topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:29 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Android: Looking for true app data backup solution  (Read 9198 times)

nite_monkey

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Just Plain Super
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Android: Looking for true app data backup solution
« on: July 14, 2014, 04:04 PM »
I'm looking for an app or method to backup both my apps, and my app data. I have a nexus 5, so I don't have an sd card option to backup to. I do however has stickmount, so I could backup to a usb drive. Though, it would be nice if I had the option to backup to a folder on my google drive. I have tried various apps, and they all seem to only know how to backup just the app, and not its data. (meaning, I lose all my progress on any games I have.) I've heard Titanium backup is supposed to be able to backup both the apps, and their data, but when I tried it, it only backed up the apps, and then when I went to restore my backup, it just installed each app one by one, and without the app's data.

Does anyone know of a good free (or free with premium option) app that will actually backup my apps and their data? My phone is rooted, is there some folder that has all of my apps' data that I can just backup?
[Insert really cool signature here]

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Android: Looking for true app data backup solution
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 05:04 PM »
Yes please too!

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 05:41 PM »
I also have a nexus 5, and I've gone through this.  Here's my story...

The two apps I use for this sort of stuff:
ROM Toolbox
Titanium Backup

ROM Toolbox is definitely the more versatile program and the one to get if you're only going to get one.   It can do everything Titanium does basically, and much more. However, Titanium is sometimes preferred in specific situations.

ROM Toolbox can backup your apps, app data, system apps, etc.  So can Titanium.  But Titanium can keep multiple copies of backups, which is really the only thing it does better.  When I'm restoring just a single app, I go to titanium (no good reason).

Now, all this aside, it's easy to screw up an intended backup/restore procedure when you are installing a new ROM or something.  Things don't restore the way you expect, settings are gone, etc.  And it's not always easy to figure out why.  So here comes...

"Nandroid"
Nandroid, is like a noun/verb (very confusing) that basically means an image of your phone.  You can only do a Nandroid outside of the OS (like in twrp or cwm).  THis is definitely my preferred restoring method.  When I restore my system (all apps, settings, anything) using a Nandroid, everything restores perfectly.  If I try to restore within android using titanium or ROM toolbox doesn't work nearly as well.

So how do you make a nandroid?  From ROM toolbox, you backup your ROM.  It will reboot and do it automatically.

Hope that helps.

nite_monkey

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Just Plain Super
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 05:47 PM »
I use twrp. Is there a way to backup to a usb drive (via an OTG cable) since the N5 doesn't have external storage? The only problem with a nandroid backup is that I want to be able to "copy" all my apps and data to a different rom, which I can't do with a nandroid backup. I was reading that titanium backup can restore from twrp backups. I suppose if I can ever get titanium to actually backup the data, it might be an option.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 05:56 PM »
I use twrp. Is there a way to backup to a usb drive (via an OTG cable) since the N5 doesn't have external storage? The only problem with a nandroid backup is that I want to be able to "copy" all my apps and data to a different rom, which I can't do with a nandroid backup. I was reading that titanium backup can restore from twrp backups. I suppose if I can ever get titanium to actually backup the data, it might be an option.
I don't know of a direct way to do the usb thing.  But I have a couple of workarounds.  You can just manually transfer the file over with a file manager.  Another way is to use something like BTSync and it will automatically sync a folder on your phone to one on your computer when they are near each other (bluetooth or wifi).

But if I'm not mistaken, you may still be able to restore your apps with ROM toolbox (with a nandroid backup file) even if it's a different rom.  because there's an option for apps, apps and data, or system apps, or everything I think.  I've only tried it on the same rom but different versions, and it worked fine.

Apps restore fine with titanium from my experiences.  But the system stuff doesn't work well, even though it claims it does.  LIke accounts, customized rom settings, custom system apps and settings, they normally don't work well at all except with nandroid.

nite_monkey

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Just Plain Super
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 06:02 PM »
A while back when I first got my otg cable, I was able to view my usb drive in twrp. I never tried to actually set it as my backup location tho. I assume it might work. BTW, are you using the free version of Titanium and rom toolbox, or the pro versions?

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 06:26 PM »
A while back when I first got my otg cable, I was able to view my usb drive in twrp. I never tried to actually set it as my backup location tho. I assume it might work. BTW, are you using the free version of Titanium and rom toolbox, or the pro versions?
paid: both versions.

nite_monkey

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Just Plain Super
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 06:39 PM »
paid: both versions.

I might have to give the paid version of Titanium a try then. other than it's backup features, is it worth buying rom toolbox?

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2014, 11:24 PM »
ROM Toolbox is a nice collection of what would otherwise be separate utility apps (many of which require the device to be rooted).  Some of the things I use it for:

- SuperSU
  - busybox
  - root file explorer
  - sqlite3 database editor (comes up when you open a .db file in the explorer)
  - app manager (that lets you 'freeze' apps, so you can disable them without deleting them)

It also has a bunch of utilities to manage ROMs, but I haven't used them yet.  I think it was a very worthwhile purchase.

I did have a recent problem with the sqlite3 editing - it requires that the device have the 'sqlite3' command line program in the path.  Many devices have it because it's part of the Android AOSP build, but some manufacturers remove it because it's not necessary for the normal running of the device.  I used the "SQLite Installer for Root" app to install the utility, and the functionality worked in JRummy's explorer after that.

I submitted a couple bug reports about this problem via JRummy's website (one from when I had the problem and didn't know how to fix it, and another explaining the fix I found), but I never received any kind of reply.  I guess this is an indication that support might be an issue if you find yourself needing it.  We'll see if the next update to ROM Toolbox includes the sqlite3 utility or at least tells you that it's missing instead of giving you a useless error message if you have this problem.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2014, 05:15 AM »
A question: Even after paying for ROM Toolbox Pro, you're still prompted to buy more within the program?

BTW, I know why you guys really bought it ;D

Clipboard Image.jpgAndroid: Looking for true app data backup solution

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2014, 08:54 AM »
It has a 'donate' button which will charge you $5 from Google Play - the "Offers in-app purchases" you see on the Play store page is probably due to that.

I don't recall running into any required in-app purchase situations.  However, there are several parts of the app I haven't used (ROM management, font installation, boot animation).

nite_monkey

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Just Plain Super
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2014, 01:12 PM »
I went ahead an bought titanium backup. I'm going to pass on Rom Toolbox though. I use multirom with a modified TWRP recovery for my roms, and I don't have a need to change fonts. I also just manually change my boot animation, because I rarely change it anyways. I was tempted to buy Rom Toolbox tho when I saw SassiBob's video was on the page.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2014, 12:23 AM »
"Nandroid"
Nandroid, is like a noun/verb (very confusing) that basically means an image of your phone.  You can only do a Nandroid outside of the OS (like in twrp or cwm).  THis is definitely my preferred restoring method.  When I restore my system (all apps, settings, anything) using a Nandroid, everything restores perfectly.  If I try to restore within android using titanium or ROM toolbox doesn't work nearly as well.

So how do you make a nandroid?  From ROM toolbox, you backup your ROM.  It will reboot and do it automatically.

Nandroid is a portmanteauw of NANDw which is the internal flash memory of the device and Android which is the OS, of course. As far as I know, any custom recovery can make a Nandroid backup.

Titanium Backup Pro is really nice, and worth it. It's what I would recommend, for when a Nandroid backup doesn't suit the situation. I also like that it can sync your backups to Dropbox, or Box, or Google Drive.

But also, if you combine Titanium Backup with BitTorrent Sync, you can just automatically sync your backup directory to your PC (with the BT Sync client installed/running) so you're not limited by cloud storage space.