topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 1:54 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Pale Moon and Firefox - The Honeymoon Period is Over  (Read 20178 times)

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Pale Moon and Firefox - The Honeymoon Period is Over
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2015, 05:59 PM »
I wasn't talking about deleting anything. I was talking about the fact that if you installed it, and it immediately had this list, it just culled it from your OS.  It didn't cultivate this list itself.  It was just revealing what was there.

I could be wrong, but I think the point Tao was trying to make is not where this list came from or why the list was there, but why would a browser have access to the last 15 days activity on his PC? For what purpose did the developer program this 'feature'?

I, for one, do not see why a browser would need to keep track of any of my activities other than browsing & download history. If a web browser is keeping track of what videos I watch, what Word documents I open, and what files I copy to what directories then that browser needs to be uninstalled. I have never used SlimJet and if this is not the kind of activity Tao means then please ignore my ramblings.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2015, 10:00 PM »
I wasn't talking about deleting anything. I was talking about the fact that if you installed it, and it immediately had this list, it just culled it from your OS.  It didn't cultivate this list itself.  It was just revealing what was there.

I could be wrong, but I think the point Tao was trying to make is not where this list came from or why the list was there, but why would a browser have access to the last 15 days activity on his PC? For what purpose did the developer program this 'feature'?

I, for one, do not see why a browser would need to keep track of any of my activities other than browsing & download history. If a web browser is keeping track of what videos I watch, what Word documents I open, and what files I copy to what directories then that browser needs to be uninstalled. I have never used SlimJet and if this is not the kind of activity Tao means then please ignore my ramblings.

My point was that he'd just installed it.  Which means it's not keeping track... something else is.  Not that one might not wonder why they are harvesting this information, but there is something on his OS already that is collecting it, which is the larger question and offender, in my opinion.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2015, 11:09 PM »
Just downloaded and ran the portable version of SlimJet, the only history it picked up is the normal Windows local file access history and a website used by GeoSetter, (which uses IE engine to display Google Maps).

All my other browsers are either in private mode (IE, Dragon), portable (Dragon, IceDragon, SeaMonkey, K-Meleon, Chromodo, Firefox), or have no persistent cache/history (Pale Moon) and it picked up nothing from any of those.

So my guess is it just reads the history of whatever Windows or another (installed, non-private) browser has already done.

Only difference between it and other browsers is the others ask if you want to import history, (and they do import the same things: file history, website history), at first start.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2015, 11:27 PM »
Can you say more about this means?

Tao, you can read a Mozilla blog entry here that talks about WebExtensions, Electrolysis, and the road ahead. They have huge aspirations and say it will make for a better browser. Time will either prove them right or wrong. Not everyone at this point shares their opinion.

This is my vote for a "Time Capsule".

(Quoting you) "Time will either prove them right or wrong". I'd like that if nothing else than DC boards, to have the "Pre" situation documented out a bit. So then whichever ways it goes, we have "what we think now" and whatever horrific mess it turns into, then we get the "After".

Whichever way all this goes, to me it's becoming the old African phrase, "when Elephants fight, the grass suffers."

So I don't trust Mozilla. I happen to use PaleMoon because they seem to be really trying hard to reign in the junk to make a legit browser. I trust the *spirit* of PaleMoon. It's just now whether they can keep up if Mozilla is about to upend everything.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2015, 11:31 PM »

BINGO.

I know web history is a "thing". But since when do "web browsers" get to identify the last fifteen days of your local Hard Drive history?! So yes, you nailed it, hence why I nuked it. There's no sane reason "it should have known" ... except the Alice in Wonderland reason that people "like it because it's convenient" but I have thought for years on the flip side of what they can't shut down under "terrorism", they activate under "convenience".

See that Free-Game article elsewhere.

Put bluntly, "Oh Hai Brand New Browser. How did you know I was downloading medical files last week? And it's a nice crispy list now. So where are you sending that list that you gloriously refuse to tell me?"
"Ssssh. It's Convenient!"

:o   >:(

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2015, 10:37 AM »
Put bluntly, "Oh Hai Brand New Browser. How did you know I was downloading medical files last week? And it's a nice crispy list now. So where are you sending that list that you gloriously refuse to tell me?"
"Ssssh. It's Convenient!"

So my guess is it just reads the history of whatever Windows or another (installed, non-private) browser has already done.

Blame your other browser, it seems.  Because the one that you already have there is 'spying' on you too.  It just wasn't up front about it.  :huh: