topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:54 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Anyone using CherryTree for Windows, or Linux for that matter?  (Read 9953 times)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'm curious if anyone has experience with CherryTree.  I've tried a few of these universal note utilities and nothing has really grabbed me.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Anyone using CherryTree for Windows, or Linux for that matter?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 03:44 PM »
I use it. Primarily because it does what I need it to do and it's multi-platform. It's nothing that remarkable IMHO. At least as far as the simple way I use it goes. But I'm one of those people that always followed that bit of advice that went: "it's ok to go out on a date. But when it comes tools, don't ever marry. Don't even fall in love."  8)

About the only 'tools' I can honestly say I'd be very upset about losing are the '72 Gibson L9S Ripper and '68 Ampeg B-15N I own.

(Nobody's totally immune! ;D )
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 03:59 PM by 40hz »

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 03:56 PM »
Occasionally, installed with others like Basket Note Pads. It's good but hasn't made me want to use it regularly.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 05:04 PM »
Thanks for the replies. If it runs without seeming flaky then I'll give it a shot.  Especially since it looks like at some level I'm going to start playing around with Linux again.  :)

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 02:50 AM »
I'm using TreeLine at the mo, but have Cherrytree on the back burner.  There are LOTS of hierarchical note-taking apps around, much more than there were when I was using Notecase before they went pay-fer.  So if CherryTree doesn't work out, you still have quite a few options...

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 05:18 AM »
I was messing around with TreePad Lite for awhile just because they published the file format.  But the Lite version doesn't do much other than text.  To go t a link you have to select and hit Control h or something.

I have to start doing something to get organized.  There may come a day when I'm able to do more than one thing in 24 hours.  So I need to avoid mixing the two things up.  :)

Circles and arrows and a paragraph linked to each one explainin' what each one wuz may help.  :)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 11:55 AM »
Both of them look pretty cool... but my requirements for a while for any kind of note editor is not just that it export to Markdown, but that it actively uses it.  For that reason, I'm using Texthaven.

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 01:43 PM »
Circles and arrows and a paragraph linked to each one explainin' what each one wuz may help.  :)

Do you mean about the recommended software? WhizFolders has such explanation, if you scroll down their main page. It's a half-way house between a hierarchical notes database and a desktop wiki. But it's Windows only and not free.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2014, 01:54 PM »
Circles and arrows and a paragraph linked to each one explainin' what each one wuz may help.  :)

Would something like Scapple work for you? OSX and Windows only. No Nix version - although I tried installing it under Wine and it appears to work ok. Still, I'd never trust running it that way if I were doing something important. So let's keep it as Mac/PC only.

You can get a 30 (non-consecutive!!!) day trial if you want one just by downloading it. Inexpensive to buy too ($15).
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 01:59 PM by 40hz »

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2014, 02:14 PM »
I haven't even looked at it. But then even with big chunks of downtime, when I get serious I am a rabid Tree note fanatic.

If I want to create a node of Undermined/Wins/By Miner/2 3 4, I have only found two programs that worked for me, (one of which had a fatal deep structural flaw).

So I am just a bit puzzled at any program that can't let me create a 3 level deep node in twelve seconds because that's how I think every day.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2014, 11:58 AM »
I'll give Scapple a try.  I can't download on this particular WiFi.  But I should be able to get the trial later this afternoon.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2014, 01:41 PM »
I am just a bit puzzled at any program that can't let me create a 3 level deep node in twelve seconds because that's how I think every day.

My problem with hierarchical trees (and outliners in general) is my tendency to not stop at just three levels. If I'm not careful I can all too easily and fall into a fractal mode of thinking. I think it was one of Herman Hesse's characters (Steppenwolf?) that said something to the effect that in order to accurately explain what he was thinking, a hundred things need to be said simultaneously.

Yeah...that sure sounds like me sometimes. ;D