topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 8:57 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Interesting response to a request for "work for free"  (Read 2612 times)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Interesting response to a request for "work for free"
« on: August 27, 2014, 05:17 PM »
Have you been asked to work for free in exchange for "exposure" or promises of paid future work?

This article is a good read for anybody who is freelancing or running their own business. Although it involves a designer, this same sort of solicitation often crops up with coders and other technical professionals.

... it's not just designers. I received a ton of responses from writers, cartoonists, architects and people in other professions who get asked to work for free. I don't know what it is. Maybe people think that if you went to art school you don't understand money?

8)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Re: Interesting response to a request for "work for free"
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 08:27 PM »
Nice! That was really good to hear.

I tripped across this from following links:

NSFW - http://vimeo.com/22053820

But, yeah. Exactly. That.

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Interesting response to a request for "work for free"
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 06:25 AM »
This article is a good read for anybody who is freelancing or running their own business. Although it involves a designer, this same sort of solicitation often crops up with coders and other technical professionals.
his work is lovely too :-*

another quote from BuzzFeed:
In response, a spokesperson for Showtime told BuzzFeed:

Showtime is a strong supporter of artists around the world. This contest, like many others, is entirely optional. Under the contest guidelines, those who choose to submit their art are eligible for a grand prize of a Las Vegas trip, in addition to invaluable national exposure across multiple platforms.

However, Cassaro is unimpressed.

He told BuzzFeed: “The whole thing is just unethical. You would never cold call a bunch of licensed electricians and ask them to do the lighting for an event like this for free. You certainly wouldn’t ask them to hashtag their ‘submission’ on Twitter to drive traffic to your website.

He added: “To call it a contest is a bit insulting. A contest is guessing how many jellybeans are in the jar so you can win all the jellybeans. … To participate in a contest like this as a working professional devalues the work of everyone.”
(my emphasis)
Tom