topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:12 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Sublime Text Giveaway  (Read 16837 times)

ha14

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Sublime Text Giveaway
« on: July 10, 2014, 10:31 AM »
Hi
Sublime text giveaway.

Sublime Text is a sophisticated text editor for code, markup and prose.
You'll love the slick user interface, extraordinary features and amazing performance.

I removed my referal! my mistake
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 01:47 PM by ha14 »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Sublime Text Giveaway
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 11:47 AM »
Thanks for this!

Just FYI to any future readers of this thread, the link in ha14's message is a referral link that gives him 3 more entries for every person he refers.

Use this link if you don't want to give him the referral:

http://sublimetextti...blime-text-giveaway/

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 12:07 PM »
ust FYI to any future readers of this thread, the link in ha14's message is a referral link that gives him 3 more entries for every person he refers.

@ha14 - it's generally considered proper DC etiquette to disclose any personal interests you have in something you're posting. Most of us don't mind - as long as we're informed about it up front.   ;) :)

ha14

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 01:44 PM »
it's generally considered proper DC etiquette to disclose any personal interests you have in something you're posting. Most of us don't mind - as long as we're informed about it up fron
quite right, sorry

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 01:53 PM »
it's generally considered proper DC etiquette to disclose any personal interests you have in something you're posting. Most of us don't mind - as long as we're informed about it up fron
quite right, sorry

That's quite all right.

I wasn't interested in the giveaway since I already own a copy and I'm more than happy to let the dev keep my money. However, I have since entered it using your link now that I know you'll get an additional three cracks at winning it. I'm always happy to help a fellow DC member whenever I can.

Luck! :Thmbsup:

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 01:53 PM »
ha14: I didn't mean to imply it was wrong to include your referral in the link. I just know that, as mentioned by 40hz, people here generally like to be informed of personal interest ahead of time, so I was making sure people had the chance to know beforehand and "opt out" of giving referral bonuses if they chose.

Good luck!

bjk

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 05:56 AM »
Time to take part in the giveaway is over now and the page silently disappeard. No notice of a winner or that it existed ever. Sad.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 01:07 PM »
So it was just an email harvesting tactic? :mad:

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, 01:44 PM »

Perhaps not.  But perhaps.  And the page hasn't disappeared, just the announcement.  Perhaps only the winner was notified, which happens with several contests.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2014, 02:36 PM »
Time to take part in the giveaway is over now and the page silently disappeard. No notice of a winner or that it existed ever. Sad.

I'm sure the developer has a free copy installed on his/her machine.  No need to download.  heh heh

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2014, 03:49 PM »

Perhaps not.  But perhaps.  And the page hasn't disappeared, just the announcement.  Perhaps only the winner was notified, which happens with several contests.

I suppose you could always send a query to their sales department and ask if you're that curious about who won it. But with only a single copy up for grabs I don't think there's much financial incentive for the dev to be playing games over it.
 8)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2014, 04:33 PM »

I suppose you could always send a query to their sales department and ask if you're that curious about who won it. But with only a single copy up for grabs I don't think there's much financial incentive for the dev to be playing games over it.
 8)

This :)

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2014, 03:49 AM »
 8)

The contest wasn't run by the people behind ST itself, but by a guy called Josh Earl who has written a couple of e-books on ST and runs a mailing list with tips.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 04:07 AM by Jibz »

bjk

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2014, 09:13 AM »

8)

Yes, of course! Though I'm not that interested who won if there is one that won and an announcement like "Giveaway is over. The winner has been notified and thanks a lot for giving your email addresses." would have been very kind.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2014, 12:28 PM »

8)

Yes, of course! Though I'm not that interested who won if there is one that won and an announcement like "Giveaway is over. The winner has been notified and thanks a lot for giving your email addresses." would have been very kind.

I think there is this one guy who wins everything.  State Lotto Contests, new cars, Irish Sweepstakes etc..  He used to work for the US Postal Service.  He was in a unique position to discard the entries of other participants.  This gave him a tremendous advantage.  Especially since he could bombard the contests with entries funded by the postage meter at the mail sorting center.  I believe he retired when snail mail contest entries went out of favor.

Unless of course he branched out into telecommunications.   Hmmmm.

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2014, 10:48 AM »
Got this email moments ago:

Remember that Sublime Text license giveaway thing you entered last week? Yeah, whatever happened to that?

Well, I'd meant to declare the winner on Friday, July 18. But ... to say the response to this was more than I anticipated doesn't even begin to describe what happened.

The contest was so popular that my server ran out of disk space and crashed on the second day, leaving me scrambling to get it back up.

Now that the dust has settled, I've had a chance to go through the data and declare a winner.

And the winner is ...

name of person (not me)

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2014, 12:03 PM »
Ditto, but it also brings a link to unsubscribe  :)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2014, 12:14 PM »
Ditto, but it also brings a link to unsubscribe  :)

Yeah... I think he was just quoting the relevant part.

bjk

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2014, 08:55 AM »
Got this email moments ago:

Remember that Sublime Text license giveaway thing you entered last week? Yeah, whatever happened to that?

I got this message today, too. Maybe I was a little impatient.

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2014, 08:18 AM »
Interestingly, the Sublime Text forums are broken for a couple of days now. Intended?

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2014, 07:06 PM »
Interestingly, the Sublime Text forums are broken for a couple of days now. Intended?

This kind of thing seems to happen every now and again with the Sublime Text forum, but usually it's back in a day or so. The forum seems to be largely an afterthought for Jon (the ST dev). I get the feeling it's an annoyance that he only begrudgingly lets exist.

ST fans make it a useful forum in spite of that.

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2014, 07:07 PM »
It definitely lacks an e-mail notification though.

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2014, 04:54 AM »

The forums have been up again for a couple of days now. It is getting increasingly depressing to follow though -- there are still helpful people, but it feels like it is getting worse :(.