topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:06 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Windows 10 Announced  (Read 684430 times)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Windows 10 Announced
« Reply #750 on: February 10, 2016, 02:12 PM »
I'm going to wait till about one week shy of the last day I can get it for free and then upgrade the one Windows machine I still have left in the house.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Microsoft:

It's hasn't been that great all these years we've had together. And it certainly hasn't been fun. But it seems we're still gonna be stuck with each other for some things. So lets just deal with those things as they come up, and go our separate ways the rest of the time ok?

No hard feelings. In fact, no feelings - of any kind - at all.

I'd like to say it's been real. But you know how it goes.

Sincerely,

-40Hz.

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #751 on: March 01, 2016, 04:50 PM »
Win 10 update 3_1.jpgWindows 10 Announced

Another day, another update.  What would have made this one surreal is to have gotten it yesterday on Feb. 29.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #752 on: March 01, 2016, 07:53 PM »
[ Invalid Attachment ]

Another day, another update.  What would have made this one surreal is to have gotten it yesterday on Feb. 29.

It must be like Wimpy from the Popeye cartoon.  Payoffs are only on Tuesdays.  :D

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #753 on: March 02, 2016, 01:06 AM »
This tiny computer could help run your smart home.jpgWindows 10 Announced

This tiny computer could help run your smart home

Anyone here with a Pi going to upgrade to a 3 or are you waiting for the 3.14159 version?

Microsoft's Edge and IE browsers are being abandoned by users, to Google's benefit.jpgWindows 10 Announced

Microsoft's Edge and IE browsers are being abandoned by users, to Google's benefit  PCWorld

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #754 on: March 05, 2016, 09:50 PM »

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #755 on: March 09, 2016, 04:32 PM »
Win 10 3-8-16.jpgWindows 10 Announced

The latest blue smoke from Microsoft.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #756 on: March 10, 2016, 03:45 AM »
A very dear friend of mine died prematurely of cancer a while back, and left me his two laptops for my children to use:
  • Compaq Presario CQ61 (32-bit) with Windows 7 Home Premium with 1x2Gb RAM
  • HP Mini 110-3500 (Intel Atom CPU, 32-bit) small netbook-type laptop with Windows 7 Starter with 1x1Gb RAM

I beefed up the 1x2Gb RAM in the Compaq by the addition an extra 1x1Gb RAM in the 2nd (empty) RAM slot. That made it 3Gb in total and it ran much better. I shall eventually replace that with 1x2Gb RAM, making 4Gb in total.
I beefed up the RAM in the HP Mini by replacing the 1x1Gb RAM with 1x2Gb RAM (it only has the one RAM slot). It ran incredibly slowly before the RAM upgrade, and reasonably well after the upgrade. It's OK, but a bit slow.

I then ran all the updates for the Win7 OS on each laptop. They had not been updated for about a year, so it took a while.
Eventually The Win10 update adverts started on the Compaq, but not on the HP Mini, so I guess the latter can't support Win10, so it's stuck with Win7 Starter.

Before I allow the Win10 update to install on the Compaq, I thought I'd ask members on this forum of their experiences with making that change.
Was it worth making the change from Win7 to Win10?
As it stands, the Compaq runs very nicely under Win7 HP, even before the last extra 1Gb RAM has been added.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 03:56 AM by IainB »

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #757 on: March 10, 2016, 05:33 AM »
Before I allow the Win10 update to install on the Compaq, I thought I'd ask members on this forum of their experiences with making that change.
As it stands, the Compaq runs very nicely under Win7 HP, even before the last extra 1Gb RAM has been added.
I'd suggest to take the plunge, and see how performance holds up after the upgrade. If it's too poor, you can always revert within the first 30 days.
Do make a proper disk-image backup before starting ofc. but you knew that already :up:

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #758 on: March 10, 2016, 01:38 PM »
Piece
I thought I'd ask members on this forum of their experiences with making that change.
Assuming you're okay with allowing or thwarting the Google-y phone-home stuff…

Mine were all in-place "upgrades" because I'm lazy and didn't want to mess around with a slew of Adobe CS and other licenses.
All of the machines run Pro versions of Windows.

Piece of cake on a relatively simple x32 (but x64 capable machine that stayed x32 for the time being). It was running 7, then 8.1, now 10.
The main requirement was that it look and behave like XP, which it does after a minimum of tweaking.
The machine has only 2GB RAM and seems to run slightly better than under 8.1.

