topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 1:55 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Microsoft is retiring Internet Explorer  (Read 6928 times)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Microsoft is retiring Internet Explorer
« on: March 22, 2015, 05:38 PM »
Bye bye to IE.

http://www.usatoday....ct-spartan/24909091/

Microsoft sends Internet Explorer to tech's scrapheap

SAN FRANCISCO — It's the end of the line for Internet Explorer.

The much maligned browser that battled Netscape to guide people around the World Wide Web was consigned to history this week by Microsoft, joining Palm Pilots, flip phones and Myspace as relics of a distant digital age.

A staple of the Internet for nearly two decades, the Explorer brand will be replaced by a flashier, speedier browser codenamed Project Spartan that will run on phones, tablets and personal computers but is expressly made for a new era of mobile devices.

Junking the Explorer brand is part of a new game plan at Microsoft. CEO Satya Nadella is determined to remake the aging technology giant as an innovator rather than a follower.

Even when it debuted, Explorer was a me-too product. Browser pioneer Netscape Navigator was the world's first commercial Web browser. It ignited the Internet boom and had already transformed how people roamed the Web. Even the Explorer name was derived from Navigator.

"Explorer was never a cool brand," Silicon Valley futurist Paul Saffo says. "It's like one step from AOL."

More at the link.

I wonder if they'll continue to make it available, or for how long. A lot of people depend on IE.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Microsoft is retiring Internet Explorer
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 08:59 PM »
Bye bye to IE.

http://www.usatoday....ct-spartan/24909091/

Microsoft sends Internet Explorer to tech's scrapheap

SAN FRANCISCO — It's the end of the line for Internet Explorer.

The much maligned browser that battled Netscape to guide people around the World Wide Web was consigned to history this week by Microsoft, joining Palm Pilots, flip phones and Myspace as relics of a distant digital age.

A staple of the Internet for nearly two decades, the Explorer brand will be replaced by a flashier, speedier browser codenamed Project Spartan that will run on phones, tablets and personal computers but is expressly made for a new era of mobile devices.

Junking the Explorer brand is part of a new game plan at Microsoft. CEO Satya Nadella is determined to remake the aging technology giant as an innovator rather than a follower.

Even when it debuted, Explorer was a me-too product. Browser pioneer Netscape Navigator was the world's first commercial Web browser. It ignited the Internet boom and had already transformed how people roamed the Web. Even the Explorer name was derived from Navigator.

"Explorer was never a cool brand," Silicon Valley futurist Paul Saffo says. "It's like one step from AOL."

More at the link.

I wonder if they'll continue to make it available, or for how long. A lot of people depend on IE.

A big part of things is the divide between branding and the backbone.

Part of me giggles about an alternate universe story where Windows 9 exists. "Mommy! Mommy! Microsoft is contributing millions to education! See, I can count! 7,8,10!"

I've seen varying rumbles on whether the backbone is still Trident or a new engine. Also unclear is the compatibility. So if people "need IE", it's the open question of whether Spartan will run whatever.

Someone else was rumbling about whether the brand change lets them try to ditch some ancient clunker code. But back from IE6 days, sometimes apps were optimized to use that clunker code just to get the app to work.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 11:31 AM »

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 11:37 AM »
Oh sweet Jesus! If you knew the nightmares of Trident...

There's no escaping Trident. Neptune himself would run! :)

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 11:43 AM »
MS should buy out Mozilla  :P

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 02:28 PM »
MS should buy out Mozilla  :P

I notice as FF incorporates more HTML5 stuff I see weird flaky things.  Stuff like sections of pages show black for a second before filling it.  It only started happening with 36.x that I noticed.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2015, 09:41 PM »
^ Chrome also does funky things. If a close a tab, then later switch a tab or open a new one, I'll often see the closed tab content flash for a moment.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2015, 04:34 PM »
^ Chrome also does funky things. If a close a tab, then later switch a tab or open a new one, I'll often see the closed tab content flash for a moment.

I think it might have smoothed it out.  I kept Super Start as Home Page.  I disabled it in new tabs.  Then I set about:config browser.newtab.url to about:blank instead of about:newtab.  The config should prevent the built in FF SpeedDial from trying to load in the new tab before the link I clicked has a chance to fill it in.  At least I hope that does it.  :)