topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:17 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Path to ScreenshotCaptor settings can't be modified  (Read 3974 times)

AMR

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Path to ScreenshotCaptor settings can't be modified
« on: June 23, 2015, 03:29 AM »
Hi,

since several days, my ScreenshotCaptor installation started to always put an additional "DonnationCoder"-folder onto my computer's desktop, which has a ScreenshotCaptor-folder and different subfolders in it (MyClipart, MyFrames, ObjectPresets, Screenshots, Temp).
These subfolders are also present in the ScreenshotCaptor program's installation path, where they are named a bit differently (Clipart, Frames, ObjectPresets, Screenshots, Sounds, Tools).

The ScreenshotCaptor.ini file is now always created in the ScreenshotCaptor-folder on my computer's desktop, instead of the program's installation folder.
I don't know, why I now have to accept an additional folder on my desktop  :( and I tried to get rid of it by searching through the program's settings. Anyway, the only thing that I was able to find was the ConfigDir.ini-file.

But all the modifications in this file that I tried until now didn't change anything on my system.
I tried to set the path to
CONFIGDIR = .
CONFIGDIR = %MYDOCUMENTS%
CONFIGDIR = C:\
(and, yes, I left away the "\\" characters in front of the respective line  ;) )

... no success and no change! Modified settings of the program will always be written to the ini file that is located within the ScreenshotCaptor subfolder on my computer's desktop.

What is going wrong here?
Is there another way to get rid of the desktop folder and have ScreenshotCaptor write its settings into the installation folder again?

Thanks for helping!

btw: my system is a Windows 7 Enterprise laptop; I already reinstalled ScreenshotCaptor two times from scratch; ScreenshotCaptor version is 4.12.0

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Path to ScreenshotCaptor settings can't be modified
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 04:58 AM »
The ScreenshotCaptor.ini file is now always created in the ScreenshotCaptor-folder on my computer's desktop, instead of the program's installation folder.

you dont say if this the portable or the installed version of SC (?)

The ini file should be created in MyDocuments for the installed version.
The portable version creates it in own folder.

I'm not the expert here but wondering is this something to do with permissions -
Could it be that you have the portable SC in the windows program folder?
Tom

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 11:03 AM »
It does sound like you may have installed the portable version on your deskop -- or for some other reason it's having trouble saving files where it wants to.
The easiest solution might be to install the normal version of Screenshot Captor -- you can even tell it at the time of installation to erase any previous settings to start from scratch.
You can also just delete the ConfigDir.ini file in the Program Files x86\Screenshot Captor directory to use default.

To summarize, if you install Screenshot Captor and do not mess with the ConfigDir.ini file, it will store all settings and those subdirectories under your Documents directory.

You can also email if you still get stuck ([email protected])

AMR

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2015, 08:52 AM »
It does sound like you may have installed the portable version on your deskop -- or for some other reason it's having trouble saving files where it wants to.

No, I was talking about the standard version of SC, not the portable version. And I installed it with standard settings and path.

The easiest solution might be to install the normal version of Screenshot Captor -- you can even tell it at the time of installation to erase any previous settings to start from scratch.

Yes, that's what I did twice  :(

You can also just delete the ConfigDir.ini file in the Program Files x86\Screenshot Captor directory to use default.

I also tried this "trick", but without success - it still creates the Donnation Coder folder on my desktop.

To summarize, if you install Screenshot Captor and do not mess with the ConfigDir.ini file, it will store all settings and those subdirectories under your Documents directory.

Unfortunately not... any other ideas? Is there possibly some registry settings that might have been messed up by any of the installations?  :-\

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2015, 10:37 AM »
^ anything out of the ordinary with your MyDocuments folder?
Tom

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2015, 05:07 PM »
What is your Screenshot path?  Can you change that to someplace in your documents?
(choose the first item in the GoTo menu to change it).