topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:32 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Does google have to be *everywhere*?  (Read 4281 times)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Does google have to be *everywhere*?
« on: July 27, 2014, 12:43 PM »
... and in such a toxic fashion?

There was an app I used on iOS... QuickOffice HD Pro.  Paid good money for it too.  Allowed me to access and edit my documents from dropbox, google drive, one drive, webdav, etc.

Google bought them.  Then proceeded to 'update' the app so that it didn't have connectivity.  Then they released another one, for free... that only included links to google drive.

I have no problems with the purchase... it happens.  Or even a lack of support... like Amazon did with Stanza.  It sucks, but ... that's the market.

But to actively cripple something that people paid for?  And release a less robust version?

That's just underhanded.

http://www.pcworld.c...oductivity-apps.html

This has apparently been happening slowly... but since I use it only under certain circumstances, I'd not noticed it until yesterday.

*sigh*

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Does google have to be *everywhere*?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 01:27 PM »
Like a staph infection, it doesn't need to exist. But it does. And it's out there.

Ditto iOS. When you're in a walled garden that uses the rules Apple does, you're SOL. And an update that breaks something isn't that uncommon. I had a half dozen pro-level network utilities that represented about $80 out-of-pocket suddenly stop working following an update because Apple strongly restricted network scanning/sniffing capabilities across the board on iPhones.

When I complained I was told "We can do this. Please read the ToS for your iPhone." I was also informed I should not expect a refund for any purchases made through the AppStore. I was told: "You'll have to pursue that directly with the app developers."

One offered to give me a refund for the two apps of theirs I owned. I asked why they made the changes they made. They said it was "required by Apple" and they weren't at liberty to discuss it because the terms of Apple's developer contract didn't allow them to elaborate. I thanked them and told them to just keep the money.

The other three devs never responded to the any of emails I sent them. Two of them have since disappeared form the AppStore.

Cuffy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 01:31 PM »
I don't think Google is ALL bad!

Like for instance when I was trying to spell "alzimers".........
ahlsimers........
alhzimers...................

Google came up with alzheimers!
Game over  :huh:

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 08:14 PM »
But to actively cripple something that people paid for?  And release a less robust version?

Wait a second... Is this a push to cripple the app? I also bought QuickOffice, but rarely use it. I simply bought it for that one rare occasion in the future when I'll "need it right bloody now!"

Updating software to cripple it is below low. It's kind of hard to believe. Is that right? Am I reading wrong?
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 08:53 PM »
But to actively cripple something that people paid for?  And release a less robust version?

Wait a second... Is this a push to cripple the app? I also bought QuickOffice, but rarely use it. I simply bought it for that one rare occasion in the future when I'll "need it right bloody now!"

Updating software to cripple it is below low. It's kind of hard to believe. Is that right? Am I reading wrong?

Nope, you're not reading wrong.  And yes, they crippled it.  Look at the review page for the google version of QuickOffice.  QuickOffice Pro HD isn't available anymore.  And I was in that same boat... I rarely used it, but when I needed it, it was good.  Not anymore.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2014, 09:00 PM »

Nope. You're just being shown (the hard way) what that "terms of this service are subject to change without notice" clause is all about. :o

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2014, 10:13 PM »

Nope, you're not reading wrong.  And yes, they crippled it.  Look at the review page for the google version of QuickOffice.  QuickOffice Pro HD isn't available anymore.  And I was in that same boat... I rarely used it, but when I needed it, it was good.  Not anymore.

Ooops. My mistake. I just checked... I did have the trial of QuickOffice before, but went with Documents To Go and Polaris Office instead. I forget why I didn't buy QuickOffice. Still, doesn't make what they did any less douchey.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2014, 10:16 PM »

Nope. You're just being shown (the hard way) what that "terms of this service are subject to change without notice" clause is all about. :o

I'm not sure that a locally running application is a service.

But, once again, this only fuels my hatred and loathing major psychotic f**king hatred of SaaS, web services, "online blah blah", and the entire mentality behind all of that. *)