topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:14 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: *NIX - List of 100 Open Source Replacements for Popular Security Tools  (Read 8075 times)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Updated list over at Datamation:

100 Open Source Replacements for Popular Security Tools

Download open source anti-virus software, firewalls, email gateways, penetration testing tools, security-focused Linux distributions and more.

The constant stream of news about the NSA and other government agencies spying on average citizens has more people than ever before concerned about privacy and security. While no one can guarantee you'll never be hacked, the open source community has a number of applications available that can help users protect their systems.

Whether you're worried about defending your home system from malware, safeguarding a corporate network from hackers or hiding your identity from a repressive government regime, open source tools are available to help. This month, we've put together a list of 100 such tools that can replace expensive closed source software. It includes a wide variety of free anti-virus, firewall, mail gateway, data loss prevention, penetration testing, encryption, content filtering and other applications that can replace expensive software.

As always, if you'd like to call attention to an open source security app that we missed in our list, feel free to make note in the comments section below.

<link here>

Datamation's website is a very useful resource. Well worth adding to your RSS feedreader. (http://www.datamation.com/rss.xml) :Thmbsup:

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Nice find  :up:

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
That article loses a lot of credibility with me when it lists Microsoft Internet Explorer as a "Popular Security Tool"  :P

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
That article loses a lot of credibility with me when it lists Microsoft Internet Explorer as a "Popular Security Tool"  :P

Sing-a-long!
100 "Security Tools" on the wall, 100 "Security Tools" ... take IE down, Pwn it to the ground, 99 (actual) security tools on the wall!

;D :D

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
That article loses a lot of credibility with me when it lists Microsoft Internet Explorer as a "Popular Security Tool"  :P

@Deo - umm...the only place IE is listed is on the line where it says a particular piece of software "replaces Internet Explorer" AFAICT.  :huh:

Like so:

Screenshot from 2014-03-24 18:22:29.png

I don't see where it calls IE a security tool...or even recommends it for anything. (Why would it possibly include it btw? IE isn't open source to begin with.) 8)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
That article loses a lot of credibility with me when it lists Microsoft Internet Explorer as a "Popular Security Tool"  :P

@Deo - umm...the only place IE is listed is on the line where it says a particular piece of software "replaces Internet Explorer" AFAICT.  :huh:

I don't see where it calls IE a security tool...or even recommends it for anything. (Why would it possibly include it btw? IE isn't open source to begin with.) 8)

The trick is to look at the name/title of the article. 100 Replacements for Popular Security Tools. Five of the things on that list are replacements for IE. Therefore, the article considers IE a popular security tool.

But I was being somewhat facetious. (c:

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
@Deo - Wow! All that from just a title? :huh:

I don't think I could get that logical on a bet. ;D :Thmbsup:

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I don't think I could get that logical on a bet. ;D :Thmbsup:

I have a knack for twisting words around into various meanings. I keep telling people I'd be a pretty good lawyer.

But I only use my powers for good! 8) Or for humor. And it's not always good humor. ;)

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks for this.  Ought to be better than weeding through sectools.org for the Linux versions...  :Thmbsup:

Oh, wait... THOSE security tools... OK, I gotcha ;)