topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:02 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: The art of finding  (Read 11921 times)

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The art of finding
« on: July 11, 2014, 07:15 AM »
The art of finding.

I want to know hoy is the electrical power of a hard disk so I search for this in google and obtain answers not directly related to my interest.

Fails the context search.

Exists a good directory of thematic and contextual searchs ?

Best Regards

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: The art of finding
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 10:55 AM »
Perhaps refine your search terms:

Model number "power" "specification"

eg.

HS06THB "power" "specification"

Second answer, (for me), is the spec sheet at Seagate, (who took over Samsung' HDD assets).

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 02:39 PM »
I am studying this subject.
I think i will use Intelli Web Search for this purpose.
I more wikipedia.
I put angry when searching for scientific subject with google.
At last i am using more often duckduck
 :-*

I will make script to launch from the clipboard selecting the engine : wiki, duck duck.....

When we search in the wiki I think don't have so many problems as with Google.

And a good idea : search inside Donation Coder for many other subjects....
 :Thmbsup:

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 05:16 PM »
I will make script to launch from the clipboard selecting the engine : wiki, duck duck.....

If you get something working please post it.  I'd be curious to see how you approach it.  FF context menu I can search using whatever engine is in the search box.  But it would be nicer to have a submenu with all the search engines or some other approach that's not cumbersome.  :)

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2014, 03:09 AM »
FF context menu I can search using whatever engine is in the search box.  But it would be nicer to have a submenu with all the search engines or some other approach that's not cumbersome.  :)

Advanced URL Builder

Clipboard Image.pngThe art of finding

Disclaimer: I have no idea how the torrent and NZB search engines got there

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2014, 04:59 AM »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2014, 06:15 AM »
@4wd that's similar to how chrome adds search engines. I don't remember if there's a way to cascade them in the context menu.  But I only use chromium now for diagnosing other browsers.  :)

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2014, 03:49 PM »

If you get something working please post it.  I'd be curious to see how you approach it.  FF context menu I can search using whatever engine is in the search box.  But it would be nicer to have a submenu with all the search engines or some other approach that's not cumbersome.  :)

IWS is in autohotkey like language. I think is autoit. And make scripts is guided.
Really is a key launcher.
As usual there are more options than days in a year.

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2014, 03:51 PM »
How about http://www.google.com/advanced_search ?

At this moment i am using Chrome. Exists for Chrome this extension ?

Best Regards

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2014, 03:54 PM »
How about http://www.google.com/advanced_search ?

Ath I think the problem is that Google is a business. Perhaps with the personalyzed searchers.......
But you can take a good headache filling all those chains that land you in a convenient business page.

From the time of my father make publicity cost much less. Google is not giving nothing really. It's just business.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2014, 05:15 PM »
you could test the free version of iMetaSearch. I use the pro version, because it was on offer..., but right now it isn't. It hasn't been updated since April last year, and who knows if it ever will be. There is a fine user manual and an instructive video to make it easy to begin using the program. I think you might benefit from the way this program works:

tutorial: http://www.puffinwar...tasearch-manual.html

layout-flat-600.gif

video:

http://www.puffinwarellc.com/ "iMetaSearch Makes Google Better"
-the pro version is offering 11 more search engines, besides Google

click:
        2014-07-13_001226.gif

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2014, 01:31 PM »
@4wd do you know which file Advanced URL Builder uses for entries?  I'd like to just copy from FF to FF portable without entering the search engines again.

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2014, 01:51 PM »
you could test the free version of iMetaSearch. I use the pro version, because it was on offer..., but right now it isn't. It hasn't been updated since April last year, and who knows if it ever will be. There is a fine user manual and an instructive video to make it easy to begin using the program. I think you might benefit from the way this program works:

tutorial: http://www.puffinwar...tasearch-manual.html

Running to try. I will comment !!!!!1

(see attachment in previous post)

video:

http://www.puffinwarellc.com/ "iMetaSearch Makes Google Better"
-the pro version is offering 11 more search engines, besides Google

click:
        (see attachment in previous post)

Running to try. I will comment !!!!!1

P.D. Look very nice
 ;D

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2014, 05:28 AM »
I can' register imetasearch because don't have microsoft outlook installed !!!!!1

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2014, 05:33 AM »
I am using portable thunderbird.
That may be the problem. I am trying to solve....

