topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:26 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: EXPIRED: Perfect Effects 8 Premium Edition *FREE* for a limited time  (Read 18363 times)

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Via OzBargain:

2014-03-31 11_05_06.png

Requires 8GB of RAM and a 64-bit operating system, Windows 7 or higher, or Mac OS X 10.7 or higher.

Reportedly works with 4GB of RAM.

Another one for Curt's extensive software collection  :D
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 03:46 PM by 4wd, Reason: Free again, updated OzB link »

jaf

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Perfect Effects 8 Premium Edition for *FREE* until 28-Jan-2014
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 11:54 AM »
I own the version 8 suite and I can say that this is a very good program if your a photographer. 

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 11:01 PM »
Great find!

Thank you, sir.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 06:10 AM »
Got it.  Thanks.  :)

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 12:54 AM »
For those that missed it the first time, it's FREE again for a limited time, (don't know how limited).

See OP for the link.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Perfect Effects 8 Premium Edition *FREE* (again) for a limited time
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 03:43 AM »
Looks interesting. Thanks!

hamradio

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Amateur Radio Guy
    • View Profile
    • HamRadioUSA.net
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2014, 05:41 PM »
Would be nice if it at least had some basic resizing/crop in it, but I guess they want to charge you for that with Perfect Photo Suite...

As if you was gonna edit a photo in it atm it appears to me that you would have to save it to a lossless format then resize/crop in another program before saving as a jpg.  Thats the only downside I see to that program if you want to use it as a standalone effects program.

Note: At least I could not find a resize/crop in it.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 06:37 PM by hamradio, Reason: Edit: Changed to Perfect Photo Suite »

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2014, 10:01 PM »
Well, it does say Perfect Effects - I would have put cropping/resizing under basic editing not an effect as such.  :)

*Updated image in OP to show Limited Time Offer.

hamradio

• Joined in 2006
  • Amateur Radio Guy
    • View Profile
    • HamRadioUSA.net
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2014, 10:14 PM »
Well, it does say Perfect Effects - I would have put cropping/resizing under basic editing not an effect as such.  :)

*Updated image in OP to show Limited Time Offer.

But the effect(s) won't be perfect if you want to just save it as a jpg, then have to go into another tool to crop/resize...cause it will lose more pixel data in a 2nd wave of compression.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2014, 11:20 PM »
But the effect(s) won't be perfect if you want to just save it as a jpg, then have to go into another tool to crop/resize...cause it will lose more pixel data in a 2nd wave of compression.

Normally you'd save it in a non-lossy format if you're switching between programs, eg. TIFF.

hamradio

• Joined in 2006
  • Amateur Radio Guy
    • View Profile
    • HamRadioUSA.net
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2014, 11:28 PM »

Normally you'd save it in a non-lossy format if you're switching between programs, eg. TIFF.

Indeed.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2014, 01:08 AM »
Well, I downloaded it, installed it, and ran it and at startup it failed with an obscure and apparently random error number - different every time.
So I repeated after a second download. Same result.
About to give up on it unless anyone can suggest a workaround.

Ah wait, I just found this in the support page:
I am receiving an “Unknown Error – xxx” – the number is different each time.
This error appears immediately after launch and is a different number each time.   Please follow these instructions to resolve this issue 1. Go to: StartControl PanelAdministrative ToolsServices 2. In this window, look for these three services: Windows Event Log, Task Scheduler, and Nalpeiron Licensing Service 3. Make sure all three services Status is listed as “Running” and…

EDIT: Fixed it:
...Instead of double clicking on the .exe installer file please RIGHT CLICK and choose RUN AS THE ADMINISTRATOR...
Worked a treat. Nice GUI. Will find out if it is of any use to me now...
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 01:30 AM by IainB, Reason: Added fix details. »

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2014, 06:48 AM »
Would be nice if it at least had some basic resizing/crop in it, but I guess they want to charge you for that with Perfect Photo Suite...

Thats the only downside I see to that program if you want to use it as a standalone effects program.

Note: At least I could not find a resize/crop in it.

Indeed, if its billed as a stand alone application - which it is - then it needs to have the basic staple functions for the file format, and it doesn't get any more basic than resize and crop with images. That's like creating a text editor that doesn't do cut and paste ... I may not even install this thing.

verszipo

• Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2014, 08:19 AM »
Well, it can be used "stand alone", but it's intended to be used with other programs, for example with Perfect Suite or with Lightroom, so the "basic image manipulations" (like size/crop) are not supposed to be in it, they are supposed to be done by the other program.

I know that for someone who doesn't intend to use it with Perfect Suite or Lightroom it's annoying, but it would also be annoying for me to have a resize in a program that's supposed to be a plugin/extension to Lightroom.

