topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:29 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Softmaker Office: **90%+** Discount!!!! Offer Expires Feb5 6pm(?) EST  (Read 26098 times)

brahman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi,

since Softmaker has a very special UPGRADE offer, you can get its Office software with a 90%+ discount legally TODAY only by following these steps even if right now you do not own their software (because they allow upgrades from their FreeOffice product):

1.) Go to www.freeoffice.com and click on Download and then you get a registration window, in which you should put in the information you will later purchase the upgrade with. Install the software.

2.) Go to www.softmaker.com and click on "Shop".

3.) In the "Redeem Discount Coupon" field enter "dfro".

Voila - you will see the following discounted prices for the upgrade versions (for which you are now eligible since you have FreeOffice - see step one):

Office Standard: $6.99 (Full Product $79.95 = 90%+ discount)
Office Professional $19.99 (includes more dictionaries and an Outlook clone, full product $99.95)
Office for Linux 2012 $10.99 (like windows standard, full product $79.95)

They also have like 50% discounts on some of their font packs (scroll down more).

Enjoy!
Regards, Brahman
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 03:46 AM by brahman »

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Softmaker Office: **90%+** Discount!!!! Offer Expires Feb5 6pm(?) EST
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2015, 01:42 AM »
Thanks for posting this.

I can't help but wonder if SoftMaker Office 2015 is close enough that buying this will include an upgrade to it.

brahman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2015, 03:45 AM »
I had that thought also, but I don't think so.

They probably want to sell it to you cheap now, so that they can entice some users to upgrade to 2015.

Anyway, it's a fantastic deal on its own.

I just bought it.

Also I purchased it, because I am using their so generously made free Android version, which is fantastic and can make spreadsheets work that their competitors cannot, and this way I can give something back to this developer.
Regards, Brahman

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2015, 05:32 AM »
I'll wait for SoftMaker's 2015 version.  :)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2015, 11:09 AM »
the dfro discount is not globally fixed, so to speak. My upgrade discount for Office Professional here in Denmark is kr. 223.05 now kr. 133.95, and for Office Standard: kr. 148.55 now kr. 44.60. SoftMaker Office 2012 for Linux was kr. 223.05, is now kr. 74.40. Good upgrade discounts, but nowhere near 90%.

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2015, 11:29 AM »
Yes, I was considering upgrading from the normal version to pro, but the discount only brought the upgrade price down to roughly the $20 difference there is between the two versions in the first place.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Upgrade offer for Softmaker Office 2012
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2015, 08:46 AM »
i received a somewhat similar offer today, in case someone is interested.

http://www.softmaker...m/shop/shop-ifro.htm

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

In the hierarchy of trying out new entries in software categories, I tackled browsers years ago and am pretty solidly decided on PaleMoon.

Much more recently, I am looking into office packages and specifically the Excel alternatives.

I have grown quite dissatisfied with LibreOffice for various reasons. I currently like Kingsoft Office, so that's my entry to beat. I have heard about SoftMaker, but the fact it doesn't have a full free version is a big step against it.

Just for reference, here is one of the links to a trial of S-O 2012 - 30 days.
http://www.softmaker...nglish/trials_en.htm

So it would have to be really solid to overtake KingSoft for me. But before I "waste the clock", I have a small consulting project coming up, so I'd really want a good starter grasp of KingSoft and then much later try this trial to compare.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'll wait for SoftMaker's 2015 version.  :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Find out more about new SoftMaker Office 2016 for Windows
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
On every workday during the last three weeks, we have reported on our Facebook page about innovations and improvements in the upcoming SoftMaker Office 2016 for Windows. If you are a user of SoftMaker Office, you should read this important information to find out how we improved your office suite. And it´s not only that. We also hold a sweepstakes in which you can win one of three valuable Android devices.

http://www.facebook.com/softmaker

For those of you who don´t use Facebook, we mirror the information from our Facebook page on our web site - updated every workday:
http://www.softmaker...glish/ofw2016_en.htm
-SoftMaker newsletter for: Curt

"2016"

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
SoftMaker Office 2016: Beta ready for download
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2015, 08:28 AM »
SoftMaker Office 2016 Beta is ready for download.

ofw16_devices_ver001.png
http://www.softmaker...english/ofw16_en.htm

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
SoftMaker Office 2016 Beta is ready for download.

This could be important!

- Is the Beta free?

- Is it stuck with an expiration date?

