topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:23 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Screenshot on High Definition Monitor  (Read 3244 times)

nkormanik

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Screenshot on High Definition Monitor
« on: February 03, 2021, 01:30 AM »
I tried Screenshot Captor on a UHD monitor (3840x2160) and noticed all the screenshots appeared blurry, not like the original screen looked.  (Desktop, for instance.  Simply taking a screenshot of the Desktop.)

On a 1920x1080 screen, the Screenshot Captor screenshot was seemingly exactly as clear as the original screen appeared.

What gives?  Is there a setting that I can adjust?

Thanks much!

Nicholas Kormanik

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Screenshot on High Definition Monitor
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2021, 04:01 AM »
The actual screenshot taken should be an exact copy, but when SC renders the image in its window and has to SCALE it down, it can appear blurry.
So first thing to do is confirm this, by switching to 100% view inside SC window (which will make the capture larger than the window but should confirm that it looks fine).
Then you can go change the scaling algorithm in SC:
Screenshot - 2_3_2021 , 4_01_03 AM.png

Let me know which smoothing option looks least blurry.. Maybe I can make that the default.

nkormanik

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2021, 05:47 AM »
Thanks Mouser.  I use another image viewing program to subsequently view the saved screenshots.  Perhaps the problem lies there.

Any suggestions about what the presently recommended image viewer is out there?

By the way, Windows 10 is set at 150% scaling on the UHD monitor, if that affects anything.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2021, 05:43 PM »
Thanks Mouser.  I use another image viewing program to subsequently view the saved screenshots.  Perhaps the problem lies there.
did you rule out SC as a problem? I mean do images show correctly in SC when shown @ 100% ?
Tom

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2021, 05:48 PM »
By the way, Windows 10 is set at 150% scaling on the UHD monitor, if that affects anything.
I have 125% scaling in my laptop and I notice that screenshots in the browser, e.g. in the forum here always look blurry (no zoom in browser window) - I dont know whether this is just a coincidence or whether these two things are actually related... On my desktop which uses 100%, the same screenshots look perfectly sharp in the same browser.
Tom

nkormanik

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2021, 09:14 PM »
Thanks, Tom, for the reminder.  Just checked, and saved images in SC look fine.  Apparently the issue is with the viewer -- an old version of ACDSee.  Probably need to find a better image viewer.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2021, 02:52 AM »
Note that screenshots just don't look good resized. They're too "sharp-edged" which makes resizing very unforgiving. For screenshots, I use SC or my default viewer which is the one that comes with Dopus.
Tom