topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 12:05 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Ed Snowden Taught Me To Smuggle Secrets Past Incredible Danger. Now I Teach You.  (Read 4249 times)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
This is a kick-ass article.

https://firstlook.or...ing-snowden-secrets/

No quotes from it. It's just that good.

If you like spy-thriller novels, this is the real thing. You'll find it riveting.

If you are interested in security, at the end of the article the author posts a link for how to harden your security, protect privacy, and use strong encryption properly.

Enjoy!  :Thmbsup:
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 07:49 AM by mouser »

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I love the hashtag:
#HiNSA

I still idly daydream-giggle in some dystopian future that we'll all have our personal agent assigned to us and be on eerie-friends basis with them.

**IM from Jim@NSA** "Hi. You posted a document that we don't approve of. Would you please take it down? By the way, what toppings and crust style do you want on the pizza I just ordered for you? Cheers, your NSA rep Jim."

:o  ;D

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Just had to giggle that DC will now be indexed for the search terms "Smuggle Secrets" and "Incredible Danger" xD

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
http://www.bash.org/?88575

<Stormrider> I should bomb something
 <Stormrider> ...and it's off the cuff remarks like that that are the reason I don't log chats
 <Stormrider> Just in case the FBI ever needs anything on me
 <Elzie_Ann> I'm sure they can just get it from someone who DOES log chats.
 *** FBI has joined #gamecubecafe
 <FBI> We saw it anyway.
 *** FBI has quit IRC (Quit: )

;D

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Interesting article. It's got me following links like crazy and reading up on a bunch of things I've always had a passing interest in (cryptography) but never bothered to really look into.

I've finally looked up how to use PGP with email and got it all set up, but since I know absolutely nobody else who uses PGP for their email I can't even try it out. :)

I doubt anyone I know personally and could truly verify their identity (that they are who they say they are) could be bothered to go through the effort to set it up for themselves. They'd probably just look at me strangely and wonder what all the fuss was about.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 04:36 PM by Deozaan »

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I've finally looked up how to use PGP with email and got it all set up, but since I know absolutely nobody else who uses PGP for their email I can't even try it out. :)

Most people who would use PGP refuse to use it due to the overwhelming amount of (circumstantial) evidence that PGP has an NSA backdoor in it.

If you're going to use something like this, you may want to look into GPG (Gnu Privacy Guard). It's Open Source so not much chance of any backdoors being slipped in.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 04:36 PM by Deozaan, Reason: fixed formatting »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member

Most people who would use PGP refuse to use it due to the overwhelming amount of (circumstantial) evidence that PGP has an NSA backdoor in it.

If you're going to use something like this, you may want to look into GPG (Gnu Privacy Guard). It's Open Source so not much chance of any backdoors being slipped in.

I think I actually am using GPG. I'm using Thunderbird with Enigmail. The article I read about it said that GPG and PGP are used interchangeably, so I wasn't worried about using the correct one when talking/typing about it. But I guess I should make sure to use the right term after all.  :Thmbsup:
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 04:36 PM by Deozaan, Reason: fixed formatting »