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2014, 05:39 AM »
Continues the error. I have microsoft outlook 2002 installed in windows 7 - 64 and make predeterminated. But i continue receiving the same message. Perhaps I have to reopen session ?
 :P

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2014, 05:44 AM »
I have to configure the account in MO or is not necessary. I don't use the program......
 :-[

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2014, 05:22 PM »
On several occasions I tried the portable version of Thunderbird, but it never would work like expected when compared with the installed e-mail client.

But that isn't your problem. MAPI is your your problem. All mail clients support this standard, it allows for a mail message being generated, with the receiver, subject, body text and optional attachment automatically filled in. That more or less leaves one job for you to do and that is pressing the 'Send' button.

It shouldn't matter which e-mail client you use as this standard is supported on all clients.

However, Microsoft, in all their wisdom, made an extended version of MAPI to make a differentiation between their idea of an professional environment (Outlook and Exchange) and well, whatever...(any mail server with any mail client).

Depending on the MAPI functionality that is called upon by the software that wants to report the error, this can become a messy story. For example: encryption on a message-by-message basis requires the extended version of MAPI. Extended MAPI is only supported in Outlook. There are a lot more mail clients nowadays being able to connect to an Exchange Server, but for crap like this you have no other option than to use Outlook. To my knowledge at least.

Also, depending on the requested MAPI functionality, only certain Outlook/Exchange combinations are allowed.

You say you have Outlook 2002 on your PC, a version that is also known as Outlook XP. This is a very old version. So old in fact that Microsoft has already dropped support for the successor of your Outlook client. With that I mean to say that even if you configure your Outlook 2002 correctly, it could still fail just because it is too old (in Microsoft's opinion, not mine).

My usual advice is to just install the Thunderbird mail client as a regular application and you will see this problem go away automatically. Personally, I'm a great fan of portable applications and happily use these on a daily basis. Portable Thunderbird? Don't bother, it's just not worth it to lose your time troubleshooting over. It is only usable when you have very basic mail needs.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2014, 02:44 AM »
@4wd do you know which file Advanced URL Builder uses for entries?  I'd like to just copy from FF to FF portable without entering the search engines again.

@MilesAhead: Sorry, didn't see your post until now.

AdvancedURLBuilder' prefs are stored in the pref.js file in your Firefox/Pale Moon profile directory.

If you open the file and do a search for one of your entries you'll see them, they'll have lines starting with:

user_pref("aub.<setting>", <value>);

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2014, 07:17 AM »
@4wd  Thank you.  :)

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2014, 01:15 PM »
On several occasions I tried the portable version of Thunderbird, but it never would work like expected when compared with the installed e-mail client.

But that isn't your problem. MAPI is your your problem. All mail clients support this standard, it allows for a mail message being generated, with the receiver, subject, body text and optional attachment automatically filled in. That more or less leaves one job for you to do and that is pressing the 'Send' button.

It shouldn't matter which e-mail client you use as this standard is supported on all clients.

However, Microsoft, in all their wisdom, made an extended version of MAPI to make a differentiation between their idea of an professional environment (Outlook and Exchange) and well, whatever...(any mail server with any mail client).

Depending on the MAPI functionality that is called upon by the software that wants to report the error, this can become a messy story. For example: encryption on a message-by-message basis requires the extended version of MAPI. Extended MAPI is only supported in Outlook. There are a lot more mail clients nowadays being able to connect to an Exchange Server, but for crap like this you have no other option than to use Outlook. To my knowledge at least.

Also, depending on the requested MAPI functionality, only certain Outlook/Exchange combinations are allowed.

You say you have Outlook 2002 on your PC, a version that is also known as Outlook XP. This is a very old version. So old in fact that Microsoft has already dropped support for the successor of your Outlook client. With that I mean to say that even if you configure your Outlook 2002 correctly, it could still fail just because it is too old (in Microsoft's opinion, not mine).

My usual advice is to just install the Thunderbird mail client as a regular application and you will see this problem go away automatically. Personally, I'm a great fan of portable applications and happily use these on a daily basis. Portable Thunderbird? Don't bother, it's just not worth it to lose your time troubleshooting over. It is only usable when you have very basic mail needs.

I would like the programmer of iMetaSearch solves the problem of Microsoft.
But perhaps is not possible.....