topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:12 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Your favorite podcasts?  (Read 20997 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Your favorite podcasts?
« on: September 04, 2014, 05:23 PM »
I have seen Marc Maron on tv a few times and have never been a fan, but a friend recently turned me on to his podcast around the time that Robin Williams died (he had a pretty heavy interview with Robin Williams).

He has now done more than 500 podcasts -- which are 30-60 minutes in length and are mostly just one on one interviews with someone in comedy or music business.  I've been really impressed with them -- they are adult discussions, at times funny, sad, vulnerable, deep, etc.

Most of the podcasts are surprisingly deep and frank discussions with comedians, moving between discussions of personal struggles, work ethic, and the theory of comedy.  Really fascinating stuff.

Screenshot - 9_4_2014 , 5_19_09 PM.png

http://www.wtfpod.com/

Highly recommended.  What other podcasts do you guys listen to?

« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 06:38 AM by mouser »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Your favorite podcasts?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 06:34 PM »
Mostly lit and sci-fi audio stories for me:

Escape Pod

Escape Pod is the premier science fiction podcast magazine. Every week we bring you short stories from some of today’s best science fiction stories, in convenient audio format for your computer or MP3 player.

We pay our authors, but we will always be 100% free. We are supported through listener donations and sponsorship, so if you like what you hear, please consider donating via our PayPal button!

Escape Pod is produced and distributed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Clark's World Magazine

The Clarkesworld Podcast features all of our fiction in audio form. Each episode is hosted by Kate Baker and features an original story from our current issue. By visiting this page, you can sign up to have each episode sent to you via iTunes or email. If you use Stitcher, you can find us here. Best of all, we offer this service completely free of charge.
Episode Schedule

A new episode is added to our site on the 1st, 7th, 14th, 21st and 28th of each month.
Prior Episodes

A complete archive of all our podcasts is available here. You can listen to them at any time.

The Drabblecast

The Drabblecast is a weekly podcast featuring flash fictions from a variety of genres. Its singular message is that of off beat, funny, eclecticism. It is a paying fiction market, accepting submissions (see the submissions page for more information). The Drabblecast is the winner of the 2010, 2011 and 2012 Parsec Awards for Best Speculative Fiction Audio Magazine.

PodCastle

Fantasy fiction. Some R-rated.

Pseudopod

Welcome to Pseudopod!

You’ve found the world’s premier horror fiction podcast. Pseudopod brings you the best short horror in audio form, to take with you anywhere.

WARNING: This is a podcast of horror fiction. The stories presented here are intended to disturb. They are likely to contain death, graphic violence, explicit sex (including sexual violence), hate crimes, blasphemy, or other themes and images that hook deep into your psyche. We do not provide ratings or content warnings. We assume by your listening that you wish to be disturbed for your entertainment. If there are any themes that you cannot deal with in fiction, that are too strongly personal to you, please do not listen.

Pseudopod is for mature audiences only. Hardly any story on Pseudopod is suitable for children. We mean this very seriously.

Tor.com Audio: Fiction with Mur Lafferty

For over a year, Tor.com has brought you excellent short fiction on our site, but now, podnovelist extraordinaire Mur Lafferty is making the audio of these stories available to you in podcast form. We’ll be bringing you both new fiction and our archived stories, so don’t worry if you’ve missed anything archived on the site. The podcast will also include mention of the recent topics on the Tor.com blog, convention reports, and interviews from time to time.

There's many more podcasts I regularly follow. But these will do for a start.

Oh yes....one more...

If you're a Blues fan, The Roadhouse  :-* ("The finest blues you never heard.") is a must listen. Straight blues, blues-rock, roots, Chicago-style...this podcast covers it all. Something for everyone.

The Roadhouse is a true labor of love, intended to present the full range of blues music to a broad Internet audience.

I’ve often heard folks who are unfamiliar with blues note that it’s “such simple music.” Indeed, it is. But the range of blues styles is breathtaking. From the Delta to Chicago, from pre-war to jump, acoustic, electric, harps, horns – it’s difficult, if not impossible, to describe the emotions conveyed with such a simple form. Blues music is, in my mind, that last great act of defiance; a declaration to the world that, “You gave me your toughest shot and, yes, I’m still standing.” Blues lovers everywhere understand.

With that in mind, I’m dedicated, via The Roadhouse, to preserving this priceless musical form, to presenting a broad range of blues each week (much of it by artists that even hardcore blues fans may not be aware of), and to promoting gleeful chair-dancing with each and every show.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 10:24 PM »
Years ago I used to listen to Twit & Security Now, Scott Hanselman's podcast (now much expanded), and The Project Studio Network (now defunct) regularly.

My current favourites are (top 3 are my top favs):

They all have Youtube channels as that's much easier to deal with - I don't need to download anything and I can play it on my tablet in the kitchen while cooking/cleaning or whatever.

