topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:06 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Questions about sorting and formatting  (Read 5551 times)

IndyJpr

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Questions about sorting and formatting
« on: October 21, 2015, 11:23 PM »
Hello all,

1) Sorting - how does it work.  I've added the 'Ordering' column to my group, checked that the 'Custom Menu Sorting SQL' is set (to the default) but sorting does not work for me.  I'm not sure how they are sorted but they don't follow the ordering number I manually entered.   Am I missing something?

2) Formatting - I want all formatting stripped from every new clip.  How can I do this?  Edit:  I should add that I'm pasting from the Quick Paste menu.

Thanks,
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 11:30 PM by IndyJpr, Reason: more details »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Questions about sorting and formatting
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2015, 05:24 AM »
2) Formatting - I want all formatting stripped from every new clip.  How can I do this?  Edit:  I should add that I'm pasting from the Quick Paste menu.

Re #2 --
you can modify hotkey for paste as plain text:

Screenshot - 2015-10-22 , 12_21_48.pngQuestions about sorting and formatting

Tom

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2015, 09:47 AM »
Formatting will be stripped from all items in the quick paste menu -- it's only the most recent clip that keeps its formatting because windows manages that if you use Ctrl+V to paste it.  You can use hotkey as Tomos said to paste last clip as plaintext.

1) Sorting - how does it work.  I've added the 'Ordering' column to my group, checked that the 'Custom Menu Sorting SQL' is set (to the default) but sorting does not work for me.

can you elaborate? it sounds like you are doing it right?

you show the ordering column, and then you fill in manually values of clips for that column to change the sorting order.

rkr3

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2015, 05:56 AM »
Formatting will be stripped from all items in the quick paste menu -- it's only the most recent clip that keeps its formatting because windows manages that if you use Ctrl+V to paste it.  You can use hotkey as Tomos said to paste last clip as plaintext.

I want the opposite -- i.e., to keep the formatting of previous clips.

For instance, if I copy a number of tables as separate clips, I want to be able to paste them later (once I've finished making the clips) individually from the Quick Paste menu. How do I do this?

Thanks

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2015, 07:18 AM »
I want the opposite -- i.e., to keep the formatting of previous clips.
For instance, if I copy a number of tables as separate clips, I want to be able to paste them later (once I've finished making the clips) individually from the Quick Paste menu. How do I do this?
Thanks

Hmm...tricky.

rkr3

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2015, 08:18 AM »
If not CHS, are there any other clipboard extenders which can do this?

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2015, 10:59 AM »
I am not aware of any Clipboard information managers that currently might be able to do what you require, though NoteFrog had rather looked as though it might be heading in that direction, eventually.
I use CHS all the time, and I find it to be an amazingly useful tool. I would be very interested in the possibility that it might be made to do what you are requiring, as I have long had the same/similar requirement.
However, the way I currently meet my needs in this regard is by using MS OneNote (part of MS Office) as the intermediate storage medium of material that I wish to keep the formatting of. It has become my primary PIM (Personal Information Manager).

You could also consider Zotero and Wezinc (both $Free) for these purposes. Wezinc integrates with (hooks onto) the Clipboard such that if you copy anything to the Clipboard, Wezinc asks you if you want to also save it into the Wezinc database. I'm still trialing Zotero and Wezinc - mainly as alternatives to the excellent Firefox extension ScrapBook, so am unable to give a conclusive view as to whether either could be useful for your purposes.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 11:04 AM by IainB »

rkr3

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2015, 04:28 AM »
I was using Ditto earlier, before I switched to CHS. I tried Ditto again, and find it does exactly what I want. Much simpler than going through OneNote. You might want to see if it works for you. Be warned, though -- the interface isn't as clean as in CHS, but nothing that one can't live with.

Scrapbook -- I've been using it for years, and is probably one of the best extensions for Firefox; but that's a completely different application than the one I was looking for. Nevertheless, now that I don't use Firefox that much, I wonder if there's anything similar for Chrome.

dcwul62

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2016, 07:52 AM »
@rkr3

You mean this?

=
SnagIt-02082016 144549.pngQuestions about sorting and formatting