Also, don't forget that Perfect Effects is supposed to be the last step in the photo manipulation workflow, while resize/cut should be one of the first things you do.

Besides, it's free, what more can you ask from it ? :P

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2014, 09:35 AM »
for some reason I thought this was for gamers, when it was first posted, so I didn't check the post. Well, today I was given my third chance, so I finally read the thread! Thank you, 4wd, Revo reports that I now have 178 programs installed. No, there is not a digit missing...  8)

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2014, 06:15 PM »
Revo reports that I now have 178 programs installed. No, there is not a digit missing...  8)

Yes, but that's only the number of file manager programs you have installed  :P

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2014, 02:43 AM »
Yes, but that's only the number of file manager programs you have installed

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2014, 06:56 AM »
Well, it can be used "stand alone", but it's intended to be used with other programs, for example with Perfect Suite or with Lightroom, so the "basic image manipulations" (like size/crop) are not supposed to be in it, they are supposed to be done by the other program.

And you could use that exact same logic to explain away the need for the open and save dialogs, as they are after all rather pointless for a plugin. So I guess this is to stand alone...with friends. My definition of alone is a bit different I guess.

I know that for someone who doesn't intend to use it with Perfect Suite or Lightroom it's annoying, but it would also be annoying for me to have a resize in a program that's supposed to be a plugin/extension to Lightroom.

I'm sure there are a medley of things that can be toggled on or off as the software is started in either one of plugin or standalone modes. There is no "have to" in affording one options, however in omitting thing it does force one to have to futz with yet another piece of software to do a single (quick image modification) thing.

Also, don't forget that Perfect Effects is supposed to be the last step in the photo manipulation workflow, while resize/cut should be one of the first things you do.

That assumes a great deal about ones workflow...and according to whose rules? Perhaps someone wanted to dial in a few details while the image was still large/complete before dropping/cropping it to the finished size? I'm not a graphic artist with 100% of my time and space dedicated to image manipulation. I'm a network administrator that occasionally needs to do something quick with an image and therefore don't have time to waste going boing, boing, boing, between applications while trying to accomplish some probably trivial task for a user that got stuck needing X for Y in preparation for a deadline of some kind.

Besides, it's free, what more can you ask from it ? :P

Actually it's normally $100 according to the add in the OP...and I can ask for the rest of it in the scant few moments while this is still a free country. :D

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2014, 11:48 AM »
   ...Perhaps someone wanted to dial in a few details while the image was still large/complete before dropping/cropping it to the finished size?

IMO an image gets more difficult to *improve*, as the size gets smaller so cropping or resize is one of my last edits.

I'm not a graphic artist with 100% of my time and space dedicated to image manipulation. I'm a network administrator that occasionally needs to do something quick with an image and therefore don't have time to waste going boing, boing, boing, between applications while trying to accomplish some probably trivial task for a user that got stuck needing X for Y in preparation for a deadline of some kind.

I'm not a graphic artist nor a network admin, not enough interest or brain cells, respectively.  PSP-9 was my choice, not free for me, but all my boinging is done without plugins.
It appears to be free here: http://www.oldversio...s/paint-shop-pro-9-0  Note: UAYOR. This is just one example of where it is offered for free.
My edits are pretty quick; though I'm in no hurry.  The Help and Context Help sections are equally useful.  Lot easier than using the 1.5 inch thick manual.   ;D
It opens in a Windows window, so it's not stand alone but it may as well be.  Anything one may want to change, add, remove, etc. is right there... somewhere ...
Once you've learned where things are you can customize Your Workspace and save it.  This includes custom context menus, custom hotkeys, custom toolbars...

----------

I did watch the *contrast demo*.  This is just a more/less-contrast program?
Just showing end-result images are pointless.  Unfortunately this is usually a sign of deception IMO.  The cute little baby in the basket is a good example.
It's a whole lot easier to make a modern color photo look old; than the other way around.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2014, 12:00 PM »
It appears to be free here: http://www.oldversio...s/paint-shop-pro-9-0  Note: UAYOR. This is just one example of where it is offered for free.

Damn, cool site man. One of my favorites was (the unfortunately 16-bit) Jasc ImageCommander v2.00 (from 1996) until I jumped to a 64-bit machine here at work.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Just in case you missed it the first and second time, Curt  :P

Yes, it's back again ... see OP.

y0himba

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Yar.
    • View Profile
    • y0himba.net
    • Donate to Member

Damn, cool site man. One of my favorites was (the unfortunately 16-bit) Jasc ImageCommander v2.00 (from 1996) until I jumped to a 64-bit machine here at work.

In for one, still working April 2nd 7:49am EST.

I still use Jasc animated GIF maker.  I got it with Paint Shop Pro back in the day.