I tend to grab random podcasts when they have some guests on their shows that I like. e.g. Tom Woods had Larken Rose on, and I found that his show was so good that I kept it on as one of the main shows I listen to. If you like really, truly in-depth history, economics, theory, etc., with expert guests, you might like The Tom Woods Show -- that's what I liked - great experts on focused topics, and Tom is just a brilliant interviewer - one of the best I've heard (yes - much better than Larry King or Amy Goodman).

But, finding podcasts by searching for guests tends to be a good way to find new ones from my own experience.

Probably not that many people would be interested in them, so I'm not bothering with descriptions. The acid test would be to check the Anarchast intro - if you like that, then you'd like a lot of the other stuff. Otherwise, feel free to call me batshit crazy. :P 8)

There are a lot of irregular shows that I watch/listen to as well. All the agricultural ones that I subscribe to are like that.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

eleman

• Spam Killer
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 02:38 AM »
Here are my favorites:

Australian BC's Big Ideas:
Big Ideas brings you the best of talks, forums, debates, and festivals held in Australia and around the world, casting light on the major social, cultural, scientific and political issues.

British BC's documentaries:
An indepth look at stories and issues from around the world.

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 08:13 AM »
Mostly lit and sci-fi audio stories for me:

Thanks! I've been looking for something to fill the gap since I finished We're Alive and Leviathan Wakes.

My most listened to podcasts is Euphonic Sessions with Kyau & Albert - Nice and LONG trance play lists, for those long runs.

I really enjoy a number of NPR podcasts, favorites are Wits (comedy) and Radio Lab.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 08:26 AM »
My most listened to podcasts is Euphonic Sessions with Kyau & Albert - Nice and LONG trance play lists, for those long runs.

Ah! I'll need to check that out. I used to listen to a lot of Armin Van Buren and Phil somethingsomething (forget at the moment).

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2014, 08:49 AM »

Ah! I'll need to check that out. I used to listen to a lot of Armin Van Buren and Phil somethingsomething (forget at the moment).

Definitely check out Euphonic Sessions, you won't regret it. While A State of Trance is great, ES is by far my favorite. Paul Van Dyks podcast is pretty good too. Get back to me on this Phil guy...

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2014, 09:11 AM »
Definitely check out Euphonic Sessions, you won't regret it. While A State of Trance is great, ES is by far my favorite. Paul Van Dyks podcast is pretty good too. Get back to me on this Phil guy...

That was it! Paul Van Dyk! It's been a while. :)

One of the nice things about those kinds of podcasts is that you can listen to them over and over. Heck, I couldn't count how many times I listened to this - 8 hours long - used to listen to it while working.

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2014, 03:43 AM »
I'm a regular listener of Group Therapy with Above & Beyond (previously Trance Around The World) - I try and download the split versions and keep the tracks I like. I don't have words to express the amazing, positive impact this show has to my life. Not even being dramatic.  ;D

A couple of other podcasts I've been meaning to get into (but haven't had the time to) are hosted by two of my all time fav trance producers, Jaytech (Jaytech Music Podcast) and Chicane (Sun:Sets). I love most of their own stuff so I have a good feeling about the podcasts. I'm more into vocal/melodic and can't really get into the slightly more hardcore(?) stuff producers like Van Buuren put out. Been listening to electronic music for as long as I can remember but all the sub and sub-sub-genres still have me at a complete loss.  ;D :-[
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 03:50 AM by nosh »

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2014, 07:57 AM »
I'm a regular listener of Group Therapy with Above & Beyond (previously Trance Around The World) - I try and download the split versions and keep the tracks I like. I don't have words to express the amazing, positive impact this show has to my life. Not even being dramatic.  ;D

I'm excited to add this to my queue for today's run, thanks!

Jahandar

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2014, 11:41 AM »
More of a lurker, but I enjoy this topic :)
Didn't realize Reason TV had a podcast, thanks for sharing that one. I'll check it out!

Tech
http://www.dailytechnewsshow.com/ - Great overview of the daily tech news... in a show. (the usual host is out of town this week)
http://twit.tv/sn - Security Now

Fun (adult language warning)
http://NightAttack.tv
http://www.harmontown.com - Dan Harmon, creator of Community

Other
http://www.stuffyoushouldknow.com - They take a random topic, and explain everything about it.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 02:47 PM by Jahandar, Reason: fixing url »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2014, 05:50 PM »
Always great to see a long time lurker post for the first time  :up: :up: :up:

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2014, 06:36 AM »
Really nice list of recommended podcasts on techdirt:
https://www.techdirt...s-to-listen-to.shtml

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2014, 09:17 PM »
Really nice list of recommended podcasts on techdirt:
https://www.techdirt...s-to-listen-to.shtml

The comments there about Freakonomics are spot on:

Freakonomics: Usually good, though not always as interesting as it feels it should be. Often feels like it takes a bit too superficial of a view on things, which is too bad. Feels like it could dig deeper on some stories.