Mild aggravation on a x64 machine with a ton of software. Nothing that couldn't be overcome by knocking out some security stuff and a couple of other pieces. W10 completely screwed up the reversion process. I tried that only to see what it could do. I have adequate backups, so I didn't much care. This one certainly runs okay but I don't think it runs better than it did with 8.1.

Serious aggravation on my own machine, to the point where I figured that only a clean installation would suffice.
Just before going to a clean installation I had one more go at an in-place upgrade. First, I uninstalled or disabled quite a bit of additional stuff.
That one worked but, by the time I got round to it, I was using a later release than I had been previously.
That machine runs perfectly well under W10 even after my bringing back all of the stuff that I had 'turned off'.

My main purpose in upgrading two of the three machines was to save myself the bother of remembering the ins and outs of different O/S versions. All in all I'd say that making the change was worth it to me for the small increments in security and, in one case, performance.

If you hope to exceed the display options provided by Microsoft, do make sure that you first collect video drivers that will work with your machines under W10. It sounds as if that won't be a problem with the machines that you described. With the computers you mentioned I believe that updates will be forced down your throat. I wouldn't consider allowing that unless there were scrupulously maintained backups. Several of those updates have caused me some grief (probably due to lingering issues deriving from in-place upgrades).

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #759 on: March 10, 2016, 02:56 PM »
Windows 10 isn't perfect, but all-in-all, I generally find it to be a nice upgrade from Windows 7. (I skipped Windows 8 completely.)

That said, Windows 7 is a nice OS. Stick with it if you're happy with it.

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #760 on: March 17, 2016, 06:36 AM »
Lenovo demands Microsoft extend Skylake Windows 7 support | Network World

As part of its Windows 10 push, Microsoft declared it will end support for Windows 7 and 8.1 on Skylake processors, on July 17, 2017, three years before the official end of support for Windows 7. This ruffled a few feathers when it was first announced, and now it's drawn the ire of Microsoft's biggest OEM.

(...)

I have to suspect that HP and Dell are also facing the same issue. Now that it's in the open, Microsoft might find it harder to resist, especially if the three OEMs link arms and stand together on this.

There is no reason for Microsoft to end the support early other than to drive Windows 10 adoption. And while enterprises have a high rate of interest in Windows 10, there are still many that are not ready to move for whatever reason, and their hand should not be forced.

xtabber

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #761 on: March 18, 2016, 03:48 PM »
Microsoft seems to have caved in to the OEMs on this one. As Ars Technica reported today:

Perhaps unsurprisingly, this has resulted in some pushback from enterprises, and Microsoft has shifted its policy in response. The window for compatibility, reliability, and security fixes has been extended by a year to July 17, 2018. The limitations on security fixes have also been removed; now all security fixes will be made available—until January 14, 2020 for Windows 7 and January 10, 2023 for Windows 8.1.

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #762 on: March 19, 2016, 09:34 PM »
Microsoft seems to have caved in to the OEMs on this one.

But will Microsoft turn evil in response and create a black lab for Windows 7 & 8 malware? Who would be in a better position to create an insecurity update to make your OS neurotic?  ;)

Samsung Overly Attached Computer - YouTube

« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 11:06 PM by Arizona Hot »

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #763 on: March 25, 2016, 09:34 PM »
Does anyone here think the new File Explorer is an improvement on Windows Explorer? I had to reboot the computer to get the navigation pane to show the file tree when I first used it.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #764 on: April 02, 2016, 03:21 AM »
I was trying to figure out how we could get back the Briefcase functionality in Win10.
There are discussions and Registry hack solutions for Win7 and Win8, but not proven for Win10 - for example:
Interestingly, as someone comments in the latter item:
"...how Microsoft makes up words,  or changes the meaning of words to mean something completely different than common usage.   Instead of saying we (Microsoft) got rid of briefcase because we want to force users to use the cloud and eventually pay for storage, we deprecated (sounds nicer though) it."

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #765 on: April 03, 2016, 10:15 PM »
Win 10 minus sign.jpg

If your desktop icons have a minus sign attached, this means that Quiet Hours is activated. You can turn this off by right-clicking the Notifications icon and clicking the Quiet Hours menu item.

