topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:46 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Godmode  (Read 17220 times)

Cuffy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Godmode
« on: July 27, 2014, 07:30 PM »
Does everyone have a copy of Godmode?
it's almost as good as a start menu.............

Click create folder.

Name your sparkly, new folder this, "GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}" and press enter.

Blink as the folder changes form to look like the <a href="http:/

Open the folder and bask in all your godly, control panel-y power.</p>

Use everything between the quotes but NOT the quotes for the folder name.
 :)

I have it working in Win8.1.1, Win7Pro 64, Win7Pro 32 and I think it worked in XP

All the same numbers.
Evidently somebody was thinking........... how unusual??
You can put the folder on your desktop, on your root drive, or both.
Straight to the control panel, neat and sanitary!
Works anywhere and nothing is installed. These are just shortcuts to various applets in control panel.

Cuffy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Godmode
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 08:35 PM »
Anyone confused or can't get it working?

Maybe some help here.....

http://www.cnet.com/...-windows-7s-godmode/

Cuffy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 06:51 PM »
I'm curious here.....
Godmode post has 143 reads and yet nobody has reported installing or using it.

The access provided by Godmode is almost equal to the start menu. Indispensable if you use "Add/Remove, Network or Disk Management, etc..

I use it constantly and would hate to be without it. :huh:

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 07:14 PM »
Certainly interesting, but I thought "God mode" had been around since Win 98?  Wonder where I learned that?  :huh: 

Obviously not from Wikipedia:
The Windows Master Control Panel shortcut, labeled All Tasks and also called Windows God Mode by bloggers and All Tasks folder by at least one Microsoft developer,[1] is a short-cut to access various control settings in Windows Vista and later operating systems.

Cuffy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 07:26 PM »
Certainly interesting, but I thought "God mode" had been around since Win 98?  Wonder where I learned that?  :huh: 

Obviously not from Wikipedia:
The Windows Master Control Panel shortcut, labeled All Tasks and also called Windows God Mode by bloggers and All Tasks folder by at least one Microsoft developer,[1] is a short-cut to access various control settings in Windows Vista and later operating systems.

I really can't remember when I first started using it. I think Ed Bott was the original author but I'm not sure of that either.
I just dropped that number into Find in the registry. It's simply the addy for the control panel. I'd try some of the other numbers in the registry but how do you know what to look for??
ED...... is capitalized...........
ee...... not?
gotta break the code and see what we can find??? :D

Cuffy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 07:34 PM »
Drop that number into Google and you'll receive more info than you ever wanted to know..........
almost a million hits.

gotta break the code  :Thmbsup:

Cuffy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 08:14 PM »
Searching that GodMode number in Google turned up a YouTube.......
I don't know if this link will copy??... not my thang!

http://www.youtube.c.../watch?v=PvNP36Je0dg

Cuffy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 08:39 PM »
That link works fine but there are YouTubes in the sidebar you shouldn't watch. Girls with gun.... packing a Derringer..Wow!
Big guns, little guns,...................... dangerous stuff!

:D

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2014, 01:08 AM »
There are many places on the 'Tube that nobody should go...  :o

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2014, 02:57 AM »
godmode demystified: http://brandonlive.c...-so-called-god-mode/

Unfortunately, you're too late for the T-Shirt: http://blogs.msdn.co.../03/25/10510594.aspx

Cuffy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2014, 10:57 AM »
Thanks, that MSDN page answered the question about breaking the code....

"There are two ways to define file system folders as junction points. The simplest approach is to create a folder in the appropriate location and append a period to the folder's name, followed by the string form of the CLSID of your extension. Only the folder name will be visible in Windows Explorer. The following example creates a junction point with a display name of MyFolder."

And Brandon clears up the mystery?? Is he the same Brandon that was part of Lockergnome 7 or 8 years ago? He has come a long ways! Brandon thought the idea was "silly".
Ed Bott doesn't agree as he outlines here...............
http://www.zdnet.com...ows-7-shortcuts/1615
I agree with Ed and hope the shortcuts keep coming. I'm a two-finger typist so typing something into search to get to the control panel or anywhere else seems to be the long way home. I'm agin it!  :D

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2014, 11:39 AM »
Is he the same Brandon that was part of Lockergnome 7 or 8 years ago?

I don't think so - he doesn't mention it here: http://brandonlive.com/about/

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2014, 01:15 PM »
Here's a tutorial how to add or remove All Tasks button to/from Control Panel for W7 and W8.  For lazy people like me, .reg files are available for download.  :)

Cuffy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2014, 03:21 PM »
Ahh, new toys!

