topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:09 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: ODROID-U3 Community Edition at a special price - $59 plus shipping  (Read 10614 times)

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hardkernel, the people behind ODROID series have come up with "ODROID-U3 Community Edition" which is the same as the normal U3 but with the following clauses: "$59 is special price only for this community edition for personal use outside Korea. And the maximum order quantity is limited to one unit for one person".

This is one of the few single-board computers that I found enticing due its power-packed features. Among others it comes with a Samsung Exynos quad-core processor (same as a Samsung Galaxy 3 iirc) and 2gb of ram plus ethernet slot and 3 usb ports (not usb 3.0 though).

http://hardkernel.co...oducts/prdt_info.php

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
i received mine within a week but hardly had the time to set things up. i also had to buy a micro HDMI adapter.

the default setup came with kubuntu (xfce) and xbmc frodo 12.2 but i am planning to flash xbmcbuntu soon enough.

here are some pics from the unboxing.
https://www.dropbox....z9lqj5w4u/lkUhouCqrt

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
oh baby, this is sexy.

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Among others it comes with a Samsung Exynos quad-core processor (same as a Samsung Galaxy 3 iirc)

Yes and no, says Wikipedia :)

The S III comes in two distinct variations that differ primarily in the internal hardware. The international S III version has Samsung's Exynos 4 Quad system on a chip (SoC) containing a 1.4 GHz quad-core ARM Cortex-A9 central processing unit (CPU) and an ARM Mali-400 MP graphics processing unit (GPU).

Very nice in any case!

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
oh baby, this is sexy.
Very nice in any case!

thanks guys! i have finished setting up but there is a bug in the current image where xbmc can't see any SMB shares unless it is run as root. i plugged in a wireless keyboard and manually keyed-in the sudo cmd but i prefer not doing it at each boot-up. the plastic case handles heat quite well but haven't started streaming any movies yet. i am also trying to add an external hdd and see if i can install steam and play some controller-centric games.

Yes and no, says Wikipedia :)
The S III comes in two distinct variations that differ primarily in the internal hardware. The international S III version has Samsung's Exynos 4 Quad system on a chip (SoC) containing a 1.4 GHz quad-core ARM Cortex-A9 central processing unit (CPU) and an ARM Mali-400 MP graphics processing unit (GPU).

thanks for the clarification. i found Odroid as giving the best value among the SoC boards that i came across. if i had chosen for aesthetics values alone, then CuBox would have had my vote plus it already has a GeeXboX build.

NB: if you have an android smartphone, then you can use the XBMC Remote over your wifi. no IR-based remote controller is required.

phitsc

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
lanux128, can you comment on the quality of the analog audio out of the ODROID-U3? I'm running Raspbmc on a Raspberry Pi as an audio player and the Raspberry's headphone output definitely has room for improvement.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
lanux128, can you comment on the quality of the analog audio out of the ODROID-U3? I'm running Raspbmc on a Raspberry Pi as an audio player and the Raspberry's headphone output definitely has room for improvement.

@phitsc: currently i am using it more as a video player (audio via HDMI) but wrt to analog audio-out i will try to find a pair of speakers and do a test for you. :)

phitsc

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks lanux128!

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
@phitsc: i plugged an old pair speakers into the Odroid and streamed music from Subsonic server. the quality of the audio, while not outstanding, was certainly listenable.