topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 1:07 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Removing images when printing?  (Read 10266 times)

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Removing images when printing?
« on: January 28, 2015, 04:56 AM »
I was printing a few documents today and was thinking it would be nice to be able to remove images and print 2-up to save ink.

I found:
  • GreenCloud, which lets you print multiple pages per page, but does not let you remove graphics.
  • GreenPrint, which lets you remove graphics, but only on whole pages, and does not appear to support 2-up/4-up
  • FinePrint and priPrinter, which look somewhat overkill, and are also more expensive

Any recommendations?

eleman

• Spam Killer
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Removing images when printing?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 05:04 AM »
There's this iprint thingie, but I'm not sure if it would allow you remove images. Haven't used it for a while.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 12:22 PM »
Print in Draft Mode

In some print drivers, this mode goes under the name of “Print Saver,” “Toner Saver,” or “Economy.” When you select File –> Print, a box will pop up with your printer’s settings. Click “Properties” to see specific options for your print job. Click on the tab that says “Paper/Quality” or something similar and you’ll see an option to change your print quality to “Draft.” Selecting the draft option will print your photo at a lower resolution and the printer will dispense less ink. This selection is designed for initial-draft copies of a photo or document when overall quality is not important.
-inkpal.com
------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.howtogeek...-sites-print-better/

I was very pleased with •Readability ◦ http://www.readability.com/ ◦ "Readability is a web and mobile app that zaps clutter and saves web articles in a comfortable reading view."  - but that is for web articles only, before saving the documents.

Other than that, at first I would recommend PriPrinter Pro, but that was because we had an early version a lot cheaper than the new; ouch, it's expensive! So, you query for alternatives to priprinter: http://alternativeto...software/priprinter/ and you get this answer:

(click to enlarge to 743x1182 pixels)

alterna2015-01-28_190018.gifRemoving images when printing?

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 01:10 PM »
I think PriPrinter Pro will be willing to give Donationcoder a 30% discount on the Pro, making it a bit better.

Based on some recent correspondence after a Bits special (which was not on the Pro.)

The program is very good, and the alternatives like Fineprint also cost money.
Depends on the long-term features and sophistication you like.

I plan to buy.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 03:10 PM by Steven Avery »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 01:16 PM »
I think PriPrinter Pro will be willing to give Donationcoder a 30% discount on the Pro, making it a bit better.

Based on some recent correspondence after a Bits special (which was not on the Pro.)

seems to me the standard version would be fine - unless the "PDF publisher" integrated in the pro version is something special...

Edit, maybe it is - this link gives a better idea of differences:
http://priprinter.com/editions.htm
Tom

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 02:15 PM »
Once in a while Abelssoft will offer a discount on CleverPrint, but right now the price is the normal €40.

Prints multiple pages on one sheet
   CleverPrint minimizes your printing costs by printing up to 8 pages on one

Optimises PrintJobs
   CleverPrint can remove graphics within a printjob and thus drastically reduce printing costs

Deletes unwanted pages
   Printjobs often contain pages, which you don´t want to print. Simply remove them with CleverPrint

Integrated PDF-Printer
   CleverPrint is able to convert printjobs into PDF documents, or into PNG, JPG, etc.
-CleverPrint 2015
http://www.abelssoft.net/cleverprint.php

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, 02:27 PM »
Thanks all for the input :-*.

I've looked at the browser add-ons, but I think it would be nice if it worked for all print jobs, not just web pages.

seems to me the standard version would be fine - unless the "PDF publisher" integrated in the pro version is something special...

Edit, maybe it is - this link gives a better idea of differences:
http://priprinter.com/editions.htm

I think the normal edition could probably do what I was requesting. But with a discount, perhaps things like PDF publishing and reflowing would be nice additions.

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2015, 11:43 AM »

Is anyone pursuing this?

tomicjr

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2015, 05:36 PM »
I have used FinePrint for over 10 years, as well as their pdfFactory.

I can testify that it is very stable, updated frequently with new features and fixes, and does exactly what I need for saving paper and ink!

It does not appear to have as many bells & whistles compared to priprinter, so you will have to evaluate it against your needs.

It does enable you to remove images, pages, and redact text.

Many current OOTB printer drivers have other similar features these days, but I still go back to FinePrint every day.  It is one of my most often used utilities, along with FARR.  :Thmbsup:

x16wda

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • what am I doing in this handbasket?
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2015, 07:37 PM »
A lot of printer drivers will have some of those features built in, such as 2-up (or more) printing and draft mode. I could swear there was one printer I owned that had more options like removing images, but my current HP doesn't.
vi vi vi - editor of the beast

cchian

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2015, 08:03 PM »
For web pages I often use a browser extension from PrintFriendly as it allows me to easily remove images and other parts of the page, the end result is printer friendly. You can also save the edited page as a pdf file.