topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:32 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Looking for desktop calendar software that can sync with Google Calendar  (Read 23022 times)

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
I used to sync my Google Calendar to MS Outlook on my desktop, for the purpose of backing it up and archiving it, and to have a copy that I could search offline. Unfortunately, Google have discontinued the Google Calendar Sync utility for Outlook, so I lost that option.

My criteria are the following:
- desktop software for Win 7, 64 bit
- can sync automatically, in the background, at regular intervals (at least daily).
- has search function.
- ideally there would be the option to specify which way the sync goes (I'd mainly just want from Google to desktop, not the other way back)
- it's mostly for archive, backup, and search purposes, so I wouldn't be using it as a main interface (doesn't need to be pretty).
-  I could use it occasionally for planning for some one-off projects that I wouldn't want to sync back to Google Calendar.
- Don't need full PIM.

Would be grateful for any suggestions.

y2kusuma

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Not a desktop software, gSyncit is a Microsoft Outlook add-in that sync Outlook with Google account.

kunkel321

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
gSyncit does look pretty cool.

Another option worth mentioning is Pimlical.
http://www.pimlicosoftware.com/
It's a Java based app. Very capable.
There's an Android version too, though--frustratingly--it don't sync well with the Kindle Fire HD.

It has a feature-rich sync ability for Google Calendar. 
And the proceeds go to a Gorilla Conservation effort.
http://www.dewarwildlife.org/
 :)

LM7

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Vueminder Calendar - http://www.vueminder.com/ - terrific program!

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I think EssentialPIM (EPIM) can do what you want, though you might need their Supplementary Apps EPIM Synchronizer.  However, it's a full PIM, so might be more than you want.  At least there's a free version to try.

As I recall it, cranioscopical is a big fan of VueMinder.  You might try searching DC for earlier posts.

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I switched to simply using google calendar in the browser, because of all the programs I tried, it had the best sync with google calendar ;D.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Rainlendar should work; you'd need the Pro version, but it's under $15 at the time of writing.

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
I switched to simply using google calendar in the browser, because of all the programs I tried, it had the best sync with google calendar ;D.

Google Calendar is my main calendar too. However, I want to be able to back up my data regularly offline, as that is the only way to ensure I will have access to that data in the future, should Google change its policies or disappear off the face of the earth (however unlikely that may sound).

I'm already having trouble using the historical data. When I do a search on Google Calendar, it tells me there are 18 results for the particular search term, but it only shows me 6 of them, with no obvious pointer as to how to find the other (presumably older) 12 results. So it is already trying to limit my use of my own data...

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I just recently started using eM Client, and I am really liking it. It's a nice Outlook replacement. The calendar handles events with a date range better than anything else I have tried. (doesn't split where they overlap).  :-*

The free version can sync with up to 2 accounts, and it supports Google Apps (Gmail, calendar, contacts, GTalk).

Pro version, if you want to use it with more than 2 accounts, is $49.95. ($99.95 if you want lifetime upgrades)

It can be configured to display just the calendar (right click and uncheck anything you don't plan on using).

It can also be used with local folders, to set up calendars that don't sync with anywhere. (which is how I am using it)

It has Backup/Restore and Import/Export features, too, although I don't know how much (if any) google data can be backed up or exported. (I am using it with local folders only)

It might be worth it to you to give it a test.

xtabber

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
If you want to keep Outlook on the desktop, CompanionLink will do what you want at least as well as Google Sync.  Until a couple of years ago, I used Outlook as a PIM (I never used it for email) and found CompanionLink much better than Google Sync.

Since ditching Outlook, I have used EssentialPIM as a desktop client to keep a local copy of my Google calendar and contacts.  It's a solid program with a few infuriating design quirks, in particular, in how it handles multiple Google calendars.  I have also had occasional problems with synching complex situations, such as recurring events that have been modified both locally and on Google since the last sync.

I recently started using EMclient for its calendar and found it to handle Google synchronization much better than EPIM, but as a desktop client it is nowhere near as sophisticated. 

EPIM can be installed as a portable app and uses a single database file.  You can have as many databases as you want and put them where you want on your system.  You can specify when and where you want backup files created.  This makes it really easy to keep archives and to recover from problems.  It has a Year calendar view that I find useful for finding past events quickly and it seems to have no problem keeping data going back 3 or more years.

