topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 1:12 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Can't Capture FTL Screenshot When Full Screen is On  (Read 8719 times)

Lord Avalon

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Can't Capture FTL Screenshot When Full Screen is On
« on: November 04, 2014, 04:59 PM »
Hello. When the game FTL: Faster Than Light (ftlgame.com latest version) is full screen, Screenshot Captor (4.9.0 & .1) will not capture the game screen, but rather captures the desktop behind it. I tried various buttons + PrtSc to no avail (other than getting desktop of main monitor or both monitors).

(It does work when full screen is off, but I'd rather not have to go through the process of reducing the monitor resolution and hiding the taskbar before playing, and changing back when done.)

I am using Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. Any ideas why capture doesn't work in this case? It worked in Windows XP.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Can't Capture FTL Screenshot When Full Screen is On
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 05:15 PM »
hi,
this would be worth a try:

Try this:
Go to the options tab labeled "Window Capturing 1" and uncheck the box marked "Try to capture Aero Glass transparency effects".

See if that solves it.
Thank you for your answer. I found that one earlier but checked anyway.
Here are the results:
"Aero Gloss..." unchecked: black interior
Window capturing 2, first check box "Try to detect..." unchecked: black interior
Window capturing 2, below, "Do not try ..." checked: Well, folks, I can't believe it: regular screenshot of the whole window!!!!!!
Double checked with both items checked in window capturing 2: Also okay screenshot.
It looks very much like that option "Do not try to use PrtWindow() API ..." is the key, at least for my current problem.

You think it would help anybody else, maybe?
Tom

Lord Avalon

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 06:38 PM »
Thanks for your reply, tomos. Initially I had everything on Window Capturing 1 & 2 unchecked. I played around with many combinations of checked & unchecked on both tabs. I'm still getting the desktop, not the game.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 06:42 PM »
Does the FTL screen disapear briefly during the capture -- or does it remain onscreen at all times during the capture?

And to confirm -- you tried CHECKING the the "Do not try to use the PrintWindow" option (bottom of Window Capturing 2 tab) and then used alt+PrtScr to capture the active window?

Lord Avalon

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 07:52 PM »
Hi, mouser. The FTL screen disappears. More than briefly, because the "Show post-capture popup dialog" option is selected. I did not do what you suggested before, but I did just now and still get the desktop.

Is it because of the popup dialog box? I can't seem to deselect that (do I have to switch to admin account to do so?).

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2014, 08:29 PM »
Is it because of the popup dialog box? I can't seem to deselect that (do I have to switch to admin account to do so?).
i don't think the popup dialog can be causing the problem, but you could try turning it off by telling SC to stay minimized after capture; that option can be found in the tray, in the options dialog, or in the postcap dialog itself.
doing that is worth a try if only to get a proper answer to the question of whether the full screen FTL disapears briefly during capture.

Lord Avalon

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2014, 11:32 PM »
Well, staying minimized after capture had no effect - I'm still getting the desktop.

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2014, 03:33 AM »
Would trying a DirectX capture (my hotkey is set to Ctrl-Alt-Shift-X, and that's probably the SSC default) be able to help in this case? Games tend to use DirectX graphics quite often.

Lord Avalon

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2014, 09:52 AM »
I get "The DirectX Capture Addon was not found."

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2014, 09:57 AM »
I'm afraid that the DirectX addon for Screenshot Captor has been abandoned for now as being too unstable.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2014, 09:59 AM »
Is there no built-in screen capture function for FTL?
If you are doing something temporary that requires lots of screenshots from FTL, one thing you could try is to temporarily disable hardware acceleration for the monitor; that might enable you to capture screenshots from it using SC.  But you probably wouldn't want to leave that setting since it would negatively impact game performance.

Lord Avalon

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2014, 10:56 AM »
Is there no built-in screen capture function for FTL?
No.

If you are doing something temporary that requires lots of screenshots from FTL, one thing you could try is to temporarily disable hardware acceleration for the monitor; that might enable you to capture screenshots from it using SC.  But you probably wouldn't want to leave that setting since it would negatively impact game performance.

I don't take lots of screenshots. Only occasionally do I see something that I want to capture.