topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:06 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Win 10 Can't Tell One Processor From Another!  (Read 6741 times)

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Win 10 Can't Tell One Processor From Another!
« on: October 10, 2015, 02:26 AM »
I've been having trouble installing latest update:

Cumulative Update for Windows 10 (KB3093266) - Error 0x8e5e03fa

Then I realised that My system info is incorrect!  It's listed as 32bit X64 based Processor....  tellme:

I have a 32bit X86 Processor so had to manually download the correct update and it worked!

Anyone else have this problem?

CC  :D

eleman

• Spam Killer
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Win 10 Can't Tell One Processor From Another!
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2015, 04:06 AM »
I have a 32bit X86 Processor...

You mean you have a win10 box with a pentium 4 or an atom?

I guess you really are a patient fella.

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2015, 04:10 AM »
Yep Intel Pentium 4 - Dual Core. Can't afford to upgrade yet on my Pension....

It's fast enough!

I'm not patient lol or a 'fella'  ;D

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2015, 08:57 AM »
As far as I know the Pentium 4 processor only comes as single core. I still use one of those 3GHz Hyper Threading models in a backup server (using Ubuntu 14.04 LTS Server edition) and it generates backup archives from data and files it collects at regular intervals throughout my network of Linux and Windows PC's. I wouldn't use it with any of the modern versions of Windows anymore, though. However, it is adequate in my setup, because I only access the machine sporadically through its web-interface.

Now I still have 2x Core2 processors as well. And these are in desktops that had their RAM maxed out years ago. As a result these machines work well with Windows 7, Windows 8.0/8.1 and even Windows 2012 Server. Much better than you would expect anyway. Not much patience needed with any of those processors or Windows versions. For more giggles I even installed Windows 10 (one of the earliest builds) in a VM and ran that on one of those Dual Core machines. To my surprise that went better than I expected as well, so I think it is rather safe to assume that Windows 10 installed on this particular bare metal wouldn't be a problem either. 

Now I must add that all of these experiences come from desktop PC's with the Intel Core2 Duo E8200 processor (2676 MHz a.k.a. Wolfdale), which was a very good model in it's day. And I know that performance between Core2 Duo processors varied quite a lot depending on the model in desktops, but even more so for models in laptops.

So I hope for CleverCat that she is not cursed with one of those...

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2015, 07:43 PM »
As far as I know the Pentium 4 processor only comes as single core.

Now I must add that all of these experiences come from desktop PC's with the Intel Core2 Duo E8200 processor (2676 MHz a.k.a. Wolfdale), which was a very good model in it's day. And I know that performance between Core2 Duo processors varied quite a lot depending on the model in desktops, but even more so for models in laptops.

So I hope for CleverCat that she is not cursed with one of those...

It's a ECS G31T-M7 socket 775 motherboard, so it's using a Pentium E21xx Dual Core.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2015, 11:45 PM »
Seems that the term 'Pentium 4' was the cause for my confusion. Granted, it doesn't take much to do that. :P

ECS is not a brand with which I have good experiences with. Also no bad experiences, only meh ones. But I also must disclose then that my love for Asus motherboards runs very, very deep.

The list of supported CPU's for that particular motherboard is quite extensive and varies a bit depending if it is version 1 or version 7.

Never mind the exact model of Pentium Dual Core processor is actually in the PC of CleverCat, you do need a bit more patience with those processors than with the Core2 processors. But as long as you restrain from AAA-title gaming and video-editing Windows 10 will do quite fine, especially when the motherboard has the max amount of RAM (4GByte). Here in Paraguay, DDR2 RAM modules are really expensive. Assuming this is the same case in South Africa, it is not a financially smart move to max out the RAM on her motherboard if her computer has less RAM than 4GByte.

There is a noticeable difference in PC performance when one maxes out RAM. That and the addition of a SSD hard disk will give any PC a big boost in speed. But both are investments one should make only if there is the impression that the system will still be usable for 3 years or more. I did exactly this with one of my core2 PC's, cloned the Windows partition and Programs partition to a 120GByte SSD (I keep things very separated on my hard disks) and it runs great. From plugging the power cable into the socket to a fully workable Windows desktop takes 20 seconds on average (and this includes typing in my password).

The latest AAA-titles won't work well on this PC, but older ones became more enjoyable. And for practically all other common activities the PC became good to great again. For me the investment of 150 USD (90 USD for a Samsung EVO 840 SSD, the remainder for 4GByte of DDR2 RAM) was well worth it. I am sure it will be the same for CleverCat. After all, it remains cheaper than buying a whole new PC and should be a consideration for anyone wanting more speed and enjoyment out of their system, while having only a small budget available.

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2015, 02:02 AM »
Here's the 'full monty' on my CPU:

Intel Pentium E5200
   Cores   2
   Threads   2
   Name   Intel Pentium E5200
   Code Name   Wolfdale
   Package   Socket 775 LGA
   Technology   45nm
   Specification   Pentium Dual-Core CPU E5200 @ 2.50GHz
   Family   6
   Extended Family   6
   Model   7
   Extended Model   17
   Stepping   6
   Revision   M0
   Instructions   MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, Intel 64, NX
   Virtualization   Not supported
   Hyperthreading   Not supported
   Fan Speed   2227 RPM
   Bus Speed   199.5 MHz
   Rated Bus Speed   798.0 MHz
   Stock Core Speed   2500 MHz
   Stock Bus Speed   200 MHz
   Average Temperature   56 °C
      Caches
         L1 Data Cache Size   2 x 32 KBytes
         L1 Instructions Cache Size   2 x 32 KBytes
         L2 Unified Cache Size   2048 KBytes

Don't know why Microsoft misread it!

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2015, 02:10 AM »
Love to upgrade but the $ to Rand exchange rate is brutal at R13.35 to the $

Check my nearest PC shop: Computer House

Would I need to change MOBO too?

CC

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2015, 04:58 AM »
Would I need to change MOBO too?

You'd need a new CPU, motherboard, and RAM if you went for a complete upgrade.

How much RAM is currently installed?

If it's only 2GB then you could try asking the store if they have 4GB (2x2GB) of used DDR2-800 from an old computer for a reasonable price, (or even free if you ask nicely :) ).  It should give a little more headroom when running applications.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2015, 07:16 AM »
Intel Pentium E5200
That's a 64bit CPU.
- carpe noctem