topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:32 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: ScreenShot Captor is a Mess  (Read 13450 times)

PhoneyVirus

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
ScreenShot Captor is a Mess
« on: February 13, 2014, 02:06 PM »
I just want to capture a screen shot of a normal window and this app is by far a complete mess, never in my life did I see so much text and setting for one simple thing really it's a fucking mess clean the damn app up to much text all over the place period.

He's the problem I just want to click and capture the windows but then I do it's just white I want normal color blue that's it, no Aero shit neither do I want to spend other minute fucking around with this app no not until it's clean can someone just tell me want I need to do to capture windows and not have black on the corners of the image Jesus help please.

P.s this is coming from a guy that mods/hacks hardware, repairs PC and don't stop razing bar for noting but this app is a fucking mess. Not to shit all over your app but come on man just look at it. Plus the forms what a mess clean it up make it simple because it's not by no means simple.

Normal windows select it click active window that's it and not to have black on the corners, clean blue non Aero without black on the corners simple but it turns out it ant help me please. :tellme:      

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: ScreenShot Captor is a Mess
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 02:24 PM »
Screenshot Captor does have a ton of options and can be overwhelming if you dive into them.

However, you should be able to install it, run it, and just hit the PrtScreen to capture the screen.  At that point you should be shown a preview and given some options about what you want to do with the captured image.

If you want to capture a window with transparent corners, select it and hit Alt+PrtScr.

Everything should work nicely by default and not present you with too much complication.

Does that part at least work for you?  Can you be a little clearer about where exactly you started having trouble?

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 02:29 PM »
@PhoneyVirus, I'd say: this one does a lot - if you dont want that, go try another app.
If you dont know any, try a search engine: there's a few comparitive reviews out there.
(After the initial outrage, I did have a laugh at your post, but dude, that's no way to get help :tellme:)

[edit] mouser got in there ahead of me [/edit]
Tom

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 02:38 PM »
i should say i had the same reaction that tomos did -- it doesn't sound like you are going to be happy with Screenshot Captor -- there are so many alternatives -- try one until you find one that works like you want.

PhoneyVirus

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 04:46 PM »
Okay I know I was a little bit outraged but that's just the way I felt and think the developer had the right to know how I felt, because I would be the same if I was creating something. Don't get me wrong I love this powerful app but the above rage is what really bother me the most when I got upset.

I'll download the newest updated and follow up from there.

When I read the first post over again it was kinda funny because when I get mad I just let it flow all out. On the plus side of things I do like ranting when comes to something it re-leaves stress and that's just what I was under especially when you working with something else and then jump to this just to have more problems.

I don't give up that easily on noting I'll try to see it out to the every end no matter what it takes. ;)

Thanks for letting me Rant! :Thmbsup:   

longrun

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 04:59 PM »
mouser and tomos:

You're far too gracious. Just ban this rude, profane, semi-literate ("re-leaves stress") person from the forum.

PhoneyVirus

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 05:03 PM »
You could've just said gracious bastard you douche bag. The way I look at it is that your no better you gracious prick, see I can do that too.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2014, 05:09 PM »
everyone cool your jets.

as i've said before, i'm prone to fly into fits of rage at other software that frustrates me, so it's impossible for me to get mad at others for venting their software rage if they experience it using one of my apps.

PhoneyVirus

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2014, 05:19 PM »
Installed the Portable version never change a setting Pressed Alt + PrtScr and there's small black lines around the image when paste in WordPerfect X6 or IrfanView sure using black for the background you don't see it and the image looks really clean, changing it to any other color and you'll see the black lines around the image and corners. Make's it look square and not around has it should be with Aero glass enabled or disabled.

PhoneyVirus

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2014, 05:34 PM »

See the black lines around the image making it look square with the corners black, besides that the app is great I just want to remove those black lines.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2014, 05:37 PM »
SC has a feature that will remove those, and it is enabled by default when you use Alt+PrtScr to capture the active window.

