topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:45 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: create a list of paths to a speific subfolder name underneath a parent folder  (Read 2712 times)

questorfla

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • Fighting Slime all the Time
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Short of loading up on GNU commands is there an easy way to do this?   MS completely left out all ability to specify any boundaries on the "dir" or "search" or any other windows/dos commands.  I need a list of all the paths to subfolders named "cache" underneath a parent folder.  Most are at the 2nd level and none are more then 3 or 4.  I had thought maybe Dos "find" might do it but they have no recursive abilities or if they do they won't for me.  I end up being the one doing al the "curs" ing  :) instead.  I also tried to preload the Utility "everything" to just look for every occurrence of that name using the Parent folder as a starting point but for some reason even that doesn't want to cooperate.
If I run the search inside the parent, there will be many of these subfolders named "cache".  While the cache subfolder may contain other subfolders I only need to get a list of paths to the top level "cache" subfolder.  A simple text file would be nice showing the full path all the3 way back to c:\.

questorfla

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • Fighting Slime all the Time
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
MasterSeeker 1.2!  THAT is exactly what I needed!  
WOW  I found my own answer almost immediately right here on DC!

BEST Place to find the answers to Anything!
 :) :P
>>And that is not just an unwarranted  "Plug" for you  DxCK  it really DOES do things nothing else would!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 10:26 PM by questorfla »

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
dir "cache" /s /ad /b >somefile.txt

Run it from the parent directory.

Code: Text [Select]
  1. C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\farcry\Shaders\Cache
  2. C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\farcry\Shaders\HWScripts\Declarations\CGPShaders\Cache
  3. C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\farcry\Shaders\HWScripts\Declarations\CGVShaders\Cache
  4. C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\penumbra overture\redist\core\cache
  5. C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\DRM\Cache
  6. C:\Users\4wd\AppData\Local\dxhr\cache
  7. C:\Users\4wd\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Terminal Server Client\Cache
  8. C:\Users\4wd\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Store\Cache
  9. C:\Users\4wd\AppData\Local\NuGet\Cache
  10. C:\Users\4wd\AppData\Local\Origin\Origin\cache
  11. C:\Users\4wd\AppData\Local\Packages\winstore_cw5n1h2txyewy\LocalState\Cache
  12. C:\Users\4wd\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache
  13. C:\Users\All Users\Microsoft\Windows\DRM\Cache
  14. C:\Windows\System32\spp\store\2.0\cache
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 12:27 AM by 4wd »