topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 3:09 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: New FARR user. Some basic questions, some advance & bug report(s)  (Read 4806 times)

dcsev

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi mouser,
Long time no see! I have finally decided to use FARR as my #1 launcher. If I use it 100% of the time, you can be assured I will be an active member of this forum. I have been told I am the absolutely grandmaster of breaking things, so if there's any issues/potential improvements in FARR, I will find them :)

Anyways, here's a few things (running latest version)

QUESTIONS:
1. (Urgent)  How to do I launch apps using hotkeys? For example, I want to launch Chrome with ALT+C.  There is a shortcut in the folder for Chrome, so I would like to assign it to launch using ALT+C.  Oh mouser. Please o please o please tell me FARR can do this.  If not, I want to beg and plead you if you could implement it somehow. It's the only thing keeping me from using your app 100% of my time.  I tried reading the help, fiddling around for hours but could not figure out how to do this.

BUGs?

1. I know FARR launches QuickDocLauncher.exe, but when I do it independently it launches and closes and takes up 100%.  There is literally no way to recover from this unless I log off or restart. Not a big deal, but I am guessing this shouldnt happen.

2. Icons are not showing in shortcuts created by UACpass. This is definitely what seems to be a deficiency in FARR, as windows and any other program sees the original icons.
Here's an pic of the problem:

EDIT: I think some explanation is in order.  I created a custom shortcut using the program UACpass to run the app in TRUE (Win 7+) admin priveledges without prompting me.  My UAC switch in CP is at the highest level.  Here is an example of the shortcut. It points to schtasks.exe, but there is an icon associated with the shortcut. It seems FARR is trying to poll the icon from the original icon instead of the shortcut.
Here's the shortcut: C:\Windows\System32\schtasks.exe /run /tn "UAC pass\pia_manager"

3. It seems like FARR is not respecting the setting for launching folders in the 'custom app' I set (XYplorer). It does so under most cases, but not all. For example, If I type C:\test in FARR it will launch fine in XYplorer. However, if I launch a shortcut for C:\Test it will launch the folder in Windows 8.1 64bit. Is this intended?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: New FARR user. Some basic questions, some advance & bug report(s)
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 09:48 AM »
Ok let's see:

1. FARR does not let you configure hotkeys to launch specific apps.  You can configure hotkeys to bring up FARR with specific search text initialized, which could mostly be used for the same purpose, but FARR is not meant to be used to make lots of hotkeys for specific apps.  Having said that, i COULD add the feature without too much trouble, so maybe i will.  But i would caution against over using it.  There are good general purpose hotkey tools for that.

BUGS:

1. if you don't want to use quickdoclauncher, go to the Launching Files options tab, and uncheck the "use file launch helper utility".  I don't understand what you mean when you say "when i do it independently.."
2. let me look into the shortcut icon issue.. so you are saying you set a custom icon for a shortcut and farr is ignoring it and instead displaying the linked exe icon?
3. let me look into this -- you are saying you are launching a shortcut that points to a folder, and you want farr to use the custom directory app to open it..

dcsev

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 10:08 AM »
EDIT: Wow the board is slow. I responded within seconds and it was like 12 minute late lol

I don't understand what you mean when you say "when i do it independently.."
When I launched the app from windows explorer, it crashed my computer lol.

1. FARR does not let you configure hotkeys to launch specific apps.  You can configure hotkeys to bring up FARR with specific search text initialized, which could mostly be used for the same purpose, but FARR is not meant to be used to make lots of hotkeys for specific apps.  Having said that, i COULD add the feature without too much trouble, so maybe i will.  But i would caution against over using it.  There are good general purpose hotkey tools for that.

*gets down on knees* This would be VERY appreciated. I really don't want to run another app for this if possible and I know your implementation would be clean, decisive and extremely portable (which is critical for me)

With that said, do you have any recommendations on "good general hotkey tools"? I tried looking for some and couldn't find any.  Windows 8.1's shortcut method forces you to use the CTRL key leading the shortcut and is very unreliable.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 10:16 AM by stisev »

dcsev

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 10:16 AM »
Regarding #2:

The best way to show you is to give you the instructions on how to replicate the issue:

1. Download UAC pass (it is Completely safe)
https://sites.google...eeavvarea/UACPass-en

2. Make a dedicated shortcut

3. Drag it into UAC pass.  It will create a shortcut wherever you chose in the settings (I clicked "My desktop" for destination).  Anyways, that shortcut is now pointing to Schedtasks, but it has an icon!

4. Put that shortcut in a /TEST folder.  Name is mouseristhebest

5. Add that folder to FARR.
6. Search for mouseristhebest
7. Observe no icon of shortcut

Regarding #3:
here's a pic of the problem

That "Sandbox" file is actually a shortcut inside of another folder. If I press the number 1, it will launch the shortcut but NOT in XYplorer. It will launch it in Windows Explorer, which to my understanding violates the intended function of the setting (?).

Also, one final request.

I am at the main window in FARR, main text box is focused.  If I hold down CTRL + SHIFT and click arrow left, it should select the word my marker is closest to, but it doesnt.  I can use SHIFT + ARROW LEFT fine, but when I add CONTROL button to highlight entire words, it doesn't work.  Any chance this could be added as well?   Hotkeys take priority though IMO ;)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 10:21 AM by stisev »

dcsev

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 07:11 AM »
I just had an "Aha!" moment when I realized one of my favorite apps ever made, EventGhost, will easily do hotkey launching for apps, shorts, etc.

It still would be nice to have this feature in FARR though, as I am sure some would find it useful!