You should should see the screen flash black and white while it captures that window, and it should remove them.

(that's assuming you haven't changed any options related to window transparency capture).

Are you capturing that window using Alt+PrtScr?

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2014, 05:54 PM »
mouser and tomos:
You're far too gracious. Just ban this rude, profane, semi-literate ("re-leaves stress") person from the forum.
If you placed a ban on people who were sometimes "rude" or "profane" or "semi-literate" you might risk banning most of the members of this forum - including myself. Who amongst us, I wonder, can claim to have never been "rude" or "profane" or "semi-literate", either deliberately or inadvertently - i.e., without realising it?

Sure, tick them off for it, maybe - especially if they are serial offenders or don't seem to realise/care what their behaviours are - but, if they self-correct or apologise - as @PhoneyVirus seems to have done (above) - then fine. We're only fallible humans, after all.
A lot of people who use this forum probably do so because either they:
(a) require help/assistance on some matter, or
(b) have already received (a) and wish to return the favour and leave tracks to some useful/helpful knowledge gained.

Some time back I mulled over the idea of banning irrational people who (say) strung out or repeated 3 or more logical fallacies in a set of statements, but then I realised that to be irrational is human, and that (as E. De Bono put it) critical-rational thinking is a skill that we need to learn - for example, like learning to touch-type. Many of us are "two-fingered thinkers", as De Bono said.
So I dropped the idea of banning irrational people, as I realised that the people who (say) strung out or repeated 3 or more logical fallacies in a set of statements were arguably those most in need of help, and banning them was unlikely to help them to further evolve/develop their potential for critical-rational thinking skills. The best thing you could do seemed to be to simply and clearly point out the logical fallacies, as objectively as possible, and let the individual take from that the responsibility for doing some incremental work in the self-development department. As the old saying goes, "You can take a horse to water, but you can't make it drink".

When it comes to rants though , the idea of using delimiters for the rant seems quite useful - that is [RANT]...[/RANT] - as it also demonstrates that the writer acknowledges that they are ranting and wants to communicate that so there can be little misunderstanding.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 05:24 PM by IainB, Reason: Minor correction. »

longrun

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2014, 06:17 PM »

If you placed a ban on people who were sometimes "rude" or "profane" or "semi-literate" you might risk banning most of the members of this forum - including myself.

I strongly disagree. If this were true I would have left DC a long time ago. DC is notable for its civility and sense of community. And if you, IainB, were inadvertently rude I would be a lot more forgiving because you've supported DC not only financially but with your extremely good software reviews.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2014, 06:35 PM »
@longrun: I think I understand what you are saying there, but, as you quoted, please note that I did use the word "sometimes".
I was not speaking about people who were always like that. That would be a different kettle of fish.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2014, 06:48 PM »
Thank you for sticking up for the site, longrun -- it is appreciated.  But let's remember that sometimes the best way to promote civility is to demonstrate it even in the face of a challenge.  I think it is better for us to be a good example, and it costs us nothing to offer people the benefit of the doubt.

longrun

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2014, 07:30 PM »
-
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 09:09 AM by longrun »

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2014, 07:31 PM »
SC has a feature that will remove those, and it is enabled by default when you use Alt+PrtScr to capture the active window.
You should should see the screen flash black and white while it captures that window, and it should remove them.
(that's assuming you haven't changed any options related to window transparency capture).

I can attest to the fact that Alt+PrtScr woks as described, but sometimes, when viewed in irfanview, a SC capture image may seem to have the squared-off corners/outlines in grey (not black), and sometimes the exact same image (i.e., same file) will not have them - i.e. it is not always consistent.

Furthermore, it varies depending on whether the image is viewed against a light background or a dark background, but even then, in irfanview, it is not always consistent.

I think this may be a display-related (GPU?) rendering variability - some kind of a bug - but not necessarily a bug in SC.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 07:40 PM by IainB, Reason: Minor corrections. »

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2014, 08:21 PM »
I'll try a different take.

