topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 5:01 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: GS-Base Mini-Review  (Read 52014 times)

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: GS-Base Mini-Review
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2018, 05:00 PM »
Where are we today? - Let's put aside the download issue.

The forums last post was six months ago, and some gibberish code shows up and the captcha does not show up.  Busted?

The program works good. 

A feature and a quirk. I just noticed how the long note sets up tabs on the right, rather elegant. (And one reason that program like Listpro does not compare.) It does change the height of the row, by about 5x, because of having a long note and it tells you blah blah in the space.  Is that a feature, a quirk, or something you just live with?

Last Bits du Jour Dec, 2017

"Citadel5 @martian
There are no unanswered questions on the support forums. Rarely it may take up to a few days before an answer is posted. "

Yeah, but is the forum busted?  A vibrant forum is key.  We can write you, but it is not the same thing.

If not GS-Base, what?  AirTable is one of the good web databases, but they do not have the heads-down data entry.  Back to Filemaker, Alpha, Access etc?  Anything else in the GS-Base niche?

Steven

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2018, 06:38 PM »
I think it's perfectly good as a database, and am still using it to record things for which I need to use such functionality.  It's a great deal for the price, and very functional, so I haven't really looked for anything else.

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2018, 02:03 AM »
I think it's perfectly good as a database, and am still using it to record things for which I need to use such functionality.  It's a great deal for the price, and very functional, so I haven't really looked for anything else.

I agree that it is the best tool I have seen for flat-file.  Beats ListPro (also a good program for fast entry, search etc) because of a much better note implementation, and some other reasons.

Have you worked with the relational aspect?  Can it produce a workable view where the name of File 1 (Contacts) shows up in the View of File 2 (Events).

Linking Tables
http://forum-eng.cit...pic.php?f=13&t=5

Good discussion.  Looks possible, but not particularly intuitive.  However, the simple drop-down (without search on the drop-down) is very easy, again a plus over ListPro, if I remember right.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 08:00 AM by Steven Avery »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2018, 12:36 PM »
Yes, I've done it in my uses, and while it's not exactly intuitive, it's pretty easy, and once you get down how to do it, easy to do for further implementations.  My only real problem with it is no interface to use from outside the application.  But that's not really a negative of the application- it just limits the use cases.

oblivion

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2018, 05:42 PM »
From GS-Base's Help:

Creating links between two tables is a special case of using calculated fields and the vLookUp_ex function from the Cross-table summarizing & lookup formula category. It behaves similarly to the standard spreadsheet vLookUp.

I haven't used it much for a while, but I still think it's a very decent program.
-- bests, Tim

...this space unintentionally left blank.

oblivion

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2019, 08:28 AM »
Just a note for anyone following this topic : Bits du Jour have this on offer again right now.

I've found some recent uses for GS-Base that have reawakened my enthusiasm. A bit niche, I grant, but one of the systems I support can only output report data as .csv. GS-Base imports it perfectly, has an option to convert textual dates to date fields at import, handles all sorts of helpful search and filtering options and spits data out in various portable formats too.

The formulae it supports remain very Excel-like and my brain isn't but it's not GS-Base's fault that the syntax my brain is happiest with is different to its style!)

I bought a lifetime license though, so the upgrade policy is no longer an issue for me. I understand the concerns expressed above but still feel that the bang you're getting for your buck is pretty much unmatched :)
-- bests, Tim

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2019, 02:55 PM »
FWIW
Something Excel/Access failed (row limit) and even the likes of Gnumeric choked on GS-Base opened in a matter of seconds. In this case it is a ~5.5 million rows list of movies, a dataset provided by IMDB.

oblivion

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2023, 12:24 PM »
Just waking up an old thread: I'm still using this, the product is still being developed. I bought a second licence so a colleague and I can use a database I built for the storage of user details, and she (by no means any sort of techie!) finds it works well for her as well as me.

My favourite thing right now is its ability to make custom drop-down lists for fields and either to specify a finite set of possible entries (like a field that can be True or False) or one that can be told to take anything it hasn't seen before and add it to the list of acceptable entries. Multiple selections are possible, you can set the order manually or have the list sorted alphabetically, and checkboxes are a brand new addition.

The Form view of the data is I think getting easier to work with. It's still really fast, and although I still miss being able to do the things I used to love Approach for, this is still a database with the best bang for the buck out there.

I intended to post a screenshot of a form view of a data item and discovered that my colleague has been playing with some of the design elements. Specifically fonts. Oh dear. Still, I guess it illustrates something:

testuser.pngGS-Base Mini-Review

There are four dropdown lists: three for predictable / static choices, one (job title) for a good way of accumulating things that might be reusable in the future and will save typing.

There are a few calculated fields -- UserID is either surname+first initial all in lower case (as illustrated) plus any content in the UIDSuffix field so you can deal with the 50th John Smith who rocks up... but if Login Name has content, it'll be that instead.

NewPass is a calculated field chosen by gluing together a randomly chosen attribute (usually colour) and a randomly chosen animal, from a separate table in the database. The calculation that handles that is very Excel-ish

=concatenate((vLookup_ex("PasswordConstructor",(int(randBetween(0,22))+1),"Row","PassA",0)),(vLookup_ex("PasswordConstructor",(int(randBetween(0,22))+1),"Row","PassB",0)))

and as the random number generator does what they generally do, it calculates a new password (a) any time anything happens, and (b) any time you press F9, so we pick one we like, ^C and ^V into the IssuedPwd field so it can be recorded.

What we do with this is use it to spit out a CSV of any records where Done = False and feed a mailmerge with it, after which Done is set to True.

Would that be useful to you? Probably not. If  DIY databases were popular, there'd be more of them and people would use spreadsheets for adding up. But if it's the sort of thing you need, you might not find a more cost-effective solution anywhere.

-- bests, Tim