topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:16 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Black Screen  (Read 10376 times)

oxo

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Black Screen
« on: February 25, 2014, 06:33 AM »
Hi, I have just registered, and when I try to capture a window, all  I get it a totally black window.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Sorry I may have posted this in the wrong forum
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 06:42 AM by oxo, Reason: [b]Sorry I may have posted this in the wrong forum[/b] »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Black Screen
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 06:41 AM »
Welcome oxo.

The problem is a security program actively preventing Screenshot Captor for capturing the screen.
It's inexcusable that these security tools are doing this without warning the user what they are doing.

See here for more info on how to fix: https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=20962.0

oxo

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 07:13 AM »
Thanks for your quick reply Mouser.

I don't have those particular programs installed, but I do have Avast, SuperAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes.
I will try to check those out.

Thanks again.

oxo

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 03:35 AM »
Update

Installed Picpick, every thing is now OK,

Thanks for your time.  :Thmbsup:

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 12:33 PM »
So does PicPick work without any setting adjustments?
Seems unsafe to me.
Avast blocks ScreenshotCaptor, but not PicPick? or Trusteer Rapport?
Do you still use Trusteer Rapport, like you said in another place?
Is Trusteer Rapport not blocking PicPick?

oxo

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 01:00 PM »
Hi cmpm, unfortunately I am back at square one!
Picpick worked OK yesterday when I first installed it, but today I have the black screen back again.
Yesterday I individually turned off each of my security programs, including Trusteer Rapport, but the same thing happened,
I then turned them all off at the same time, but still no joy.

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2014, 01:13 PM »
Trusteer Rapport and/or Avast have blocked screenshots through an add-on or other type of addition directly to your browsers.

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2014, 01:14 PM »
In other words, the Avast and Trusteer Rapport is not turned off.

oxo

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2014, 04:54 AM »
In other words, the Avast and Trusteer Rapport is not turned off.

No, as I said in my earlier post, " I individually turned off each of my security programs, including Trusteer Rapport, but the same thing happened,
I then turned them all off at the same time, but still no joy."

In fact, the Trusteer Rapport program, you have to confirm that you want to turn it off,  by entering a series of letters and number's.

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2014, 07:20 AM »
What I'm saying is that either Avast or Trusteer Rapport is still actively blocking screenshot attempts by way of some change made by them to your computer.
Because, normally a screenshot program will work without being blocked, if there is not a program that has changed something in your computer.
If it's not able to do screenshots, something has stopped your computer from taking screenshots, Right?

Vurbal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • Mostly harmless
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2014, 10:38 AM »
A quick search on Trusteer Rapport leads me to believe it's probably the culprit. Blocking screen capture is one of its most basic functions. It's only supposed to do that when you connect to a certain type of server, obviously, but I'd be willing to bet it's at fault here.
I learned to say the pledge of allegiance
Before they beat me bloody down at the station
They haven't got a word out of me since
I got a billion years probation
- The MC5

Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the danger of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of ''crackpot'' than the stigma of conformity.
- Thomas J. Watson, Sr

It's not rocket surgery.
- Me

I recommend reading through my Bio before responding to any of my posts. It could save both of us a lot of time and frustration.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2014, 02:16 PM »
A quick search on Trusteer Rapport leads me to believe it's probably the culprit.

+1 - After letting the name sink in for a bit I remembered why it sounded so familiar. After freshly deploying a network with brand new equipment. The doctor's machine started crashing randomly in the middle of just about everything. As the doctor - with reasonable credibility - was swearing to having done nothing other than go to their bank's website ... I spent the next week (or so...) with Dell's support troubleshooting a "hardware" problem.

Then there was made the most casual of offhanded comments regarding the bank's "recommended security software" that "had to be installed" (according to the popup window...) ... Before the accounts could be accessed.

Tripple Dipped in Psycho2.jpg

So after said Trusteer Rapport was unceremoniously beaten to death with a hammer, the machine not only suddenly had a miraculous recovery...but has been running flawlessly ever since for some 3 whole years now.

And just for the purpose of belaboring the point. Here is an excerpt from a security article regarding TR from 2010 (I'm sure it's gotten worse):
In these cases, a critical legal question that often arises is whether the thieves compromised the customer’s system or that of the bank’s. I mention this because Trusteer recently built a new component into Rapport called Flashlight, which tries to give partner banks the ability to remotely check to see if their customers’ systems are infected with malicious software. Whether the banks will proactively use that feature to stop online banking fraud is unclear, but such a feature would make it tougher for small and mid-sized businesses that lose money to online bank fraud to claim that their computers weren’t the sole cause of the loss.

Right! So it's quite literally up your ass with a flashlight for the purpose of protecting...who?

oxo

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2014, 05:43 PM »
I have just un-installed Trusteer Rapport from my computer and rebooted.......and hey-presto, all is back to normal.  :Thmbsup:
In Trusteer Rapport, there is a section called "dashboard" and in there, is a section called Screenshots, which should give the total number of screen shots that Trusteer blocked, the total number given that was blocked is zero!

Many thanks to all who participated in solving this problem.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2014, 08:43 PM »
It's great to see when people work together to solve a problem and don't give up -- you can be sure someone else who has a similar problem will stumble across this thread at some point, and it will save them some time and hassle.