topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:42 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Windows 10: Migration-woes thread  (Read 8802 times)

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Windows 10: Migration-woes thread
« on: August 08, 2015, 06:04 AM »
Hi,

Besides all the praise and glory on Windows 10 migration(s) it might be right helpful to also list any failed or miserable migrations from a previous version.

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Windows 10: Migration-woes thread
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2015, 06:08 AM »
Upgrading Windows 7 x64 SP1 to Windows 10 on a system equipped with Intel Rapid Storage Technology (RST) failed with data-loss!

I've tried to upgrade my Lenovo Y580 with a 1 TB HDD and a 64 GB SSD (the SSD is hidden by the RST technology as a high-speed MRU-buffer for the HDD).
All seemed to go fine, until the upgrade process executed a reboot, and it couldn't find the boot-partition it had just upgraded.

All attempts to repair the partitions, reverting the installation or even using a Windows 7 SP1 boot-USB for recovery, didn't result in the partitions to be restored (at all) and rendered the laptop 'useless'.

Solution I applied was: Buy a Samsung 500 GB SSD (850 EVO), remove the 64 GB SSD (in an M.2 slot next to the SATA-connected HDD/SSD), re-installed Windows 7 x64 SP1 with all Lenovo drivers (they are on a separate, unharmed, partition of the HDD), and then upgrade to Windows 10.
Now I'm re-installing most generic applications I had previously installed, like browser, pdf-viewer etc.

Yes I'm working on recovering files from the damaged partition, but there where no really important files on it, all important stuff was backed up in the cloud, on USB sticks or on other PC's. It's a pity I don't have my browser history anymore, but that'll rebuild in the coming weeks/months ;)

So, long story short: When upgrading a similar RST equipped PC, make images of your entire harddrive before attempting the in-place upgrade!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 06:20 AM by Ath »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2015, 07:11 AM »
let me suggest that this advice:
So, long story short: When upgrading a similar RST equipped PC, make images of your entire harddrive before attempting the in-place upgrade!

be turned into:
When upgrading a pc, make images of your entire hard drive first.

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2015, 08:03 AM »
Upgrade (8.1).
Boot.
Frozen logon screen.
Reboot.
Frozen logon screen.

Oh, Microsoft.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2015, 08:54 AM »
Well, I didn't have a failed migration, but I had an 'interesting' one. I detailed everything in a dedicated thread. I tried to be as detailed as possible with the problems I encountered & listed solutions just in case someone else runs into the problems I did.

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2015, 02:32 PM »
let me suggest that this advice:

be turned into:
When upgrading a pc, make images of your entire hard drive first.

I second this! Always make a backup. :D

- Oshyan

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2015, 03:21 PM »
Repaired Windows 10 by disabling the WiFi during the boot process ...  :huh:

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2015, 04:24 AM »
Well, I didn't have a failed migration, but I had an 'interesting' one. I detailed everything in a dedicated thread. I tried to be as detailed as possible with the problems I encountered & listed solutions just in case someone else runs into the problems I did.
Well, I saw your post but I interpreted it like the title, a clean install and your adventures with that. On closer investigation it in fact a 'minor fail' upgrade. Interesting, like you said.

x16wda

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • what am I doing in this handbasket?
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2015, 01:03 PM »
I'm holding off a bit before hitting my main desktop PC since it's my workhorse (middle of the road though it is), but I went through the process with my laptop (which is actually newer and nicer) since it also has everything on it that I use and I can give it a good test. I had to start the process several times, ended up uninstalling antivirus (and some cruft that I should have cleaned out ages ago anyway), but what really seemed to help was switch from the 32 + 64 bit dvd over to the 64-bit only dvd.

Only real pain in the neck so far is that the Cisco IPSEC client is broken (of course) and the mitigations don't seem to work, in fact Win flat out refuses to let the program install. Rather than beat on that horse I switch to Shrewsoft which has worked fine.

Oh, and Photoshop CS3 says it isn't registered again (and how I hate trying to get stupid Adobe to do anything). Should have unregistered it before I started. <grumble grumble>

All in all not too bad, if nothing else comes up I will be set to upgrade my wife's pc...  :P
vi vi vi - editor of the beast

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2015, 05:24 PM »
x16wda, having to deal with both Adobe *and* Cisco during an OS upgrade? You win! :D

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2015, 05:31 PM »
Memo to myself: Don't even try to use Glass8 with Win10.  :-\

Now why is the WiFi so fucking slow?