topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:23 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: I need help coming up with a plan to fix my NTFS security permissions problems  (Read 19850 times)

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I've got 30 virtual systems running on 2 physical Hyper-V servers here at the office. The two physical host machines run in a secondary (forest and) domain that is completely invisible to the production systems, and the whole shebang has been rock stable for the ~2 years we've had it in operation.

I replicated the configuration for a local school last year (which I also manage for them), and they too have been quite happy with it.

So list me under Hugh fan of Hyper-V!

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I've got 30 virtual systems running on 2 physical Hyper-V servers here at the office. The two physical host machines run in a secondary (forest and) domain that is completely invisible to the production systems, and the whole shebang has been rock stable for the ~2 years we've had it in operation.

I replicated the configuration for a local school last year (which I also manage for them), and they too have been quite happy with it.

So list me under Hugh fan of Hyper-V!
I would like to do this.  how should I think about this?  here's what I'm thinking...
my main purpose for the server is to be a central storage server
I'll also use AD and domain services for managing all the home devices
I won't do too much more than that on the server itself, maybe run a couple of shared applications, but most of the software will be on local machines.

So, using hyper-v, how is this supposed to be organized?  I basically will have one tower for the physical server.  The only additional boxes would be for more storage.

from reading 40's post above, i want to know what gets installed on the bare metal, and what can be run from a hyper-v VM...
Does AD and the main server go on the bare metal?
And then do I run the applications on a VM?
is there a rule of thumb about what gets on a VM and what doesn't?  From what I've read so far, it sounds like AD should be on the main host OS, and nothing else.  In my case, I'll also install the software raid on the main host OS, but I actually don't think I have to with the way it works.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Note: if it's just you - and only you - who will ever be accessing the server, you can also simply grant Full Control permission for the Everyone group across the board and be done with it.

O_O ... Ggaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!

I knew that'd getcha! ;D ;D ;D

Oh!...Hey!...You ok? Here...just sit a moment and take some deep breaths!

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
@SB:

They're a little "gabby" but still pretty good. :Thmbsup:

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Note: if it's just you - and only you - who will ever be accessing the server, you can also simply grant Full Control permission for the Everyone group across the board and be done with it.

O_O ... Ggaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!

I knew that'd getcha! ;D ;D ;D

Oh!...Hey!...You ok? Here...just sit a moment and take some deep breaths!

the funny thing is...after my initial experience, i may have become so paranoid to avoid it again, i just may do this!!  hey, it's just me, so all the users are just different versions of me!

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
@SB:

They're a little "gabby" but still pretty good. :Thmbsup:
thanks!  I already watched the hyper-v one earlier today.  You are the one to introduce me to eli, i love that guy.  He is one of the best computer explainers I've ever seen, he is really fantastic.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
While Eli explains things clearly, he over-uses repetition in my opinion. These introduction video's could be 75% shorter if he didn't use repetition so much. Not sure if this is only the case in his introduction videos.

Although he should be commended for the amount of helpful videos he's made, the repetition thing kinda ruins it for me.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
While Eli explains things clearly, he over-uses repetition in my opinion. These introduction video's could be 75% shorter if he didn't use repetition so much. Not sure if this is only the case in his introduction videos.

Although he should be commended for the amount of helpful videos he's made, the repetition thing kinda ruins it for me.

He does get a little gabby - as I warned. And he most certainly could reduce his runtime if he weren't so obviously winging it. But so it goes. (Far be it from me to ever criticize someone else for being overly wordy. I could never be that much of a hypocrite. :-[ )

His info is accurate however. And the price is certainly right. So I continue to watch his stuff even though I'll admit I'm usually also doing something else while I am for exactly that reason.  ;)