This is important to me because after my big disappointments with LibreOffice, I don't plan to buy an office package sight unseen. So I will want to try the spreadsheet module and compare it to Kingsoft.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
^ you have to give an email address, they send a serial number.
Current beta is only valid till April 30, but I presume there will be a new beta by then.
Tom

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
So I will want to try the spreadsheet module and compare it to Kingsoft.

go for it Tao !
It would be very interesting to hear a comparison :up:

(I'm very happy with Textmaker's compatibility with Word - but couldnt really comment beyond that.)
Tom

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Well, a quick glance suggests the following:

- Price:
Way up on the list of comparisin criteria is that Kingsoft is free and Softmaker is ... a "chunk" of money, for varying editions and chunks.

So when Paid fights Free, it has to "prove it".

- UI
Softmaker also has an "older/semi-classic" menu layout, different from all the Ribbons MS has been mucking with. So in general, I approve. But if memory vaguely serves, Kingsoft is very close to Excel 2003. Planmaker has "medium" item switches. K-S (MS 2003?) Data and Insert vs Softmaker Table and Insert seem to be playing musical chairs with items.

The two seem to be "mostly?" comparable. So from the price perspective a user would try Kingsoft first, and if they decide they need a "killer feature", to then check Softmaker.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
btw Kingsoft Pro compares to Softmaker Pro pricewise:

• does Kingsoft have any comparison page between versions?
  • can you use free version commercially? (I presume not but couldnt find any comparison)
Tom

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
KingSoft also has a professional version that costs a "chunk" of money.

There is a comparison page here and here, I have no idea if both are the same company, the web design is different. They also have this homepage, which appears to be the same company and office suite, but with a different name. I guess stuff like this is part of why I have been a little wary of it.

SoftMaker also has a free office suite, comparison here.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingsoft

It looks like that whole Kingsoft - WPS could be branding that isn't totally ironed out. A "famous" example is that Sage software bought up the construction program Timberline, and then renamed it to "Sage 300". The program MAS 90 then became "Sage 100". I found it to be a big mess!

Also, I didn't get wrapped up in "Pro" stuff - I didn't see the free version of Softmaker - I didn't look hard, but then it wasn't quite bow-wrapped either.

I'm a basic user - I eval heavily on "are the basics sane" stuff. Libre really upset me over years, and I finally gave up on them. If anyone has a link to a "free forever" version of Softmaker, post it here!

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
^ never heard of google duckduckgo?  :P :D

http://www.freeoffice.com/
Tom

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
^ never heard of google duckduckgo?  :P :D

http://www.freeoffice.com/

I might have gotten to that at some point, but it's useful to have it in the thread!

From what I can see of the screenshot, my UI comment applies still. So it will be much more than a quick "this beta will self destruct in a week" before I decide which of the two I like. Then again, there's no reason not to use them both as a whim strikes! I expect each will have a feature that's nice, and I like using tools in tandem sometimes!

So it's nice to get the "paid" part out of the discussion. I don't do macros and stuff, so I don't expect I'll need the pro version.

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hmm, 2016 looks not very different from 2012 and somewhat "uncatchy" (by means of boring). I like that the beta ends soon, this could mean that the release will follow quickly. I pity the loss of eM Client though. Thunderbird is bugware.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
^eM became unusable for me a while back (hogging cpu). I gave up waiting for an update - and then I heard this news. So I'm using the 'bugware' Thunderbird - seems fine to me FWIW (not using IMAP with it though).
Will be interesting to see what they do for it.

This does sort of blur the lines though, between the standard and pro versions (€30 extra for Thunderbird?!)
Tom

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
If their refreshed Thunderbird stops crashing if you do weird things with it (like actually using it...), it might be an improvement. "Free" and good Windows IMAP clients are rare. (But then again, my €30 are already reserved for the next The Bat! upgrade.)

brahman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Does anybody know if one has bought in February, can one upgrade to SM Office 2016 for free?
Regards, Brahman

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Office Discount
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2015, 06:20 PM »
^ SoftMaker Office 2016 is so expensively priced that I feel certain there is no free update from 2012, no matter how late you bought it.

Besides AbiWord, AbleWord, Apache OpenOffice, Calligra Suite, Kingsoft WPS Office, SoftMaker Office, Ashampoo Office, EuroOffice, FreeOffice, Lotus Symphony, Libre Office, Only TeamLab (online) Office, Microsoft Word ~ Office, OxygenOffice Suite, SSuite Office, StarOffice, WordPerfect Office, Yozo Office, Jarte, WordGraph, and many othersw there is also Atlantis Word Processor, to consider>>

I bought Atlantis a year ago with 70% discount for $ 10 and the offer is still valid: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Office-tools/Text-editors/Atlantis-Word-Processor.shtml

Atlantis is still being maintained.  :up:
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 02:00 AM by Curt, Reason: Wiki link »

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
^ SoftMaker Office 2016 is so expensively priced that I feel certain there is no free update from 2012, no matter how late you bought it.

I agree it feels a bit pricy -- I think I'll wait till they send out one of those ugprade specials for customers using older versions.