topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 4:41 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: NaNoWriMo Scrivener Offer  (Read 8353 times)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
NaNoWriMo Scrivener Offer
« on: October 08, 2014, 09:54 AM »
From now until December 7th, use Scrivener for free.

NaNoWriMo 2014 Trial - for Mac and Windows
Scrivener's first users were Wrimos - I posted an early beta of Scrivener for the Mac on the NaNo Technology forums back in 2005, and those initial users kindly spread the word about Scrivener and provided feedback that has helped shape and improve the program. It has therefore been our great pleasure to give something back by sponsoring NaNoWriMo for the past few years, and so here we are sponsoring NaNoWriMo 2014, with some great offers for those taking part. We're also offering a special trial version that will last you all the way throughout November, even if you've tried Scrivener before - read on for details.

Special Trial Version
Scrivener's trial normally runs for thirty days of use, but so that you can start using Scrivener before NaNoWriMo begins without worrying about the trial expiring part-way through November, the special NaNo trial available on this page will run from the moment you start using it all the way up until 7th December. So you can download it, get used to its features, use it for your writing throughout November, and if you like it you can buy Scrivener at a discounted price using one of the special offers below.

50% Discount for All NaNoWriMo 2014 Winners
If you achieve your personal target to become a NaNoWriMo 2014 Winner, you will be eligible for a 50% discount off the regular licence of Scrivener (which is normally $45 for the Mac version and $40 for the Windows version). Details will appear on the Winner Goodies page at the start of December.

20% Discount for Everyone Else
Even if you don't reach your target this year, you can still get 20% off the regular price of Scrivener by entering the discount code NANOWRIMO into the coupon code text field of our online web store.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: NaNoWriMo Scrivener Offer
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 01:34 PM »
Nice.

Anyone here doing NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month)?  I know a couple of DC folks have in the past.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 02:16 PM »
I am, as usual :)  Have one story that I need to finish for a submission, then I'm going to start outlining what I'm going to do.  As usual, mine will probably be a rebel project- more specifically a game for NaGaDeMon.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 02:25 PM by wraith808 »

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 05:52 PM »
This might be heresy in this thread since it has nothing to do with writing novels, but when I look at the webpage for Scrivener, it looks like it might be a good general purpose note taking tool.  Maybe even a task manager (index cards on a bulletin board is a pretty good real-world way to manage tasks).

Is anyone using it like this (or tried and failed) that can give some opinions?

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2014, 07:52 PM »
A few articles on it:

http://michaelhyatt....ed-to-scrivener.html
http://welcometosher...ner-as-a-note-taker/
http://pauljmiller.w...note-taking-program/

Personally, I use Evernote for such things as it has built in syncing.  But I can see the appeal.

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 12:33 AM »
Thanks for those links.  It looks very interesting. I don't think it'll replace Surfulater as my keeper of my universe of random bits of information, but I think Scrivener has a good chance at managing the various assortment of artifacts related to work projects.

I think I'll give it a go during the extended trial period they're offering now.

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 12:36 AM »
I seem to remember some discussion about the Windows version of Scrievener being left behind feature-wise compared to the Mac version?

(I am sure it's still great, I was just wondering if this was still the case)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 01:09 AM by Jibz »

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2014, 01:16 AM »
I seem to remember some discussion about the Windows version of Scrievener being left behind feature-wise compared to the Mac version?

List of differences: http://www.literatur...php?f=30&t=16056

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2014, 07:41 AM »
Strange... I use the Windows and Mac versions, and I haven't noticed any(?) of those feature differences in use.  The one I'd possibly use (the corkboard one) I'd just assumed wasn't possible, so hadn't even tried- I just use it to keep bits from the folder that it represents in a visual manner.