topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 3:16 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Dopus file names are cut  (Read 9472 times)

Spiz

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Dopus file names are cut
« on: December 08, 2014, 03:57 AM »
hi all
I am Using DOpus V10.5.3 and the file names in the lister are cut to short
(see attachment)
anybody can help to fix that?
Thanks

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Dopus file names are cut
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 05:10 AM »
If you don't need 8.3 names at all you can disable them for NTFS partitions by opening an elevated CLI and entering:

fsutil.exe behavior set disable8dot3 1

It'll also increase the filesystem performance a little.

BTW, you're using an old version of DOpus 10 - last was 10.5.7.0.

Otherwise, you best bet is to ask in the DOpus Resource forums.

Ennovy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 06:16 AM »
That's usually the result of trying to use a pirate version or bypass the licence checks in Opus.

Search dopus resource centre and you find a lot of posts with the same question

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 11:26 PM »
That's usually the result of trying to use a pirate version or bypass the licence checks in Opus.

Didn't know that, thanks - though I see it can also be caused by not completely removing a prior installed illegal copy before a legit copy was installed.

Benefit of the doubt and all that :)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 01:29 AM »
@Ennovy - By "license checks" (as in plural) do you mean DO is one of those products that periodically or regularly "phones home" for a license verification even after initial installation?

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2014, 04:03 AM »
@Ennovy - By "license checks" (as in plural) do you mean DO is one of those products that periodically or regularly "phones home" for a license verification even after initial installation?

Already been discussed from about this point here.

Once the initial license check is done, you can block it if you like, it doesn't affect the functionality of the program.

From the FAQ:
The times that Opus attempts Internet access are:

• When you use the FTP (or advanced FTP) features.
  •    When you use the ImageShack Upload or Flickr Synchronization features.
  •    When you send an email (or send a file via email) using the built-in SMTP client.
  •    When you run the update checker (or it runs automatically due to your Preferences settings), and when an update is downloaded. The update checker will make a port 80 HTTP connection to http://www.gpsoft.com.au (which is the same IP address as smtp.gpsoft.com.au, so you might see that in a reverse DNS lookup) for the main version check, and another port 80 HTTP connection to one of Google's servers to get an RSS feed of news articles.
  •    A third-party viewer plugin or Windows Explorer shell extension connects to the Internet. For example, the shell extension for Perforce (a source control system) is known to create network connections when you right-click files (more details). Shell extensions for various cloud storage systems may also connect to the network, for obvious reasons.
  •    When verifying the integrity of the program.

This last item involves the various methods Opus uses to protect against viruses and illegal use of the software (DRM). You can block these using a firewall if you wish - Opus does not attempt to "evade" or "get around" your firewall in any way. Legitimate users have no reason to be concerned by this activity, and none of your personal information is ever transmitted in this way.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 04:22 AM by 4wd »

michaelkenward

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • Broken monitor
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2014, 04:46 AM »
...you find a lot of posts with the same question

"Lots" is a slight exaggeration these days. Such posts crop up a few times a year on the Opus forum.

There is another, perhaps more common, sign of "illicit" use. Someone turns up on the forum and asks for help. The people over there ask the questioner to "link their account" to the licence number for their installation. (Without that link, your call for help is likely to go unanswered.) The questioner often vanishes, never to be heard from again.
MK

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2014, 06:29 AM »

Already been discussed from about this point here.

Ok...my apologies for asking about it again. Not being a DO user, the previous answer (back in March in a different thread) went in one synapse, got relayed to the client who had asked me about it, and then went straight out the other. Having forgotten, I asked about it a second time.

FWIW, the concluding comment in DO's FAQ about it struck me as being rather defensive and somewhat accusatory. But that's probably just me. ;)

The times that Opus attempts Internet access are:
  • When verifying the integrity of the program.

This last item involves the various methods Opus uses to protect against viruses and illegal use of the software (DRM). You can block these using a firewall if you wish - Opus does not attempt to "evade" or "get around" your firewall in any way. Legitimate users have no reason to be concerned by this activity, and none of your personal information is ever transmitted in this way.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2014, 01:30 PM »
FWIW, the concluding comment in DO's FAQ about it struck me as being rather defensive and somewhat accusatory. But that's probably just me. ;)

DOpus is one of the most powerful file managers available & I'm a satisfied legal user of v11. Having said that, anytime any questions regarding pricing of their program, paid upgrades, or license checks come up everyone connected to the company gets defensive and their hair bristles.

I've got no problem with what they do & I'm sure you can only remain calm in the face of criticism for so long before you start losing patience. I try not to let it color my experience with, IMHO, is an excellent application.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2014, 03:01 PM »

DOpus is one of the most powerful file managers available & I'm a satisfied legal user of v11. Having said that, anytime any questions regarding pricing of their program, paid upgrades, or license checks come up everyone connected to the company gets defensive and their hair bristles.

I've got no problem with what they do & I'm sure you can only remain calm in the face of criticism for so long before you start losing patience. I try not to let it color my experience with, IMHO, is an excellent application.

