topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:51 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Portatil to control a desktop pc  (Read 6177 times)

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Portatil to control a desktop pc
« on: October 18, 2014, 06:33 AM »
Portatil Acer Aspire 5738DZG
Desktop : processor intel i7 16 GB ram. Graphic Card CLUB 3D 9800GT
motherboard ASUS P7P55D EVO

Environment : the portatil goes up the cpu of the desktop. Desktop without monitor, keyboard or mouse.
The portatil must control the desktop using the portatil monitor, portatil keyboard, and portatil mouse.
I have a special cross RJ45 connection cable.

Is possible ?
Do you have real experience ?
What is the best full free program with forum for this purpose ?

Best Regards

edited : my operating system in both devices are : windows 7 -64  home premium edition. I have read i can't use the utility from microsoft in the os.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 07:54 AM by Contro, Reason: version of windows 7 home premium »

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Portatil to control a desktop pc
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 02:29 PM »
The RDP technology from Microsoft itself does exactly what you want to do.

Not available in the premium version of your OS? Microsoft sure is skimpy with features in a "premium" version of their OS. Hardly deserves that name then (in my book).

In case it isn't available, you can always use: VNC
ThightVNC is free, RealVNC is not. TightVNC will also do what you want.

Both RDP and VNC exist for a long time so you shouldn't encounter problems with either.
VNC will even work cross-platform, while RDP is a Windows-only solution.
RDP is slightly faster though. It can be because it doesn't allow more than one user to be connected that way, while VNC doesn't have that problem.

TeamViewer is also an option, but with that one I don't have any experience.

There are even more options if the desktop had a monitor of its own. Till now I have good experiences with Synergy Plus. That software allows you to share your mouse and keyboard between more than one computer.

*edit* changes after re-reading the post of the OP + some additions
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 02:43 PM by Shades »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2014, 03:16 PM »
TeamViewer :-* is incredibly easy to set up and a joy to use. So it's an excellent choice. But it's only free for personal use. Otherwise, it gets pricey.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2014, 03:20 PM »
You can install a Google Chrome Extension that will allow you to remote to your other devices.

It's also very useful to access your PC from an Android device.

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2014, 05:59 PM »
Synergy Plus. That software allows you to share your mouse and keyboard between more than one computer.

I think the remote desktop that comes with windows 7 i can't use with the home premium version. It for professiona, ultimate,....
So I have seen UltraVNC or TeamViewer.

I'll take a good look to Synergy Plus.

The other VNC going to see if they have forums....

UltraVNC has its own forum ...
 :-*
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 06:09 PM by Contro »

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2014, 06:02 PM »
TeamViewer :-* is incredibly easy to set up and a joy to use. So it's an excellent choice. But it's only free for personal use. Otherwise, it gets pricey.

I think for me is personal use. Always connecting the same pc's . Not for giving support.
In my case and don't need the internet connection.

Although i am thinking the possibility to install in samsung s4 and try.

:-\

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2014, 06:03 PM »
You can install a Google Chrome Extension that will allow you to remote to your other devices.

It's also very useful to access your PC from an Android device.

I have heard of this program. It's more recent than the others.

I'll take a good look
And comment.

I am almost decanted for UltraVNC and TeamViewer

Comments : is only for internet. The connection for the laptop and the pc is with a RJ45 cross cable.
May be an option for the samsung s4, but will be a third program....

« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 06:11 PM by Contro »

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2014, 06:13 PM »
Really i need synergy plus using UltraVNC or TeamViewer ?

What i really would like to know is if i need a bios modification for launching the desktop without keyboard or mouse attached, and no monitor....

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2014, 07:07 PM »

No. They have the same functionalities. Pick one. Using more than one can cause all kinds of weird problems since they all access mostly the same interrupts. If this is all for for personal use, go with TeamViewer. It's the easiest to set up, has virtually no reliability issues, is fast, and deals with slow connection speeds really well. TeamViewer is one of the top apps used by tech support people to provide remote customer assistance.

If you like to tinker, go with VNC or Synergy.

What i really would like to know is if i need a bios modification for launching the desktop without keyboard or mouse attached, and no monitor....

You can disable the "check for keyboard on startup" in most BIOS settings these days. Just go into the BIOS setup screen (hit F2 or whatever your BIOS uses) and poke around. It'll be in there somewhere. You can also disable onboard video if you want. If you don't want to use a mouse, just don't plug one in. They're mostly USB these days, and there's no point in disabling USB ports just to not use a mouse. Running a PC in a 'headless' configuration is no big deal these days. However...if for some reason your remote connection fails, disabling too much can make it difficult to get back into the PC to troubleshoot things afterwards.

8)

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2014, 07:29 PM »

No. They have the same functionalities. Pick one. Using more than one can cause all kinds of weird problems since they all access mostly the same interrupts. If this is all for for personal use, go with TeamViewer. It's the easiest to set up, has virtually no reliability issues, is fast, and deals with slow connection speeds really well. TeamViewer is one of the top apps used by tech support people to provide remote customer assistance.

If you like to tinker, go with VNC or Synergy.

You can disable the "check for keyboard on startup" in most BIOS settings these days. Just go into the BIOS setup screen (hit F2 or whatever your BIOS uses) and poke around. It'll be in there somewhere. You can also disable onboard video if you want. If you don't want to use a mouse, just don't plug one in. They're mostly USB these days, and there's no point in disabling USB ports just to not use a mouse. Running a PC in a 'headless' configuration is no big deal these days. However...if for some reason your remote connection fails, disabling too much can make it difficult to get back into the PC to troubleshoot things afterwards.

8)

Really clear. Thanks very much. Team Viewer adopted and suplented by ultraVPC. Synergy discarded.

;D

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2014, 01:09 AM »
Synergy isn't a remote desktop per se, it's more like a software KVM.  Using VNC, RDP or Teamviewer, you can view and control the desktop of a 'headless' computer (no mouse, keyboard or monitor).  With Synergy, additional computers running side-by-side can be controlled from a 'master' as easily as if they were simply additional monitors.

My son demonstrated it this way: He has a Dell laptop with an Intel graphics chip that he uses for playing music, and a HP laptop with a decent AMD 3D graphics chip for projecting visuals via a projector as a 2nd monitor.  With both laptops open and running next to each other, he can just slide the mouse over from the Dell screen, the pointer appears at the HP screen, and he's controlling it seamlessly; he never has to physically move to the other laptop keyboard and touchpad.

Can one set up Teamviewer so the 'remote' computer doesn't have to give permission to connect?  That's one drawback I can see.  With RDP or VNC, it can be set up to run on startup and 'listen' for a connection.

BTW - my preference is for TigerVNC -> http://tigervnc.org/  :Thmbsup:

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2014, 06:00 AM »
Teamviewer can be setup as a background process that listens for and accepts an authorized remote connection request.

FWIW, I always liked the way Synergy works. The only problem is I could never get it to work reliably on my machines for any length of time. Sometimes it would, sometimes it wouldn't. I gave up after a while. You may have better luck.