I tried to get into it before, but found it very superficial. On the econ side, I like Peter Schiff & Gerald Celente. They have some good shows.

marcelle

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2014, 02:00 PM »
my favorite podcasts are Dan Carlin's Hardcore History and Common Sense with Dan Carlin.
The history pod cast is especially good. It is entertaining and interesting to even a non-history buff.

oblivion

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2014, 10:11 AM »
I'm very, very behind on my podcasts: I try not to skip too much but I seem to download more than I have time to listen to so I'm about a year behind, right now. So this list might include things that aren't as good as they used to be, I guess...

Not all of them are safe for work, mostly on language grounds. Google them by all means but I won't post links, for that reason.

Answer Me This
The Bugle

These two usually make me laugh. The latter would be topical if I were up to date but it's worth it for John Oliver -- yes, that John Oliver -- and Andy Zaltzman's unique take on world politics. The former is ... well, the clue is in the name. It's also usually funny.

I'm not sure of availability outside the UK but the BBC produces quite a few weekly podcasts that I like. In particular, the Friday Night Comedy podcast, which is always news-based comedy, and More Or Less, which is about statistics, often the sort that are misquoted by politicians and journalists, and is usually a lot more interesting than you might think. (There's a version of it that's broadcast on the World Service and I imagine the podcast of that one is available everywhere, even if the others aren't.)

And I've been recommended Radiolab, but apart from hearing a bit of one in a documentary podcasts about podcasts (!) I have yet to hear a full one. I have a few downloaded, though...

I've recently reluctantly given up on Escape Pod. Excellent, good quality sf stories but I have to try to clear the backlog somehow... and Greg Proops' Proopcasts were often amusing (also somewhat NSFW) but patchy and his lengthy diatribes on the subject of baseball aren't a good fit for British ears, so I, possibly also unfairly, gave up on those too.

Mostly, podcasts are for car journeys and distracting me from the tedium of things like vacuuming; I have a rolling playlist that ensures I listen in chronological order and -- with extremely rare exceptions -- they're deleted after listening.
-- bests, Tim

...this space unintentionally left blank.

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2015, 11:22 AM »
I'm a regular listener of Group Therapy with Above & Beyond (previously Trance Around The World) - I try and download the split versions and keep the tracks I like. I don't have words to express the amazing, positive impact this show has to my life. Not even being dramatic.  ;D

You absolutely must check out Ajuna Deep.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2015, 01:02 PM »
I'm a regular listener of Group Therapy with Above & Beyond (previously Trance Around The World) - I try and download the split versions and keep the tracks I like.

I managed to find the link to the full podcast, but I can't find the split versions. Do you have a link for it?

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2015, 03:20 PM »
iTunes podcasts are lower quality than digital radio sources anyway, best avoided.  ;)

My sources for ABGT:
1. Torrent search - look for uploaders inspiron or snoopvelo - they both upload splits.
2. Cuenation - you'll have to split the files yourself using the .cue provided
3. This forum (sign up required and it's in Russian, IIRC) updates a torrent containing all previous episodes, every week, so if you're looking to download older episodes it's your best bet. [Edit: These aren't split files but it's a reliable source - the cuenation .cue files work well with these .mp3s 99% of the time]
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 03:26 PM by nosh »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2015, 12:34 AM »
iTunes podcasts are lower quality than digital radio sources anyway, best avoided.  ;)

I don't use iTunes. :)

http://www.aboveandbeyond.nu/abgt

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2015, 02:32 AM »
They host the same lower bitrate on their own site (same as you'd get on iTunes :P) than what they broadcast to digital radio stations.
#IIRC

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2015, 03:40 PM »
Necro time!  :P

my favorite podcasts are Dan Carlin's Hardcore History and Common Sense with Dan Carlin.

A HUGE thumbs up to Dan Carlin. I've always found history terribly boring but Hardcore History has ignited my curiosity, Dan is a great story-teller.

I'm becoming a bit of a political junkie as I age and I find his Common Sense podcast (which focuses on current affairs) even more fascinating. Dan tends to be more libertarian than not but wherever you place yourself on the political spectrum, there's a good chance he'll make you rethink or atleast question yourself on a few issues. Common Sense is a must listen! Can't recommend it enough.

Select episodes of both podcasts are available free on iTunes (older episodes can be purchased on his site dancarlin.com )

PS: I was listening to one of his much older episodes where Dan laments why the US president can't be a non-partisan, financially independent & upstanding citizen... say someone like Bill Cosby! But don't hold that against him.  ;D

They're on Youtube too:
Common Sense #295 - Trumping the Playbook (talking about the first GOP debate)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 04:25 PM by nosh »