Notifications.jpg     Quiet hours.jpgWindows 10 Announced

Quiet Hours - Turn On or Off in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 10:21 PM by Arizona Hot »

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #766 on: April 12, 2016, 06:48 AM »
Just in case anyone else is having fun with the Windows 10 start menu disappearing periodically I'll stick this here. I never did find a specific trigger, but periodically the Action Center, Taskbar context menus, and start menu would all become completely unresponsive. Everything else worked fine...just those stopped working ... And that got annoying really (really...) fast.

The commands I found online that were supposed to fix it and their results are below:
1.   SFC /SCANNOW    -This one found and corrected some issues but ultimately had no effect.
2.   DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth    -This one did - best I could tell - do nothing.
3.   Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}    -This one finally got things moving again as all of the aforementioned problem children suddenly decided to spring into view about 2/3 of the way through its run. 24 hours later the machine is still behaving ... But time will tell.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #767 on: April 12, 2016, 05:01 PM »
Just in case anyone else is having fun with the Windows 10 start menu disappearing periodically I'll stick this here. I never did find a specific trigger, but periodically the Action Center, Taskbar context menus, and start menu would all become completely unresponsive. Everything else worked fine...just those stopped working ... And that got annoying really (really...) fast.

The commands I found online that were supposed to fix it and their results are below:
1.   SFC /SCANNOW    -This one found and corrected some issues but ultimately had no effect.
2.   DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth    -This one did - best I could tell - do nothing.
3.   Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}    -This one finally got things moving again as all of the aforementioned problem children suddenly decided to spring into view about 2/3 of the way through its run. 24 hours later the machine is still behaving ... But time will tell.

This is definitely useful.

I posted about a similar issue in the Windows 10 Tips thread.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #768 on: April 13, 2016, 07:04 AM »

Oh that's where that went ... Crap! I knew I'd seen it somewhere around here but couldn't fine it again.

Reeally annoying issue ain't it?

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #769 on: April 13, 2016, 11:32 AM »
Win 10 update 04-13-16.jpgWindows 10 Announced

The version of the latest Win 10 update and an error message from a version that MS is working on.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #770 on: April 13, 2016, 01:32 PM »

Oh that's where that went ... Crap! I knew I'd seen it somewhere around here but couldn't fine it again.

Yes. I know someone who encountered that issue but nothing we tried would solve it. Even doing a system reset only "fixed" it for about 24 hours before it started up again. I just helped them reinstall Windows 7.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #771 on: April 19, 2016, 11:44 AM »

Yes. I know someone who encountered that issue but nothing we tried would solve it. Even doing a system reset only "fixed" it for about 24 hours before it started up again. I just helped them reinstall Windows 7.

So on that vein, here's a really new wrinkle - The Windows Firewall...is killing the Start Menu.

Best I can tell - and I'm guessing - If you have the Windows Firewall disabled during the Windows 10 upgrade, it's behavior become erratic at best. Because even with the service stopped and disabled, it will continue to block ports on the machine in a rather chaotically random fashion.

So you're probably wondering WTF?

So were we for the past two days. We had upgraded a customers network to Windows 10 last Friday and everything seemed to go fine ... Until Monday morning. Then all hell broke loose as the machines all started to randomly clench for no obvious reason and refuse to communicate with anything. Which is a real bitch when you're trying to work on something remotely btw..

After a myriad of reboots we finally managed to hammer our way into one of the more finicky machines, and there was our little friend the ultra shy Start menu. Multiple laps through the popular four available repair steps were to absolutely no avail. So finally the guy that works with me - who was working on the machine - decides on a lark to enable and start the Windows Firewall service ... And up pops the freaking Start Menu.

Only guess I can make is that some of the "Live Tile" Metro apps displayed in the Start Menu are holding up the show because the Firewall is blocking their attempt to update before being displayed. And the correlation is going completely unnoticed because the firewall is - or at least is supposed to be - inactive.

Now ain't that some shit?

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #772 on: April 19, 2016, 12:34 PM »
^Bizarro Firewall kills Start Menu behavior has now been confirmed on four different machines at that location.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #773 on: April 19, 2016, 11:56 PM »
^Bizarro Firewall kills Start Menu behavior has now been confirmed on four different machines at that location.

You should report that in Windows Feedback so that it can be fixed!

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #774 on: April 20, 2016, 04:42 PM »

You should report that in Windows Feedback so that it can be fixed!

Fixed?  MS don't do no stinkin' fixing.  They just issue another OS with a higher number.