EMclient appears to use multiple files and provides no flexibility in where anything is located. While they do provide for automatic backups and export to iCAL or text files, they provide no information about what is what or where they put it, which makes me reluctant to trust them for archival purposes.  While the EMclient calendar is nicely done, the contacts module is, IMHO, too primitive to be useful.

When I get a chance, I'll probably give Vueminder a try.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Looking for desktop calendar software that can sync with Google Calendar
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2014, 10:31 PM »
-LM7

+1
There's a 'lite' free version to try.

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2014, 11:17 PM »
Not exactly OP's criteria but .... something a bit different, I have installed WordPress locally, using P2 theme and a calendar plugin. Works well for me and I may stick to it. I can be a bit more detailed if anybody is interested  :)

phitsc

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2014, 02:39 AM »
I've been using gSyncit mentioned above to sync google calendar with Outlook for years. It's working really well and I would recommend it. Updates come fairly regularly (mostly bugfixes).

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2014, 08:08 AM »
I tried eMClient. It looks nice but I couldn't find a way to search the database of events. Also, I was a bit surprised that after I changed the theme colour in eMClient on the desktop, it also replaced the default event colour in Google Calendar (without asking for permission and warning that it's going to happen). It's a actually a nice feature for someone who does want to change the Google Cal default event colour in one go, I just wished there was a bit of a warning, as I already use colours to differentiate between types of events.

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2014, 09:14 AM »
I have EPIM & eMClient (Pro versions) running all the time (use them for different things, but also as an extra form of email backup on my computer).
But, for a calendar, I only use Vueminder synchronising with Google. Far too many options that I use to consider switching away from it. It must be the best windows calendar atm. I can't remember the last time I entered something into Google Calendar directly.

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2014, 06:46 PM »
Another option worth mentioning is Pimlical.
http://www.pimlicosoftware.com/
It's a Java based app. Very capable.

Thanks for the reminder. I have looked at Pimlical in the past, but apparently not carefully enough. The amount of options is pretty amazing (and possibly overwhelming...). And I suspect not many are going to beat its "Advanced Find"  ;)

Selected Filter_ Default.pngLooking for desktop calendar software that can sync with Google Calendar

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2014, 07:23 AM »
-LM7

+1
There's a 'lite' free version to try.

VueMinder Lite would have been ideal, as it's free, and only syncs one way with Google Calendar, which is what I want. But I'm having trouble with its syncing. When I click on "Sync Now", it would say "Syncing, you'll see your events in a few seconds", but then nothing happens. I had 0 events displayed in all the calendars for hours yesterday.

Eventually the synced events did show up this morning, when I restarted the app. I had around 3000 events synced in the main account. Then it started showing me hundreds of pop-up reminders. When I started closing them down, the app crashed. When I restarted it, all the synced data was gone, and there was nothing in the automatic backup. ( Since then I've changed the automatic backup settings to back up every 10 min., rather than the 8 hrs default, which failed to back it up.)

Now I tried syncing again, but I still have only 0 events, even though occasionally it says it's synchronising. Also, I unselected "Include reminders" in the sync settings, to avoid the hundreds of reminder pop-ups, but when I checked again, the app automatically re-ticked the box. Anyway, this does not encourage me to upgrade to the paid version at the moment, as it doesn't seem entirely reliable. Otherwise it does look nice and it would fit most of my criteria.

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2014, 08:35 AM »
You should try contacting them, I remember from back when I used VueMinder that they had really good support.

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2014, 12:26 PM »
Thanks, in the meantime I managed to complete the sync. Maybe my system is just too old, as the app would hang often (Not responding), and my PC has a hard time dealing with the mass of reminders.

There is a lot to like about VueMinder, but I'm finding the Search function rather limited. It only seems to be able to display search results one at a time, incrementally, jumping to the next one in chronological order, without showing how many there are or how far they stretch back in time.

I think I may have to bite the bullet and read through Pimlical's 100-page manual, as I'm drawn to its elaborate search tool, and its other advanced features.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions.

kenmuse

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
GO Contact Sync Mod is free and will now sync Outlook with Google calendar in Gmail.  It now sinks calendar, notes and contacts.  I have been using it to sink to my Gmail calendar, notes (in contacts) and contacts and gmail then sinks to my Android tablet Calendar and People and other apps that sync with them.  It has some basic controls like - which will win in a merge and will prompt you if set.  Caution when starting trust either Gmail or Outlook as the accurate source and copy all to the other until you are sure it is accurate - also before you start make a backup of your contacts just in case.  You can get it at http://googlesyncmod.sourceforge.net/