topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:09 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Microsoft Surface Pro 3 8GB I7 256GB SSD  (Read 4466 times)

questorfla

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • Fighting Slime all the Time
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Microsoft Surface Pro 3 8GB I7 256GB SSD
« on: May 20, 2015, 12:39 PM »
Has anyone used one of these for any length of time?  I am looking for honest opinions and not marketing glib. 

Already had to get them like it or not but wondered if I should expect any issues with overheating due to size and such.  I was kind of surprised to see that they come with tiny cooling fans (of some kind) in a true tablet form factor.  Don't know why MS didn't bother to make the keyboard (Type-cover) out of a Lithium Polymer so it could serve as an additional battery source.
As a side question, I need  to locate two fire-engine red "sleeves".  I searched Amazon and found quite a few but can't "road test" them all.  In this case, the users want light-weight more than "protection" from damage as the are "upper management" and live out of airports (more or less) spending more time in the air than on the ground.

The red color to match the Type-cover is probably just as important, it has to be a close match.  And needs to be more of a velvet pouch from what I can get out of the people they were purchased for.  Sad   :'(  This is the where the world of tech has gone..   Fashion sense matters most now  8)  :tellme:

Opinions of what to expect would be appreciated as I will be the one who has to keep them running with remote support if they choke-up 1000 miles from home.   I just hope someone here has had one for a while.

Mfr websites to this day still post intelligent things like "In case of system lock-up to first remove the battery ..." :huh:!!  I have seen this advice posted on almost every site from HP to Toshiba even though they know the battery in those ultra-books can't be accessed without  a can-opener!

jpfx

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Microsoft Surface Pro 3 8GB I7 256GB SSD
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 03:46 PM »
I have the same configuration except with an I5 cpu. I like it, but I also have a surface 3 4GB/128GB and that is adequate for most things and a bit more comfortable anyway. I'm not sold on an I7 in this form factor but I can appreciate it having a bit more horsepower. the fans are quieter than usual but an I7 (unless it is hobbled by the configuration) is going to get warm if exercised.
       |\      _,,,---,,_         
ZZZzzz /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;, 
      |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-'    
     '---''(_/--'  `-'\_)

questorfla

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 03:51 PM »
have you had to do a lot of firmware/software updates>?  I have not seen bios updates yet but MS just put out a bunch of firmware updates a week or so ago and said they were to fix problems with overheating (among other things).  All in all, though, i have to admit they worked pretty well even for the most i could throw at them

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 11:18 AM »
Has anyone used one of these for any length of time?  I am looking for honest opinions and not marketing glib. 

Already had to get them like it or not but wondered if I should expect any issues with overheating due to size and such.  I was kind of surprised to see that they come with tiny cooling fans (of some kind) in a true tablet form factor.  Don't know why MS didn't bother to make the keyboard (Type-cover) out of a Lithium Polymer so it could serve as an additional battery source.
As a side question, I need  to locate two fire-engine red "sleeves".  I searched Amazon and found quite a few but can't "road test" them all.  In this case, the users want light-weight more than "protection" from damage as the are "upper management" and live out of airports (more or less) spending more time in the air than on the ground.

The red color to match the Type-cover is probably just as important, it has to be a close match.  And needs to be more of a velvet pouch from what I can get out of the people they were purchased for.  Sad   :'(  This is the where the world of tech has gone..   Fashion sense matters most now  8)  :tellme:

Opinions of what to expect would be appreciated as I will be the one who has to keep them running with remote support if they choke-up 1000 miles from home.   I just hope someone here has had one for a while.

Mfr websites to this day still post intelligent things like "In case of system lock-up to first remove the battery ..." :huh:!!  I have seen this advice posted on almost every site from HP to Toshiba even though they know the battery in those ultra-books can't be accessed without  a can-opener!

you should search in the forum for my sp3 threads.
tldr...i love the sp3, despite the high price.  I don't think there's anything like it...so small, and full desktop power

jpfx

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 02:37 PM »
I believe there's well over 1GB of updates for w8.1. as for firmware... I've not especially noticed but then I hadn't noticed any 'problems' either.
       |\      _,,,---,,_         
ZZZzzz /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;, 
      |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-'    
     '---''(_/--'  `-'\_)

questorfla

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 11:09 PM »
I agree Superboyac.
I would buy one if i had the bux.  Only the two owners get those babies.
I wonder how long before MS will push Windows 10 onto them?  I have started noticing that most of the Windows page-intros are already showing Windows 10 like it is already out here for real.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2015, 11:25 PM »
I stated in another thread that I recently got the Surface 2, which is an ARM device running Windows RT. And I'm almost in love with it. If only it ran full Windows, which the Surface 3 does, I'd absolutely love it!

I would definitely buy one, especially the one mentioned in this thread (Pro 3, 8GB RAM, i7, 256GB) if it wasn't so expensive. :-* :-* :-*