So to the original poster, P-V, try this.

ScCaptor Into Sticky.png

No black lines.  :)

That's my secret hidden feature I requested a while back. I just click on SC, it changes to Red and gives me a crosshair. I draw a square area to capture. I didn't need all the whistles either, so I had Mouser make it into a "1-click app".

Then I open Tom Revell's program Stickies and paste it in there. Stickies is fun because you can do light annotations of the image. Then you can save the sticky as an image.

Is that simple enough for you? : )

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2014, 08:35 PM »
Ian makes a good point!

Screenshot Captor, when properly working, will make those corners TRANSPARENT in the image file (png).

The following things can make it APPEAR as if the corners are wrong, when they are really captured perfectly:
1. If your image viewing program shows transparent areas as black.
2. If you save the image as a format that does not support transparency (jpg, bmp).
3. If you copy the image to clipboard it may not preserve transparency (suggested by hamradio)

So the first thing to do is check the Screenshot Captor window itself and see how the corners look.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 01:15 PM by mouser »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2014, 01:15 PM »
Added another possibility above noted by hamradio.

The problem may be in it being copied to clipboard -- can you try just looking at the image inside SC and see if its ok, and if so, drag and drop it to your other program instead of using clipboard.

PhoneyVirus

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2014, 01:43 PM »

No default settings with Portable version.

Yes and it is flashing black and white.

Saving it as Jpg removes the black lines and makes the image look clean without any square corners, but not for Windows .Bmp as it keeps the black around the image as you can see above. I'll continue to keep testing it if you like, the below is just what I was looking for clean windows with no black lines.

Spend about three hours tweaking settings and all I had to do was save as Jpg, although when I first used the program with Aero glass off it never give me this problem. I could just copy the image from Screenshot Captor without having to save as Jpg. Something up with your program what I don't know, first I thought it could've been Vista Switcher, Display Fusion or because I'm using two monitors don't know but what ever it maybe I never had to save as before and the image looked clean. Drop me a packet if you want me to test something else out but as of now found out what I need to do to remove the black lines.

P.S thanks again for letting me Rant and could I suggest something like hovering for more information when your in the settings because it looks like you went text crazy within the settings, that's the only thing that piss me off the most everything else was straightforward, also when you right-click help, check for updates Visit forum and about should be under something called Support. Don't make it so intimidating with text. Over all your program is by far the most powerful screenshot captor out there in the wild period. 

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2014, 01:45 PM »
You should use PNG file format for screenshots.
It is far smaller than BMP and preserves all information including transparency (jpg degrades screenshots and has no transparency).

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2014, 05:41 PM »
It is far smaller than BMP and preserves all information including transparency (jpg degrades screenshots and has no transparency).
Doh! Yes, of course. Thankyou. I had forgotten that. That might also help to explain the inconsistent viewing in irfanview that I was describing above...
EDIT: Oh, no it doesn't. I was using two SC captures saved as .PNG files.

PhoneyVirus

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2014, 07:05 PM »

See that's just the thing when I do it has black lines and the only way to make it clean is to save as Jpg and like I said above save as any other file type is has the black lines. There has to be a bug conflicting with some other program I'm using or in SC itself.

Default Setting's press Alt + Print Screen Key and I end up with black lines.

If you like I can take a Screen shot in every file type to show you the end results. :Thmbsup:

PhoneyVirus

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2014, 07:13 PM »
Sorry for the double post didn't read the above.

Screenshot Captor window itself and see how the corners look.

In SC the image looks clean, but copying the image without saving it to in this case Jpg creates black lines around the image, and when pasting it in WordPerfect X6 or IrFanView it truly shows what the image looks like hell try it yourself and see what I talking about.

I can take a image in every File Type if you want me too with Aero Glass enabled and yes I still have Aero Glass enabled.