topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:42 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: This Robot Is the Best Limit Texas Hold'Em Player in the World  (Read 6985 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
I can't wait to read the full paper -- this is very cool stuff.

That's the key, of course. Birch and his colleagues essentially "brute forced" the game of limit poker, in which there are roughly 3 x 10^14 possible decisions. That, ​according to some estimates, is more possible permutations than hands of poker than have ever been played in human history.

eleman

• Spam Killer
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: This Robot Is the Best Limit Texas Hold'Em Player in the World
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 11:05 AM »
I wonder what John Von Neumann would think about it.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2015, 11:37 AM »
So... does it pass the Turing test?
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2015, 01:37 PM »
Hmm, I don't play poker so I don't know how limit works. But if in that variant the math and "perfect basic strategy" is stronger than the bluff side, then it just reverts back to comps playing calculation-based games as well as they tend to do if they can get the "wide angle lens" mostly within their heuristics + search horizon. So while interesting, it doesn't really interest me. You can basically "automate" any of X class of games, and even invent new ones solely for that purpose.

Even at the meta level, tons of X classes of games are comp-bait, limited only by us not having access (yet!?) to a "bored millionaire" to hire someone to program an AI for them. So I am having a little trouble thinking of games that people such as me can "learn easily" but would be tough for a computer *disregarding Shrdlu traps*. (That means don't cop to the cheap excuse that the first 1000 lines of code are "hard". In this class of games, they're not "hard", they're just "tedious". Someone mentioned the mobile game Clash of Clans yesterday to me. I essentially "broke" the first phase of the game in about six hours, where it all resolves to "Yay, you got to level three and barely squeaked a level four base, now you get to sit there and stew for an entire week waiting for your resources to come back up, or you can spend money to keep playing at a sane non-abusive rate. Piece of cake conceptually.)

To me, an experiment I haven't seen (thoroughly?) tried is an "emotional tabulator". Where, let's say you "borrow" some human raw interpretation skills to get past the dumb Loebner Prize comp-breakers, like "which is bigger, Queen Elizabeth or the boat?", you start with "neutral evals" towards subjects, then for each piece of data that floats by, you just "form your opinion" and adjust your "opinion markers" on how you feel about it. Then when something in a similar category floats by later, you have partially built opinions you get to keep modifying.

We normally consider that "higher level intelligence", but I feel that once some "front end processing" is done, it's actually disturbingly easier than we might think.

Nany 2016 anyone?

« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 01:46 PM by TaoPhoenix »