Thanks

I checked that page at Win7 Tutorials and downloaded the reg page and the zip file for All Tasks.
Most interesting developments.....
the numbers in the reg file aren't the same as the number (CLSID) in Ed Botts Godmode yet they purport to go to the same place.
The zip file contains a shortcut to the same list of files as Godmode...
All Tasks and  Godmode seem to be the same place. One is a shortcut and the other the CLSID thingy.
Godmode originally, I think?, applied to Win7.
I'm running it on Win732, Win7 64, and Win8.1.1........... works great.. an indispensable tool!
If I had to make a WAG, I'd have to say that all roads lead to Rome. If you want the access to those applets any will get it for you.
I've got more checking to do and comparisons to make but take one, any one, they go to the same place???

Thanks, I love new toys  :D

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2014, 03:35 PM »
Afaik it's the same.  The tutorial title says All Tasks (God Mode.)  I haven't tried the one you posted.  I have seen a God Mode with a rectangular window with multiple columns.  Is that how yours looks?

SeraphimLabs

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • Be Ready
    • View Profile
    • SeraphimLabs
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2014, 04:03 PM »
This just seems redundant to me, unless it gives you access to things not normally accessible even through administrative interfaces.

winkey+r, type compmgmt.msc

I personally like msconfig and compmgmt, but you can access just about any builtin utility the system has through the run command.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2014, 04:09 PM »
This just seems redundant to me, unless it gives you access to things not normally accessible even through administrative interfaces.

I personally like msconfig and compmgmt, but you can access just about any builtin utility the system has through the run command.
-SeraphimLabs (July 29, 2014, 04:03 PM)

I'm lucky if I can remember services.msc   :)
I haven't tried God Mode.  But esp. W8 it seems a lot of clicking to get to computer management.  Of course I could just make a shortcut.  In W8 I don't mess with Disk Maybe when I have a couple of desktop machines so I can bail out of mistakes. Esp. with this new fangled GPT stuff. But by then I'll likely be on W9.  :)

Same thing with hotkeys.  I write my own and with the system accelerators and the Start Screen ones added in, I'm good if I remember Winkey Q  :)

Cuffy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2014, 04:10 PM »
Afaik it's the same.  The tutorial title says All Tasks (God Mode.)  I haven't tried the one you posted.  I have seen a God Mode with a rectangular window with multiple columns.  Is that how yours looks?
The original by Ed Bott and the zip file with the shortcut to All Tasks appear identical.
I haven't done a FC but they look the same to me?

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2014, 04:16 PM »
I can't find a screen shot of what the shortcut brings up.  In any case it will just be links maybe in muliple columns instead of one.  I'm sure in the registry it's al clsid stuff.

Cuffy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2014, 04:21 PM »

-SeraphimLabs (July 29, 2014, 04:03 PM)
I think you get more and all in one list.
Run takes several clicks to load and and the others require typing.
GodMode is on the desktop with one click to anything you want.
Godmode takes no space, no effort, no typing, it's free, so easy to implement and my question is "why not???"
You might find it a very handy tool. I'll take all of those that I can get.
YMMV

;)

Cuffy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2014, 04:23 PM »
I can't find a screen shot of what the shortcut brings up.  In any case it will just be links maybe in muliple columns instead of one.  I'm sure in the registry it's al clsid stuff.

I downloaded that zip and it opens the same page that GodMode does.                             

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2014, 04:34 PM »
I guess if you are frenetically tweaking it can save navigating to the links.  Windows likes to hide them with every flavor change it seems.  It is good if you can remember the hotkeys.  Like Winkey Pause still brings up a window with System Protection on it, same as Vista/W7.

Cuffy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2014, 05:09 PM »
I guess if you are frenetically tweaking it can save navigating to the links.  Windows likes to hide them with every flavor change it seems.  It is good if you can remember the hotkeys.  Like Winkey Pause still brings up a window with System Protection on it, same as Vista/W7.

I just checked the properties page for the shortcut in that zip file with the All tasks list.
The clsid number is shown there and identical to the number in Godmode. Same place, 252 shortcuts to applets you might look for to change a HDD, partition, change network settings, resolution......... ad infinitum.
and that Win 7 shortcut works in Win8.1.1.
No typing, no links........... click on Godmode or that All Tasks List and you are presented with 252 applets to pick from, all nicely grouped by topic.
It's a no brainer for me....... YMMV!
 ;D

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2014, 05:22 PM »
This dc search will get you how to add godmode to mouser's FARR and LaunchBar Commander
Tom

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2014, 06:08 AM »
One nice thing about the Brink Tutorials on the Vista/W7/W8 forums is if it includes a .reg file to set something up, it also includes a .reg file to undo it.  The Vista forum has low traffic these days, but the other two you can figure if there's a bug in the tutorial or .reg files someone will point it out before long.  It's a pretty safe source.

Also in W8 if you hit Winkey x, there's a small menu with commonly needed links such as Computer Management, Programs and Features, Disk Management, Control Panel, Admin and regular Command Prompts, Run etc..  :)