topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 1:07 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Please recommend a Canadian domain name registrar to me  (Read 8425 times)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Please recommend a Canadian domain name registrar to me
« on: November 14, 2014, 11:55 PM »
I'm looking for recommendations of Canadian owned domain name registrars with a solid reputation.

Please DO NOT recommend an American registrar or any other. I am not interested. Canadian only. (Or possibly Australian if you know a really good Aussie registrar.)

Thanks in advance.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Please recommend a Canadian domain name registrar to me
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 12:06 AM »
doteasy.com I used in the past. My experience was good but I eventually moved the domain in question to US based registrar.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 12:42 AM »
I've used NetRegistry in Australia a couple of years ago but, like rgdot, I moved the domain in question, (.net), to a US based registrar, (they're cheaper).

I also still have a .au domain through VentraIP, mainly because I got a hosting package cheap through them - I really should do something with it I guess  :-\

eleman

• Spam Killer
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2014, 01:31 AM »
I use easydns. A bit more expensive than namecheap, but it's based in Canada. It is highly recommended by techdirt.

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2014, 01:51 AM »
Just out of curiosity...what difference does it make if they are from other countries?  Does it mean anything special, or is it a purely political choice?

eleman

• Spam Killer
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2014, 01:54 AM »
I no longer trust US based ones, after so many domain name seizures by captured US government agencies such as ICE. Not that I have anything illegal on my domains (mom's recipes site, wifey's company's site etc.), but a government should not be able to seize a domain name without court orders. US govt does that.

So my motive is political.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2014, 06:53 AM »
I use easydns. A bit more expensive than namecheap, but it's based in Canada. It is highly recommended by techdirt.

THANK YOU!

I saw this and I'm pretty much sold on them.

Just out of curiosity...what difference does it make if they are from other countries?  Does it mean anything special, or is it a purely political choice?

The United States Marshals Service had my blog taken down today. (I have it back up now.) My registrar is in the US, but my hosting provider is in Canada. I want to ditch everything to do with the US and get all my domains into Canada. (I ditched my server in Texas to host with a Canadian company in Canada.)

I no longer trust US based ones,

Same.

after so many domain name seizures by captured US government agencies such as ICE.

Mine wasn't seized, but it was put offline.

Not that I have anything illegal on my domains

Same. Nothing illegal at all.

but a government should not be able to seize a domain name without court orders. US govt does that.

Exactly. I don't want my domain seized. So, I'm getting the hell out of Dodge.

So my motive is political.

Same.

This is a royal pain in the butt.

eleman

• Spam Killer
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2014, 06:56 AM »
The United States Marshals Service had my blog taken down today. (I have it back up now.) My registrar is in the US, but my hosting provider is in Canada. I want to ditch everything to do with the US and get all my domains into Canada. (I ditched my server in Texas to host with a Canadian company in Canada.)

What was your blog about?

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2014, 07:04 AM »

What was your blog about?

I called out Ars Technica for blatantly lying (black lie - not remotely true).

I also posted complete and unredacted/uncensored information that was evidence for my claim. That included information that the United States Marshals Service didn't take kindly to.

I don't want to post anything more here in the Living Room. You can check my initial response to the take down here.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2014, 08:35 AM »
I wasn't aware that Canada, or any of the other countries in INGSOC "the circle of eyes," should be any safer for domain registration. They all seem to dance to the tune of US cyber policy. And the UK has already wandered a lot further down the path of e-tyranny than the US has. (So far.)

SeraphimLabs

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • Be Ready
    • View Profile
    • SeraphimLabs
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2014, 02:35 PM »
Worth noting- even if you are on a non-US registrar, the big .com .net .org etc TLDs are still managed by US-owned Verisign, and through that route they can simply seize your domain name if you offend.

You need to go to one of the less common TLDs for your domain name with a non-US and prefferably Asian or middle eastern owned domain registration agency in order to avoid American bullying practices when it comes to domain and site seizures.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2014, 04:00 PM »

Holy moly ...

I know Renny can get a little fiery, but all that security theater always seemed to be "over there" - someone else I've never really heard of.

But all this is starting to close the loop!

Fire up some of that creepy movie music!  :(

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2014, 06:29 PM »
I wasn't aware that Canada, or any of the other countries in INGSOC "the circle of eyes," should be any safer for domain registration. They all seem to dance to the tune of US cyber policy. And the UK has already wandered a lot further down the path of e-tyranny than the US has. (So far.)

I'd still feel more comfortable with a Canadian domain registrar.

Worth noting- even if you are on a non-US registrar, the big .com .net .org etc TLDs are still managed by US-owned Verisign, and through that route they can simply seize your domain name if you offend.

You need to go to one of the less common TLDs for your domain name with a non-US and prefferably Asian or middle eastern owned domain registration agency in order to avoid American bullying practices when it comes to domain and site seizures.

It's a .me domain, so... Montenegro. I'm not sure if it makes much of a difference though.

But really, the best DNS system out there that I'm aware of is .bit, i.e. Namecoin. While I don't have any .bit domains with live sites, I've been running a full Namecoin node for a long time, which helps support the network.

They didn't seize the domain name (cynic.me), but there's not much that I would put past them. Hence, I just want to get it as far away from any US jurisdiction as possible.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2014, 06:22 PM »
doteasy.com I used in the past. My experience was good but I eventually moved the domain in question to US based registrar.

Thanks for that recommendation. I did check them out and I emailed them. Unfortunately, in their TOS/TOC they require adherence to US laws. :( From an email I received (emphasis mine):

Thank you for your interest in our service. We are a 100% Canadian owned and operated company. Having said that, our service terms and conditions does require the use of our services to be in compliance with Canadian and US laws and the laws of your country at all times. You will need to ensure that the use of our service does not fall into our list of prohibited content/behavior. You can view our service terms and conditions using this link:

http://www.doteasy.c...nditions.cfm#conduct

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2014, 06:59 PM »
The .me registry is operated by doMEn ...

Do me in?

Sounds vaguely sinister  :P