topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:23 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Raspberry Pi Zero -- $5.00  (Read 9304 times)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Raspberry Pi Zero -- $5.00
« on: November 26, 2015, 10:06 AM »
$5 for a Raspberry Pi Zero!  :o

https://www.raspberr...g/raspberry-pi-zero/

Of all the things we do at Raspberry Pi, driving down the cost of computer hardware remains one of the most important. Even in the developed world, a programmable computer is a luxury item for a lot of people, and every extra dollar that we ask someone to spend decreases the chance that they’ll choose to get involved.

More at the link.

It's pretty hard to drop the price much lower than that. I'm thinking of getting a couple just to see what they're like.

However, they're out of stock:

http://www.adafruit.com/products/2885

:(
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Raspberry Pi Zero -- $5.00
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2015, 12:20 PM »
They forgot to install the network connector!!! :o IMHO it's not very useful without that :'(

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2015, 12:44 PM »
They forgot to install the network connector!!! :o IMHO it's not very useful without that :'(

It has the USB power adapter and another USB port, so maybe you could use that -- it probably connects more than just the 5V connection from USB -- I haven't looked into it though. I'm expecting that the one is full, and the power port "may" have more than just power.

The full USB port should let you connect to a hub/router.

You can also use the GPIO, though that kind of stuff is much more difficult.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2015, 02:45 PM »
I just saw this... How awesome is it on scale of 1 to BLOODY EPIC~! ;D

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2015, 03:00 PM »
The problem with ARM computers is that they, although rather power-saving, are not viable network devices. Their CPUs are too slow for serious file transfers.

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2015, 04:07 PM »
The problem with ARM computers is that they, although rather power-saving, are not viable network devices. Their CPUs are too slow for serious file transfers.
Well, to not have a network connection is far more restrictive than to have a slow network connection. In that case I can at least use it for *something* (inter)network based instead of only locally connected (GPIO, USB) hardware. And a USB-Ethernet 'converter' requires a USB-hub if a keyboard/mouse should also be connected :(
I haven't found any docs on the 6 parallel soldering lines on the back of the pcb yet, but I'm hoping that they pull a rabbit out of a hat, and it's an ethernet connector that should just be soldered on there...

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2015, 04:23 PM »

I'm not so sure about that.

I don't think that the Pi Zero is something that you want to hook up a keyboard to. Instead, these kinds of computers are better suited to specific purposes. You might want to have it control some sensors in your home.

I saw a couple projects for an Arduino, which has far less power than a Pi Zero, where it was controlling sensors and lighting in a bathroom. When someone walked in at night, it would detect movement, then slowly fade in the lights. How many times have you woken up at night, stumbled into the bathroom, and then been blinded when you turned on the lights FULL BLAST? A few people have solved that with tiny computers, like the Pi Zero.

Sure, it's not a massive application, but it's still useful.

But there's no reason why you couldn't hook up a Wi-Fi module to the Pi Zero and have it communicate those tiny bits of data you want for running things like home automation. You don't need a huge amount of data transfer for it.

So while it's certainly not fit for some applications, it's still more than enough to run some.

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2015, 11:26 PM »
Anyone getting an RPi Zero may also be interested in this little doohickey:

http://www.everbuying.net/product1101392.html

Currently $0.80 USD with free shipping.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2015, 12:07 AM »
Anyone getting an RPi Zero may also be interested in this little doohickey:

http://www.everbuying.net/product1101392.html

Currently $0.80 USD with free shipping.

That's pretty sexy!

I found some with cords for more flexibility, but they're certainly not as sexy. Mind you, you can get them for $0.61 each. If saving that $0.19 is more important than sexiness. :P ;D

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2015, 01:37 AM »
I found some with cords for more flexibility, but they're certainly not as sexy. Mind you, you can get them for $0.61 each. If saving that $0.19 is more important than sexiness. :P ;D

The cords probably make them a little less likely to break, too! :Thmbsup:

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2015, 06:05 PM »
The little converter looks quite nifty!  Though I wonder whether it or where it plugs into (either end) might suffer an ill fate before long...

I'd been using something that's got a cord, and it's been acting flaking recently (may be related to the cord?).  For a while it worked better if it and the phone were lying on a surface, but lately that's hasn't been working that well either.

I'm currently using one of those "OTG hub" things (it's got a few ports for things like SD, microSD, and some ordinary USB ports).  Not as compact as either of the other alternatives, but it's been ok so far.  Of course, it's got a cord too...

Don't know if it's possible, but it would sure be nice if one could charge the phone and use the peripherals at the same time using a "OTG hub" -- seems some of them have a switch that allow you to choose one or the other...

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2015, 12:32 AM »
More on it:

A $5 computer.

Think back to when you were a kid.

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2015, 07:27 AM »
but I'm hoping that they pull a rabbit out of a hat, and it's an ethernet connector that should just be soldered on there...
Did some more investigation, but the chances some kind of ethernet connection is available is really slim/0. It doesn't even have USB-hub capability, so adding more than 1 USB apparatus requires adding an external USB hub, where a USB-Ethernet or -WiFi adapter can then also be connected. Well, that makes it, as expected, quite less useful except for really non-network projects. And the best local price I saw for a bare unit is €8,95, that's not really close to $5,- IMHO :huh:, and when adding converter-cables and a power supply it passes €25,-
Yep, I'm not very enthusiastic about this 'Zero' thingy :-\ maybe it's the name that says it all...

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2015, 09:31 AM »
but I'm hoping that they pull a rabbit out of a hat, and it's an ethernet connector that should just be soldered on there...
Did some more investigation, but the chances some kind of ethernet connection is available is really slim/0. It doesn't even have USB-hub capability, so adding more than 1 USB apparatus requires adding an external USB hub, where a USB-Ethernet or -WiFi adapter can then also be connected. Well, that makes it, as expected, quite less useful except for really non-network projects. And the best local price I saw for a bare unit is €8,95, that's not really close to $5,- IMHO :huh:, and when adding converter-cables and a power supply it passes €25,-
Yep, I'm not very enthusiastic about this 'Zero' thingy :-\ maybe it's the name that says it all...

I've not tried any of these, but here are a few possibilities:

http://www.instructa...rry-Pi-Zer/?ALLSTEPS

How to give an internet access to Raspberry Pi Zero

Hello, we want to give an internet access to our unique Raspberry Pi family's new guest as called Pi Zero!

As you can see that there are no ethernet socket, USB ports, and embedded Wi-Fi antenna on our board Pi Zero, we need to give it a chance to surf on the internet. So, you've got a problem and I have got some solutions for this issue.

First of all, the solution is not the only one. I would like to show you some diagrams to solve your problem.

More at the link. 4 solutions.