topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:11 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Thumbnails not showing  (Read 5830 times)

dszklarz

• Participant
  • Joined in 2015
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thumbnails not showing
« on: October 15, 2015, 02:43 PM »
Hello, I've encountered a problem which is, I can't see the thumbnails on the thumbnail panel. As shown in the attachment, the images are in the right folder, but are just not showing.
Screenshot (1).pngThumbnails not showing
And I've also just noticed, that files named "Screenshot (1,2,etc.)" apparently have no problem with showing.
Screenshot (3).pngThumbnails not showing
All of the screenshots are PNGs.
Thanks in advance for the reply.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Thumbnails not showing
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 02:53 PM »
That's an interesting clue..

I have a couple of questions:

First, is it the filename Screenshot (1,2) that makes it show, or just that it is a NEWLY found file in that directory?  That is, if you copy other image files into your screenshot folder, do you suddenly see them?
Second, any change if you restart SC?
Third, did you happen to use recently the new feature in SC, under View ->Toggle standalone screenshot window (i once saw this kind of behavior from doing that)?

dszklarz

• Participant
  • Joined in 2015
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 03:09 PM »
1. From what I'm seeing it's files with dots in their name that don't appear, for example "Screenshot 15.4" or "Screen.shot 154" doesn't get detected, while "Screenshot 154" does.
2. Nope, restarting doesn't work. Even tried reinstalling, before posting, but it still didn't help(maybe re-install with deleting the settings?)
3. No, haven't used that feature at all.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2015, 03:15 PM »
it's files with dots in their name that don't appear, for example "Screenshot 15.4" or "Screen.shot 154" doesn't get detected, while "Screenshot 154" does.

bingo.

you figured it out.. as you've discovered, sc does not like screenshot files to have dots in their names.  in fact i thought SC actually prevented files from having that name replacing periods with underscores..

regardless, ill try to get this fixed asap -- hopefully this weekend, so that sc does not make this mistake.

dszklarz

• Participant
  • Joined in 2015
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2015, 03:28 PM »
Glad to be of help.
And about replacing with underscores, I'm guessing You mean the "illegal filename character replacement", it IS set to replace with underscores, so I don't understand what would that be.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2015, 04:15 PM »
It's probably that your SC is using a date format with periods in the automatic naming template, and that my code to fix up filenames happens BEFORE the date is inserted.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2015, 01:20 PM »
Ok so I went and tried to reproduce this, but failed to.
My latest changes (which should already be in the version you have) should have made SC work fine with files with periods (.) in their filenames.

Can you try the latest beta (v4.14) and let me know if the problem remains?
Beta 4.14 here: https://www.donation...dex.php?topic=3474.0

If the problem does remain, can you shed any more light on the nature of the issue -- because contrary to my original comments, SC is doing fine with files with periods in the name here.

dszklarz

• Participant
  • Joined in 2015
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2015, 11:14 AM »
The beta version did not help, and I have no idea what might be the issue with this.

I had this before I posted here, and I even made a format of my computer inbetween when it happened, and the post, but it persisted.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2015, 06:57 AM »
Can you try the latest beta i just uploaded? (4.15.2)

dszklarz

• Participant
  • Joined in 2015
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2015, 08:46 AM »
It's working now! Thanks for helping out with that. Out of curiosity, what was the problem for it to not detect the files with dots for me?
Also, sorry for such a slow reply the last time I completely forgot to check the thread, the message this time definitely helped.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2015, 09:49 AM »
Out of curiosity, what was the problem for it to not detect the files with dots for me

The basic problem was this:  to gain some flexibility, at some point in SC's recent history, my code took over from another library the task of filtering which files were displayed, and in that code, i was checking file extensions, but it turns out i was checking file extensions against the file "caption" (instead of the full path) as computed by windows explorer registry settings which on some (many) people's computers is configured to not include the file extensions for common file types.  Because by default SC was showing files with no extension, this only showed up as a real bug when files had dots in their names, confusing my code as to their true extension.  Once i determined the cause of the program (with help from dc member lanux128), the solution was simple and just involved checking the true filename instead of the reported caption.