topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 9:16 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: My pop/imap Android experience  (Read 21223 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: My pop/imap Android experience
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2014, 11:40 AM »
ok, so the problem is idiot gmail again.

If you reply to an email in your inbox, gmail sends that message to archive.  I hate that.  leave it in the inbox, i'll archive when I'm good and ready.  Anyone have a solution for this?

Vurbal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • Mostly harmless
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2014, 12:35 PM »
I don't really even care if the GMail app has all the features I want or need because Android's sync model makes it a non-starter for me. Until getting my new tablet I hadn't used Android (or any mobile OS) for a couple years but I'm sure my old phone (running 2.2.2 or 2.2.3) gave me a lot more granular control over sync operations. On my Samsung tablet (running 4.2.2) the only options are to either sync everything related to my Google account or nothing. Naturally I choose nothing.

Sounds like something Samsung has customized the OS with. The "vanilla" Android experience offers you plenty of customization about what to sync or not. Here's a small sample of a few of the choices on my Android device (found in Settings -> Accounts -> Google):
 (see attachment in previous post)
I'd only use vanilla Android or a custom ROM like CyanogenMod. All the other providers muck up the OS with awful customizations that ruin the experience.

I wondered if that wasn't the case. Unfortunately I didn't have any non-Samsung devices to check it against. The only Sync settings I can find (so maybe they've just hidden them) are for accounts rather than apps. Your screenshot is exactly what I was expecting to see.

Yet another reason I prefer to start with Vanilla Android, untainted by an OEM interface like TouchWiz.
I learned to say the pledge of allegiance
Before they beat me bloody down at the station
They haven't got a word out of me since
I got a billion years probation
- The MC5

Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the danger of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of ''crackpot'' than the stigma of conformity.
- Thomas J. Watson, Sr

It's not rocket surgery.
- Me

I recommend reading through my Bio before responding to any of my posts. It could save both of us a lot of time and frustration.

Vurbal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • Mostly harmless
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2014, 12:36 PM »

If you reply to an email in your inbox, gmail sends that message to archive.  I hate that.  leave it in the inbox, i'll archive when I'm good and ready.  Anyone have a solution for this?

Interesting. My Gmail has never done that to the best of my recollection. I wonder if there's an option I toggled so long ago that I can't remember doing it.
- The MC5

Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the danger of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of ''crackpot'' than the stigma of conformity.
- Thomas J. Watson, Sr

It's not rocket surgery.
- Me

I recommend reading through my Bio before responding to any of my posts. It could save both of us a lot of time and frustration.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2014, 12:44 PM »

Interesting. My Gmail has never done that to the best of my recollection. I wonder if there's an option I toggled so long ago that I can't remember doing it.
I found it!  There's an option in the general settings for gmail for hiding the "send and archive" button.  Silly gmail.

This whole 21st century obsession with over-simplifying everything is so extreme to me.  I hate it, but I understand it.  Lots of checkboxes and options that we geeks like is nice for us, but intimidating to others.  So now everything is way too oversimplified and want everything done with one button.  But the problem is that all this technology requires rather complex input from the end user, there's no way around it.  So instead of just having three simple buttons which would be "intimidating", we have one button...but with a long press option.  Really?  Is that really that much easier.  end rant.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2014, 01:00 PM »
So instead of just having three simple buttons which would be "intimidating", we have one button...but with a long press option.  Really?  Is that really that much easier.  end rant.

Only if the button is green and has the words "Don't Panic" next to it.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2014, 01:06 PM »
So instead of just having three simple buttons which would be "intimidating", we have one button...but with a long press option.  Really?  Is that really that much easier.  end rant.

ha!  but it has to be glossy right?  or are we past that now?  i think we're doing the uniform color simplicity thing now....isn't that what ios5 ushered in?

Vurbal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • Mostly harmless
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2014, 01:18 PM »
I wouldn't characterize it as a 21st century phenomenon, but I'm completely in agreement about it being taken too far. I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of making everything as simple as possible, but not simpler. Your issue finding this Gmail setting is a perfect example of what happens when you go past that point. It appears simpler but in reality the opposite is true.

The real problem is that the reason for oversimplifying isn't, done to serve the user. Instead it's used to further the interests of the interface provider which are often, arguably more often than not, at odds with the user's interests.
- The MC5

- Thomas J. Watson, Sr

It's not rocket surgery.
- Me

Vurbal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • Mostly harmless
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2014, 01:20 PM »

Once the Vogons are on their way that's probably as useful as anything else.
- The MC5

- Thomas J. Watson, Sr

It's not rocket surgery.
- Me

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2014, 03:13 PM »
I found it!  There's an option in the general settings for gmail for hiding the "send and archive" button.  Silly gmail.

I never had a problem noticing/knowing the difference between the Send & Archive button and just the plain old vanilla Send button. They're right next to each other. It's not that hard to look before you click.

Gmail Send and Archive.png

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2014, 04:51 PM »
If you reply to an email in your inbox, gmail sends that message to archive.  I hate that.  leave it in the inbox, i'll archive when I'm good and ready.  Anyone have a solution for this?
I found it!  There's an option in the general settings for gmail for hiding the "send and archive" button.  Silly gmail.

So instead of just having three simple buttons which would be "intimidating", we have one button...but with a long press option.  Really?  Is that really that much easier.  end rant.

I never had a problem noticing/knowing the difference between the Send & Archive button and just the plain old vanilla Send button. They're right next to each other. It's not that hard to look before you click.
 (see attachment in previous post)
I didn't say it was "that hard".  I think the trick here is that the normal send button may have been there before, and perhaps even blue.  And it got changed, and I didn't notice.

actually...it looks like it's been there since 2009.  I must have changed a setting unintentionally recently.