threads in this section.

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2006, 12:08 AM »
What mouser said. The groups/aliases feature is the BEST feature I have seen in FARR although there is one feature mouser knows I want in FARR2 more than any other. Groups allow you to do custom searches of groups that return specific results. Like me, I have a control panel applet that returns a control panel icon after I type "cp". Typing CP lists all contents of the control panel folder, and then I can refine it quickly to access, say, the display control panel.

Mess with this, its a great feature.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2006, 12:09 AM »
by the way, i forgot to say, welcome to the site beethoven, i enjoy your music quite a lot!  :)

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2006, 09:42 AM »
Farr's calculator!!! (notice that it comes pre-installed on recent versions of farr).

The aliases sure are what makes farr completelly different from the rest. To have some idea of how powerfull they are, try writing the following in farr:
email [email protected] i love find and run robot!
:D

beethoven

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2006, 08:34 PM »
I am used to open some of my "favourite" files via the office short cut bar. However there are limitations as to how many files you want to put in there. The alias function in FARR is great as it gives me so many more options - I am only scraping on the surface so far but I am greatly impressed. :Thmbsup: