topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 1:54 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: 86% of Gamers Prefer Free Games With Advertisements  (Read 9833 times)

phitsc

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
86% of Gamers Prefer Free Games With Advertisements
« on: April 01, 2014, 02:24 AM »
http://toucharcade.c...free-games-with-ads/

I guess the day when 100% of games are free with ads will be the day I stop playing games. I always cringe when I start reading about a cool new game and see that it'll be 'free to play'.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: 86% of Gamers Prefer Free Games With Advertisements
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 07:10 AM »
I hear you.. I hate to think where this trend is going.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 08:07 AM »
I'd be more willing to believe them if they shared the experiment and metrics they used to determine this  alleged fact. How you ask a question, or interpret a response, can radically affect an outcome in a survey.

I'm generally suspicious of any industry "paid-for" study. Especially when dealing with marketing consultants that have a vested interest in "confirming" the validity of an industry's desired outcome or supporting a decision already made.

We Are IHS

And we know that every decision matters. That’s why leaders around the world rely on IHS to help them make the best choices. As the premier provider of global market, industry and technical expertise, we can scale our thinking across virtually any operation and enterprise, from ground-level tactics to high-level strategy. At IHS, the technology portfolio is the unique combination of strong legacy brands and proven research methodologies. Leveraging proprietary market data, forecasts, and analyses, IHS Technology provides comprehensive industry coverage across all key technology sectors.

dsbs.jpg

Maybe what they're saying is, in fact, true. But it will take more than a bald assurance that "a study has found" to convince me this isn't largely a pile of self-serving bullshit being used to justify somebody's decision to change their business plan.

Seriously! What's comes next? An annual or monthly "subscription"  that lets you turn off their advertising?

That'd be a cute move since having that would allow a company to argue any ad blocking used with its software (or website) is now a license violation, right?

It's coming kiddies. You read it here first. >:(
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 08:25 AM by 40hz »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 08:16 AM »
http://toucharcade.c...free-games-with-ads/

I guess the day when 100% of games are free with ads will be the day I stop playing games. I always cringe when I start reading about a cool new game and see that it'll be 'free to play'.

That day will never come.  The % (whatever it is- I distrust their 'science' used to get the numbers) are casual gamers- which is why Zynga was so popular.  But notice Zynga's fall.  You have to continue to innovate, even with that in-built reliance on addicting gamers, or one day you'll find that your user base has moved onto the next cool thing.  Hardcore gamers will always pay to support games.  It's a smaller market, for sure... but a very voracious one.

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 10:08 AM »
Games with advertisement and free-to-play games can sometimes work. The problem is it opens up the opportunity of making easy money with scammy tactics like keeping your app going when it should be closed, popping up adds over the "continue" button at just the right time, huge adds with 5 pixel close buttons, etc.

I like to think if your revenue is based on selling your product, you are more likely to try to improve business by improving your product.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 11:02 AM »
April Fools!!!!!

Right? ... Right? :(

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2014, 12:15 PM »
86% of Gamers Prefer Free Games With Advertisements?

I must be among the elite 14%, since I prefer free games without.  :D

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2014, 01:49 PM »
86% of Gamers Prefer Free Games With Advertisements?

I must be among the elite 14%, since I prefer free games without.  :D

Yep. Because while they conveniently didn't report their study, whatever huge surge in casual "gamers" then creates a decently sized 14%, of whom *lots* of them are protesting! (Hooray for weighted statistics!)

So you can almost say that "86% of gamers prefer free games with ads. Meanwhile 86% of the remainder is posting their frustration in comments!"

8)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2014, 03:40 PM »
Reminds me of the old joke based on a Camel Cigarette ad that boasted "4 out of 5 smokers who tried one preferred Camels."

The tag line went: "But of their number 5 out of 5 said they still preferred doin' it with a woman."

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2014, 11:04 AM »
Some free games, like Path of Exile, are free-to-play without any ads. They just rely on micro-transactions to make money. Some are more sketchy about using that model than others, though.