topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 5:03 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: metadata solution  (Read 3451 times)

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
metadata solution
« on: March 23, 2015, 10:46 AM »
hello

when I was first exposed to the concept of metadata, it was when I had my mp3 collection
it was amazing that I could store all the info I would ever need (like name of artist, recording year, edition, title of album, etc) and I wasn't limited by the filename restrictions (too few characters, specific characters aren't allowed, need to create a consistent filename template, like Artist_Album_Year or Year_Artist_Album? etc)

now I am again facing that problem, but with files with xls, doc, pdf, zip, etc

am I limited to the filename of these files? or can I store additional information within them?
I am basically interested in a 'second filename': the original filename needs to be maintain for consistency purposes (eg hyperlinks, search/find it, etc) but it is not self descriptive, so I need another filename to describe that it actually is

is there a solution for this? it may not be based on metadata, but I would really like NOT to have a seperate file (eg. excel or text) that will contain the 'second filenames' of the files, because it won't be standalone within the files

thanks!

kilele

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: metadata solution
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 11:16 AM »
I never tried this software but think it may help in your case:
http://lunarfrog.com/taggedfrog/

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 05:00 PM »
hello

I try to analyze a problem where I want to assign a decriptive title in each of a list of files with filenames that are not indicative of their content and the filenames cannot be changed (for various reasons)

so I came up with this logical thinking, but I need to know if I am missing something, if a workaround can work, a new idea, some new technology, or something

here it is then:

To assign a descriptive title in a file let's say named xxx.pdf, this title needs to be saved somewhere. This somewhere is either internally in the file or somewhere externally, eg an excel file, text file, etc. Internally, there are two options: either inside the body of the file itself, like the first or last page of the xxx.pdf file, or in its metadata. But to read and display that info, we will need a viewer (ie. it cannot be done without having a program to read either the file or its metadata). Externally, we can have a database of the descriptive titles for each of the files, and somehow bind that data in a viewer.

Do you have any idea about this binding? What could be done?
Is there anything missing from that logical thinking?

thanks!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 05:05 PM »
please use a topic subject in your posts that makes clear what they are about, to help others while searching.
furthermore, i think this belongs on the metadata thread you started, not on its own -- so i'm going to merge it.

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 05:09 PM »
but I don't want it to be limited in metadata

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 04:01 AM »
hello

I try to analyze a problem where I want to assign a decriptive title in each of a list of files with filenames that are not indicative of their content and the filenames cannot be changed (for various reasons)

so I came up with this logical thinking, but I need to know if I am missing something, if a workaround can work, a new idea, some new technology, or something

here it is then:

To assign a descriptive title in a file let's say named xxx.pdf, this title needs to be saved somewhere. This somewhere is either internally in the file or somewhere externally, eg an excel file, text file, etc. Internally, there are two options: either inside the body of the file itself, like the first or last page of the xxx.pdf file, or in its metadata. But to read and display that info, we will need a viewer (ie. it cannot be done without having a program to read either the file or its metadata). Externally, we can have a database of the descriptive titles for each of the files, and somehow bind that data in a viewer.

Do you have any idea about this binding? What could be done?
Is there anything missing from that logical thinking?

thanks!

anyone to comment on this please?
is this logical approach complete?

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 08:16 AM »
Office documents already have metadata in them.

This is from PowerPoint:

Screenshot - 2015_03_25 , 12_14_26 AM.png

Other office documents have similar metadata embedded in them. It's simply a matter of iterating over folders and files and then reading that metadata.

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 09:16 AM »
yeah, I know
I am basically asking if there is another option than those I mention
ie. a way to assign a descriptive title in a file, apart from its filename