@Innuendo - Must be good considering they have at least one apologist here. And one I respect to boot.  :)

So...ok. Fair enough. It must be me then.  :-[

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2014, 09:55 PM »
Ok...my apologies for asking about it again. Not being a DO user, the previous answer (back in March in a different thread) went in one synapse, got relayed to the client who had asked me about it, and then went straight out the other. Having forgotten, I asked about it a second time.

No need to apologise, I was merely seeking to conserve energy by not having the same information duplicated ... somewhere some electrons will be happy ... I guess :)

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2014, 08:56 PM »
@Innuendo - Must be good considering they have at least one apologist here. And one I respect to boot.  :)

So...ok. Fair enough. It must be me then.  :-[

I think you misunderstood me. :)

To rephrase, no. It's not you. They can come off as being accusatory at times, but their product fortunately more than makes up for it.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2014, 04:11 AM »
There is another, perhaps more common, sign of "illicit" use. Someone turns up on the forum and asks for help. The people over there ask the questioner to "link their account" to the licence number for their installation. (Without that link, your call for help is likely to go unanswered.) The questioner often vanishes, never to be heard from again.
-michaelkenward (December 09, 2014, 04:46 AM)

the 'account linking' seems like quite a good system,
but I dont understand the conclusion that people who dont want this 'linking' are pirates.
Sure, some of them will be pirates --
but have we gotten to the stage where wanting privacy automatically equates to being guilty :tellme:
Tom

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2014, 06:32 PM »
the 'account linking' seems like quite a good system,
but I dont understand the conclusion that people who dont want this 'linking' are pirates.
Sure, some of them will be pirates --
but have we gotten to the stage where wanting privacy automatically equates to being guilty :tellme:

Just to clear up any misunderstanding, linking one's registration information to the forum doesn't compromise anyone's privacy. The only visible signs that it has been done is a person's username appears in a different color and they are added to the Registered User group. Also, not having linked registration does not mean a denial of assistance. However, registered users are given higher priority with their support requests.

Seems fair.

peter.s

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2014, 09:55 AM »
I love bombs, and this is one.

Spiz, 1 post, obviously didn't get the help he asked for over there, so asks here. Is probably another Swiss, since French and German (beyond his seemingly English OS) is to be found in his screenshot (in Switzerland, even scavengers do get more than 10,000 bucks net each month (no, that's not a joke), so buying DO is not evident, hm?

Btw, rather soon, DO will be on bits again, since then, rather soon, new paid upgrade will be published. Very seriously, I think any developer can learn lots of things, marketing-wise, both from the Australian doctor and from German Mr. Bartels. (DO is the only venture that makes real money from their bits experience, and that's quite a treat; differenciating between paying customers and onlookers also is smart at first sight, the inherent problem residing in this deliberate discrimination being of course that overt rudeness to the latter group (and even vàv paying customers, in their forum) will cause many legitimate prospects to back off from buying.

Then, you will remember that I've been very critical on DO in the past, and for good reasons all upheld, but when people say it's the very best file manager out there... well, there are not lying: not by DO being really good, but because all other current file managers are even worse: I can freely mention this all-relative superiority here since DO's development is as unsatisfactory as is theirs, so my post will not change anything on this: Everywhere, it's coders doing the work of system analysts, some Warnier, Carr or Wang ain't born that often.

This being said, it's evident, by DO's relative superiority (which btw is not sufficiently communicated: by numbers, yes (i.e. lotsa people saying, it's so good, it's worth its price!), by detailing core features and their respective implementation, in order to make available expectable work flows in DO which ain't accessible in its competitors (incl. XY which strives hard), by lesser-qualified implementations of similar core functionality), not: laziness on either side causing this, the doctor plus Leo not sufficiently being motivated, neither the high-paying users, especially here on DC, perhaps by wanting to share their satisfaction, but not their workflow secrets?

As said before, whenever I have been wrong, I rectify as soon as I see my mistake(s), so here, yes, their competition is so bad (X2 again on bits, currently, OMG!) that in direct comparison, DO's prices are "justified" - IF then you can work it all out (and no, this ain't another hint at their countless "options").

Of course, some well-thought-out file manager would have been the better alternative.

P.S.: I also considered to have deliberate bugs popping up in the face of non-paying users only: This being tightrope walking though, in many countries it's illegal (and thus subject to financial liability) to delete user data... even illegal users' data that is, so there's a limit to what you could sensibly invent to push further along this line (e.g. overheating the board?).
When the wise points to the moon, the moron just looks at his pointer. China.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2014, 02:51 PM »
Is probably another Swiss, since French and German (beyond his seemingly English OS) is to be found in his screenshot

Since I've also had software that provides the exact same filenames, I guess that makes me Italian ... or French ... or German ... or North American ... or English ... or Australian ... or a New Zealander ... or Spanish ... or Argentinian ... or Mexican ... or just another human stuck on a planet full of them.